Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Kubina Traded to the Flyers

Link
    TAMPA Lightning GM Steve Yzerman did more than just stockpile draft choices Saturday night when he traded D Pavel Kubina to the Flyers, he got a prospect as well.

Tampa Bay received a conditional second-round draft pick for either 2012 or '13, a 2013 fourth-round pick and minor-league LW Jon Kalinski.

If the second-round pick is used next season (it is at the discretion of the Panthers, who originally owned the pick) the Lightning would have four second-rounders in the June draft, and that would give Yzerman plenty of options.

He could draft players or use the picks in trades, either to move up in the draft or for players. Prospects would be the priority as he continues to rebuild organizational depth.

Kubina, 34, in the final year of his two-year deal and a potential unrestricted free agent, has been solid in his second stint with the Lightning. A member of the 2004 Stanley Cup team, Kubina has three goals and 11 points in 52 games and is plus-1 with an average 19:54 of ice time. Kubina has not played since Tuesday against the Senators while the team tried to work out a deal.

vCash
    Well,

It is more than I figured we would get for him.

but if we can get a second rounder a fourth rounder and a prospect (although looking at his stats I am not sure how good a prospect he is ... seems pretty average AHL)

but if we can get all that for an over the hill Kubina ... what happend on that deal for Moore?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SunbeltHab View Post
    Well,

It is more than I figured we would get for him.

but if we can get a second rounder a fourth rounder and a prospect (although looking at his stats I am not sure how good a prospect he is ... seems pretty average AHL)

but if we can get all that for an over the hill Kubina ... what happend on that deal for Moore?

Didn't know anything about Jon Kalinski (the prospect Philly is sending Tampa), so had to do a bit of digging. It doesn't sound like he would make much of an impact stat wise in the NHL at all.....his best attributes, from the sounds of it, seems to be as potential penalty killer and agitator.

Not that those two things wouldn't be valueable to a club, but its the sort of things that you add on once you have a winning formula in place.....not things that would help much when you have much more important needs (i.e. defense, goal tending, team toughness, power forwards willing to take punishment at the net).

Kalinski is an undersized player (well, wirey anyways, 6'1 175) with good puck control skills apparently, and seems to revel getting under the opponent's skin. Matt Cooke anyone?
    Upsides? Well, again, if he is a good puck handler, and has speed to burn, he could make an excellent NHL penalty killer, and always a threat for a short handed goal. And he is only 24 still...though if he spends too much more time in the minors, he may be considered "past his prime", and not really a candidate to make the big club.

Overall, I am not personally that excited about him, but you never lose complete hope in a guy who is still only 24, and possesses some of the qualities mentioned in his report. We will see. He had a few short stints with the Flyers from 08-10.

Here is the link where I found info on him.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...athan_kalinski

vCash
    Yeah,

He is just an average AHL grinder. I would be suprised if he ever plays an NHL game for us. Reminds me of Paul Schezera *(i can't spell his name btw). Who was a career AHL guy we brought up for half a season under Tochet ... didn't make a splash and I don't see this one making one either.

Nothing about his stats or prospect sheet show anything that will have him in the NHL any time soon.

I am in the minority ... but after watching Kubina come up in the system and be there for the cup in 2004 I was really hoping to see him retire a bolt.

Hopefully they will do one of those one day contracts and let him retire a bolt when it's time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SunbeltHab View Post
    Yeah,

He is just an average AHL grinder. I would be suprised if he ever plays an NHL game for us. Reminds me of Paul Schezera *(i can't spell his name btw). Who was a career AHL guy we brought up for half a season under Tochet ... didn't make a splash and I don't see this one making one either.

Nothing about his stats or prospect sheet show anything that will have him in the NHL any time soon.

I am in the minority ... but after watching Kubina come up in the system and be there for the cup in 2004 I was really hoping to see him retire a bolt.

Hopefully they will do one of those one day contracts and let him retire a bolt when it's time.
    I would love to have seen him retire a Bolt, I just though the trade made sense at the time. This trade of Downie though, not so much...