Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 92
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    933
    vCash
    1500

    Is Olajuwon the second greatest basketball player of all time?

    Assuming MJ is the greatest, do you guys think that Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon has an argument as the second best basketball player of all time? Although I don't like to admit it, considering I was a HUGE Patrick Ewing fan, but Olajuwon was better than Ewing and I think is better than any basketball player in NBA/ABA history not named Michael Jordan. I feel very lucky I got to watch the great players of the 90's from Jordan, Barkley, Pippen, Ewing, O'Neal, Robinson, Miller, Malone, to Olajuwon. I remember seeing Olajuwon DOMINATE games against the stiffest competition and during the playoffs. He was UNSTOPPABLE during the 94' and 95' playoffs in which the Rockets won back to back NBA championships against Ewing's Knicks and O'Neal's Magic. He also out played the likes of Barkley, Malone, and Robinson on the way to those championships. I still believe that John Starks 3 would have gone in, as time expired in game 6 of the 94 NBA finals and the Knicks would have been NBA champions. But thanks to Olajuwon's block, that dream was snuffed out. But what do you guys think, is Olajuwon the second greatest basketball player of all time?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakeem_Olajuwon

    If I had to pick a center [for an all-time best team], I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him.
    —Michael Jordan

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBrEsNS9zKg Hakeem "The Dream" Olajwon's Greatest Hits.
    Last edited by PredatorPeppers; 02-16-2012 at 07:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ****ing Bruges
    Posts
    35,316
    vCash
    1500
    No Julius Peppers is.

    The End is Coming.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valencia, California
    Posts
    16,094
    vCash
    4500
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbs View Post
    No Julius Peppers is.
    Oh.My.Goodness.

    ENDLESS

    Brandin Cooks
    Future Baltimore Raven

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    291
    vCash
    1500
    He consistently out preforms his opponents in the playoffs. This guy out played Shaq, Robinson, Kareem (granted he had Sampson with him), and Ewing in all the biggest games. While he was in college in the off season he would play pickup games with Moses Malone and people would say that from his sophmore year on wards he would get the better of him as well. He was arguably the most complete two way center in the history of the NBA and in my opinion the greatest center in the modern era(I put Bill Russell and Wilt in the pre-modern era, Kareem I would say played in his prime during the transitional phase of the two eras).

    Was he the 2nd best player in the history of the NBA? I don't know if I can say that confidently, but I can tell you that if I was building a team, he would be my first choice to play the center position(and arguably my first choice to play pf because he did in the beginning of his career when he played with Ralph Sampson).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    754
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    He consistently out preforms his opponents in the playoffs. This guy out played Shaq, Robinson, Kareem (granted he had Sampson with him), and Ewing in all the biggest games. While he was in college in the off season he would play pickup games with Moses Malone and people would say that from his sophmore year on wards he would get the better of him as well. He was arguably the most complete two way center in the history of the NBA and in my opinion the greatest center in the modern era(I put Bill Russell and Wilt in the pre-modern era, Kareem I would say played in his prime during the transitional phase of the two eras).

    Was he the 2nd best player in the history of the NBA? I don't know if I can say that confidently, but I can tell you that if I was building a team, he would be my first choice to play the center position(and arguably my first choice to play pf because he did in the beginning of his career when he played with Ralph Sampson).
    ill go with what he said
    "We got to win. Win no matter what. Trip, kick somebody, fight, bite. Whatever. Win."
    - Derrick Rose


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,163
    vCash
    1500
    One of the few guys to drop a quadruple-double.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,484
    vCash
    1500
    I would love to think so but idk. All I know is it was a pleasure to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kobe24-TJ19- View Post
    we wont make the playoffs but will be better than Rockets

    Quote Originally Posted by ThuglifeJ View Post

    WEST:
    1.Spurs
    2.Thunder
    3.Portland
    4.Clippers
    5.Warriors
    6.Dallas
    7.Grizzlies
    8.Pheonix



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,224
    vCash
    1500
    I just posted Hakeem as my 2nd best in that stupid is Magic the best thread.
    I've never seen anyone dominate the bigs like Hakeem.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    83
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AllKohn View Post
    I just posted Hakeem as my 2nd best in that stupid is Magic the best thread.
    I've never seen anyone dominate the bigs like Hakeem.
    Shaq says Hi

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hyannis
    Posts
    6,422
    vCash
    1500
    Kobe is the greatest followed by Jordan. Then Russell I guess
    P(NBA)S(NBA)D. Yeah we sometimes talk about other sports.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    83
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by magichatnumber9 View Post
    Kobe is the greatest followed by Jordan. Then Russell I guess

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    5,913
    vCash
    1500
    He has a case for it, but not IMO

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    933
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJordan23 View Post
    Shaq says Hi
    Shaq was very dominant, but he was no Hakeem Olajuwon. He agrees...

    In Shaq's own words...

    "If I'm going to fight you, I'd rather just beat you," he said. "If I can't beat you, I'll be a man and say I can't beat you. I'm not going to [cry about it]. . . . I'm the first guy to say that somebody is better than me. I was the first guy to say Hakeem Olajuwon beat me in the [1995] NBA finals. He killed me. He dominated me. I didn't go, 'Oh, he's traveling. They had experience. Wah-wah-wah.' I'm a man. Hakeem Olajuwon dusted my butt.

    Shaq ranks his top 5 centers of all time.
    http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/spor...res_my_top.php

    5. Bill Russell -- 11 rings, but shot only 44% as a center and never averaged more than 18 points.

    4. Shaquille O'Neal -- 4 rings, 5th all-time scoring and the most powerful force in NBA history.

    3. Wilt Chamberlain -- Averaged 50 points and 25 rebounds in '62 and regularly dominated Russell.

    2. Hakeem Olajuwon -- The most skilled offensive center in the history of basketball.

    1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar -- NBA all-time leader in points scored and minutes played and owner of the game's most lethal shot, the Sky Hook.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    15,866
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by PredatorPeppers View Post
    Shaq was very dominant, but he was no Hakeem Olajuwon. He agrees...

    In Shaq's own words...

    "If I'm going to fight you, I'd rather just beat you," he said. "If I can't beat you, I'll be a man and say I can't beat you. I'm not going to [cry about it]. . . . I'm the first guy to say that somebody is better than me. I was the first guy to say Hakeem Olajuwon beat me in the [1995] NBA finals. He killed me. He dominated me. I didn't go, 'Oh, he's traveling. They had experience. Wah-wah-wah.' I'm a man. Hakeem Olajuwon dusted my butt.

    Shaq ranks his top 5 centers of all time.
    http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/spor...res_my_top.php

    5. Bill Russell -- 11 rings, but shot only 44% as a center and never averaged more than 18 points.

    4. Shaquille O'Neal -- 4 rings, 5th all-time scoring and the most powerful force in NBA history.

    3. Wilt Chamberlain -- Averaged 50 points and 25 rebounds in '62 and regularly dominated Russell.

    2. Hakeem Olajuwon -- The most skilled offensive center in the history of basketball.

    1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar -- NBA all-time leader in points scored and minutes played and owner of the game's most lethal shot, the Sky Hook.
    yea hakeem dusted shaq's *** but he was like 22 yrs old..

    they were both great in their own ways but you can't say they aren't comparable.. they were both the most dominant centers in the league during their primes, so in the end it pretty much depends on preference when talking about who was more dominant

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbs View Post
    thanks

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •