Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Ohlund Likely Won't Play This Year

NEW YORK Nobody is saying it, but it seems clear Mattias Ohlund will not play this season.

The Lightning defenseman has not played a regular-season game because of two bum knees, is not skating, and GM Steve Yzerman acknow*ledged Thursday there is no timetable for him to do so.

Ohlund contributes, though, as an ad hoc assistant coach. Beginning with the Jan. 20-21 road trip to Dallas and Phoenix, Ohlund has watched games from the press box (with a special eye on the defense), taking notes and passing along what he observes to the coaching staff and players.

"He's a really bright hockey guy and well-respected," Yzerman said. "He's got a lot to offer to us in watching the games and watching our defensemen and being able to work with them, particularly the younger guys, about the finer points of playing the position."

"He's a good leader," coach Guy Boucher said. "So having him around is good for him and good for the team."

Ohlund, 35, who has four years left on a seven-year, $25.25 million contract, had arthroscopic surgery on both knees over the summer to clean out what the team called "loose bodies." He has not skated since mid November and declined to comment.
    Link

vCash
    Two knees surgeries on a large aging defenseman....not surprised.

Thing is, he still has quite a bit left on his contract, so the Bolts are stuck with him.

I suppose he could always recover to play next season, but given that I never was impressed with his skating ability (since joining Tampa anyways) or puck handling skills, I don't hold high hopes for him to be a major contributor for the duration of his contract.

His best asset, if he is healthy next year, would be to be a large bodied heavy, heavy hitting, nasty d-man that other teams forwards worry about when they zip through the neutral zone and try to set up shop in front of the net.

Of course, any speedy skilled forward would probably undress Mr. Ohlund at the blue line......but still...

vCash
    Yeah that contract was a bit ridiculous, **** he's got 4 years left at age 35, definitely not good for our cap space lol...

vCash
    OHLUND SURGERY: D Mattias Ohlund, who has not played this season because of two bum knees, will have surgery on his left knee Thursday in an attempt to save his career.

The surgery will be performed by Anthony Miniaci, a well-known orthopedic surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.

"It's been so long and it hasn't been getting better and almost getting worse the last little while, so I'm looking forward to getting it done," Ohlund said.

The rehab, Ohlund said, will be measured in months.

Ohlund, 35, who has four years and $11.75 million left on his contract, had surgery over the summer to clean out what the team called loose bodies, but hasn't skated since mid November and lately has been limping more noticeably.
    tampabay.com

vCash
    This would be the perfect case for what the owners and GM's are trying to get into the next CBA.

The rule I was reading about would allow a team to take a contract off the books if something like this happens.

That would be a great thing for us to be able to still pay the guy because its not his fault, but take his pay off of our cap hit so we can get someone in the door to replace him.

Same could be said of Markov up in my home town ... another thing like this where the team can't bring in someone of the same caliber to take the place of someone who will probobly never strap on the skates again.