Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JNev View Post
    Ahhh, memories of the Rockies game and his walk off 3R jack in extras seem so far away....
    I think he hit that home run on a Saturday game and I was at the Friday game right before that. What a bum, couldn't of done that for me in person

vCash
    I was thinking about this recently and thought I would pose it to you guys. Say Alvarez is struggling to start the season, what would you think of Harrison playing 2B and moving Walker back to 3B? Obviously this would not be permanent (only until Alvarez got on track) but both Harrison and Walker have experience at those positions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    I was thinking about this recently and thought I would pose it to you guys. Say Alvarez is struggling to start the season, what would you think of Harrison playing 2B and moving Walker back to 3B? Obviously this would not be permanent (only until Alvarez got on track) but both Harrison and Walker have experience at those positions
    I'm not against the idea of moving Walker back to 3B but I don't think I would do so in your situation. Usually in baseball the simpliest solution is the best, Harrison has experience at 3B and in fact I think it is his best defensive position. Might as well let hime there. However using Harrison wouldn't be my first solution if Alvarez struggles it would be moving McGehee over and playing Hague at 1st. Second would probably actually be Navarro but Harrison could do enough by then to pass him.

As for a scenario where I would be in favor of moving Walker back to 3rd, lets be more positive. Alvarez mashes this season but shows he is unable to play 3B consistently. d'Arnaud lights it up in the minors but Barmes plays well enough in the majors to hold him off.

I think that sets the perfect game of musical chairs for next season, Alvarez to 1st, Barmes to 2nd, Walker to 3rd, d'Arnaud to SS.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Four more bite the dust. Cut are Igarashi, Fryer, Evans and Fox.

vCash
    Also, Morton will start season on 15 Day DL
    The Future of The Jacksonville Jaguars
    Duuuuuuuvvvvaaaaaaaalllll

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JNev View Post
    Also, Morton will start season on 15 Day DL
    A bit surprising to me but I guess they are being cautious. He is going to pitch a simulated games on the 4th, then make a AAA start on the 9th. After that he will be reevaluated and could make his debut on April 15th.

Until that day the Pirates will go with 4 starters. They are still deciding whether to carry an extra reliever or extra bench player.

Also Juan Cruz has made the team, a corresponding move does not need to be made for a few days.

vCash
    Ugh JMac.... Why can't you be consistent.....
    The Future of The Jacksonville Jaguars
    Duuuuuuuvvvvaaaaaaaalllll

vCash
    Glad Cruz made it...

Pedro 2-5, with only two K's

Progress!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    Glad Cruz made it...

Pedro 2-5, with only two K's

Progress!
    Sadly yes that's progress. They eliminated his toe tap that he added this off season so maybe some how miraculously things will go well for the Pirates for once, please ray:

Also I'm happy Cruz made it but I'm curious who gets released. My thought was either Welker or McCutchen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    Sadly yes that's progress. They eliminated his toe tap that he added this off season so maybe some how miraculously things will go well for the Pirates for once, please ray:

Also I'm happy Cruz made it but I'm curious who gets released. My thought was either Welker or McCutchen.
    At first glance, I thought you said Walker or McCutchen and was like WHAAAT? But then I realized it said Welker and Daniel McCutchen. Had me pretty scared right there lol.

I would have to think that anything under 3K's a game with a hit is leaps and bounds of progress at this point

vCash
    I think moving Walker from second to third is a bad idea. Offensively he’s an above average second basemen but would be a significantly below average third baseman. Keep him at second and if Alvarez fails go to McGehee. If McGehee fails go with Harrison or Navarro. Replacing bad with below average is not the way to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    At first glance, I thought you said Walker or McCutchen and was like WHAAAT? But then I realized it said Welker and Daniel McCutchen. Had me pretty scared right there lol.

I would have to think that anything under 3K's a game with a hit is leaps and bounds of progress at this point
    What, you mean I didn't say Walker or A-Mac were going to be released, lol. You must have thought I had lost it when you read it like that.

Seriously though the fact that we are even talking about Daniel McCutchen or Duke Welker shows how much the Pirates have improved. When talking about who should be dropped you are really dealing with basically the bottom 5 guys on the 40 man roster and in the past no way did that include a good reliever (McCutchen) and a late-inning relief prospect (Welker).

You can also see progress with the latest minor league releases. Similar players to guys who were just released used to be thought of as significant pieces. For example Josh Rodriguez compared to Jim Negrych or Brian Friday (it was hoped one of those two would assume 2nd base) and Calvin Anderson compared to Brad Eldred or Carlos Rivera (it was hoped they could help at 1B).

It might be baby steps but the fact that these decisions are getting harder is a good sign of progress.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoPirates View Post
    I think moving Walker from second to third is a bad idea. Offensively hes an above average second basemen but would be a significantly below average third baseman. Keep him at second and if Alvarez fails go to McGehee. If McGehee fails go with Harrison or Navarro. Replacing bad with below average is not the way to go.
    That is actually a misconception that is really not true. Third base is no longer really an offensive position. Last season NL 2B hit for a .699 OPS and 3B fared only slightly better at .705. The difference in average offensive production between the two spots is actually not all that much.

At Pirates Prospects they just did a piece very similar to something I do every year and determined the average starter at 2B has an OPS of .733 and at 3B it is .746.

Walker's OPS last season was .742. So yes from that he is better than a league average 2B and below a league average 3B but we know he can do better (~ .770 OPS).

Bottom line though I agree with you I am still not in favor of the move at the present time.

vCash
    Take this for what its worth but this is from ESPN's Matthew Berry in his bold fantasy prediction article:

Erik Bedard wins the NL Cy Young. That's right. You heard me. I'm a slave to tradition, and Bedard is my fantasy kryptonite. Seriously, though, it's always health, not talent, with Bedard, and he's landed in a good spot for him.

vCash
    I'm all for wishing and hoping but I wouldn't be surprised if he lost his job for that comment alone lol

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast