Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    Great question! I would take Bumgarner until Moore shows more of what exactly he can do. I am very disappointed that the Giants have not worked out an extension for Bumgarner yet.
    Again, he's under the team's control for quite sometime. There is no need to pay him big money now, when you don't have to.

See Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum.
    2012 World Series Champs Auto Checklist: Jeremy Affeldt, Javier Lopez (2), Ryan Vogelsong, George Kontos (2), Buster Posey, Brian Sabean, Bruce Bochy, Brandon Crawford, Sergio Romo, Barry Zito...

vCash
    What about Matt and Tim? Both are probably gone. And Tim is costing the team a fortune for just two years.

Terrible idea.

Just for example look at Lester and Pedroia. Both signed early and for team friendly deals that ensure the Sox have both key members of their team through some of their best years.

Timmy and Cain will likely leave with the best ahead of them....

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    Can we stay on topic? This thread isn't about Cain or Lincecum leaving.

Choosing between Moore and Bumgarner is definitely a tough choice. I want to see Moore pitch a full season in that tough Al East, but I love his explosive fastball. I also love how Bumgarner's slider absolutely took off last season. His command was outstanding after the all star break.

vCash
    Bumgarner

vCash
    matt moore
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I'm surprised at how much hype Moore has gotten and I'm sure it is well deserved, but moreso, how little "hype" Bumgarner has received. Bumgarner is a LOT better than most people think. He's 22 years old, and finished the year last year something like 8-1 with a 1.80 ERA.

Unlike Moore, Bumgarner has 52 starts...

Here are the first 52 starts for some pitchers and Bumgarner... I will RANK them, only based on ERA which is skewed for now...

1. Madison Bumgarner 20-19 3.10 ERA 325 IP 287K 75 BB
    2. Tim Lincecum 22-8 3.21 ERA 336 IP 366K 137 BB
    3. Clayton Kershaw 13-13 3.40 ERA 283 IP 289K 149 BB
    4. Jered Weaver 25-12 3.44 ERA 314 IP 239K 85 BB
    5. Matt Cain 17-20 3.62 ERA 328 IP 278K 150 BB
    6. Justin Verlander 28-14 3.67 ERA 326 IP 246K 110 BB
    7. Ian Kennedy 13-15 4.14 ERA 306 IP 256K 122 BB

Just a random sample, and I took this from the giants blog from today... but Bumgarner definitely doesn't get the hype of some of the other younger pitchers... He's very very good.

I will leave it at this. It was 2 years ago, actually probably 3. Bumgarner was not going to make the team and he faced Manny Ramirez when he was still hitting very well. He struck him out in 3 pitches, and Joe Torre afterward was extremely impressed with Bumgarner and said he's going to be great.
    Last edited by leftymo; 02-29-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    2012 World Series Champs Auto Checklist: Jeremy Affeldt, Javier Lopez (2), Ryan Vogelsong, George Kontos (2), Buster Posey, Brian Sabean, Bruce Bochy, Brandon Crawford, Sergio Romo, Barry Zito...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    Again, he's under the team's control for quite sometime. There is no need to pay him big money now, when you don't have to.

See Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum.
    Just because he's under team control doesn't mean you can't cost control him. Look at Matt Cain! That's exactly what the Giants did with him, cost control. Giants would save money in the long run which is the name of the game for owners!

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

Only one person doesn't understand the ignore list. Predictable and cowardly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    Just because he's under team control doesn't mean you can't cost control him. Look at Matt Cain! That's exactly what the Giants did with him, cost control. Giants would save money in the long run which is the name of the game for owners!

I'm very quickly beginning to learn that you love spending other people's money. Are you a financial planner by chance?

vCash
    No, RTL has a point, it makes all the sense to lock up Bumgarner to save money in the future. Look at what the Rays are paying Longoria. The dude could be making upwards of 10 million right now, but i'm pretty sure he's not. The Rays did it again with Moore.

Theres no reason not to sign Bumgarner long term, he's a big kid that will have a long career.

Finally, people are starting to recognize him.

I'm going Bumgarner on this poll, btw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    I'm very quickly beginning to learn that you love spending other people's money. Are you a financial planner by chance?
    No, I like saving my favorite team money. How are you not getting this? You act as if I'm saying "Give Bumgarner $15 million per year now!". But to answer your question, I own my own business so I know the benefit in saving money in the long run.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

Only one person doesn't understand the ignore list. Predictable and cowardly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBoSoxfan21 View Post
    What about Matt and Tim? Both are probably gone. And Tim is costing the team a fortune for just two years.

Terrible idea.

Just for example look at Lester and Pedroia. Both signed early and for team friendly deals that ensure the Sox have both key members of their team through some of their best years.

Timmy and Cain will likely leave with the best ahead of them....
    How exactly are the giants going to lose both Lincecum and Cain? And how can you say the best is ahead of them? If Lester had won cy youngs in his first two full big league seasons I can guarantee you would have never signed that deal with Boston. You cant compare Lincecum to Lester. Lincecum was far superior to Lester at the time they were going to hit arbitration. If you want to compare Cain to Pedroia, then you can argue both ways. If Cain leaves after this season the giants would have gotten 7 full seasons from him for under 31 million dollars. If Pedroia leaves after his current contract the red sox would have gotten 9 full seasons for over 50 million. So the red sox get two more years but also paid 20 million more. So the giants are doing just fine. Lincecum is a case you cant compare to anyone because he did things no one has ever done before.

vCash
    MadBum

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    I'll take the guy who threw 8 shut out innings and allowed just 3 hits in a world series game at the age of 21.

Slap Hands!

vCash
    bumgarner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTS 4 LIFE View Post
    How exactly are the giants going to lose both Lincecum and Cain? And how can you say the best is ahead of them? If Lester had won cy youngs in his first two full big league seasons I can guarantee you would have never signed that deal with Boston. You cant compare Lincecum to Lester. Lincecum was far superior to Lester at the time they were going to hit arbitration. If you want to compare Cain to Pedroia, then you can argue both ways. If Cain leaves after this season the giants would have gotten 7 full seasons from him for under 31 million dollars. If Pedroia leaves after his current contract the red sox would have gotten 9 full seasons for over 50 million. So the red sox get two more years but also paid 20 million more. So the giants are doing just fine. Lincecum is a case you cant compare to anyone because he did things no one has ever done before.
    Fine then compare Tim to Pedro. Same thing happened. Pedro left in FA. Samething will happen with Timmy. He’ll ask more than the Giants can afford which is why at CY1 they should have locked him down like an intelligent team would have done.

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast