40 44.44%
  • Taveras

28 31.11%
  • Other (Post)

22 24.44%
Page 28 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    Vlad might not be a great comp but Edmonds was worse. Tavares is a high batting average guy who should have above average power and play above average D in the corners. Probably 70-75 bat, 60-70 power and 50-60 defense.
    Jim Edmonds finished with a career .284 batting average and hit .300 multiple times. 70/70 is one of the most overused terms in the prospect world. If you told me my supposed 70/70 guy would end up with Edmonds' career batting average and peak seasons then I would be ecstatic.

Taveras should be a guy who hits for average, draws a solid amount of walks, and hit for tremendous power as a CFer.

He's also closer in size and body type to Edmonds...plays CF like Edmonds...hits LH like Edmonds...

There couldn't be a more terrible guy to compare prospects to than Vlad. That's as freakish as calling someone the next Bonds.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-30-2012 at 02:32 AM.

vCash
    From what I've read/heard about Lindor he's an above average but not elite defensive SS. Which is great, but I think Andrus is the better defender. Jason Parks always said Lindor's very comparable to Profar, just a little worse across the board.
    Lindor's defense is pretty unquestioned. Of course Andrus is the better defender now.

vCash
    Lindor is faster than Profar.

And SenorGato meant position players, not hitters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Jim Edmonds finished with a career .284 batting average and hit .300 multiple times. 70/70 is one of the most overused terms in the prospect world. If you told me my supposed 70/70 guy would end up with Edmonds' career batting average and peak seasons then I would be ecstatic.

Taveras should be a guy who hits for average, draws a solid amount of walks, and hit for tremendous power as a CFer.

He's also closer in size and body type to Edmonds...plays CF like Edmonds...hits LH like Edmonds...

There couldn't be a more terrible guy to compare prospects to than Vlad. That's as freakish as calling someone the next Bonds.
    His main tool is his contact skills. That was never the case for Edmonds. Just because a guy may put up a similar type of line to a player doesn't mean their skill set is comparable. Taveras should compete for batting titles, and the power will come with age. Edmonds hit 33 home runs in his first full season.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    That is not his main tool or offensive attribute, though it does help me like him a whole lot more than Myers.

Just because a guy may put up a similar type of line to a player doesn't mean their skill set is comparable
    That actually makes them totally comparable, particularly since they also play the same position, hit with the same hand...

Edmonds also came up in a time when HR numbers were exploding, and Taveras is not obligated to open his career with 33 HRs.

Compare him to whoever you need to compare him to...The point is that he's going to be good, and is really the only guy I'm truly sure of on that list.

vCash
    His main tool is his contact skills. That was never the case for Edmonds. Just because a guy may put up a similar type of line to a player doesn't mean their skill set is comparable. Taveras should compete for batting titles, and the power will come with age. Edmonds hit 33 home runs in his first full season.
    It's not like he doesn't have any power. He could hit 20+ HRs in a full season right now most likely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    It's not like he doesn't have any power. He could hit 20+ HRs in a full season right now most likely.
    I feel as though I'm being pretty clear, yet I keep getting misrepresented. I said he projects with 60-70 power like 4 posts ago. But his main skill is his contact skills, which Gato incorrectly refuted, but I was just planning on giving up at that point. He's a 20 year old who hit .320 in AA and only struck out 10% of the time. Now, not many 20 year olds hit 20 homers in AA, but none hit .320 with a 10% K rate. That's legendary stuff right there.

vCash
    I feel as though I'm being pretty clear, yet I keep getting misrepresented. I said he projects with 60-70 power like 4 posts ago. But his main skill is his contact skills, which Gato incorrectly refuted, but I was just planning on giving up at that point. He's a 20 year old who hit .320 in AA and only struck out 10% of the time. Now, not many 20 year olds hit 20 homers in AA, but none hit .320 with a 10% K rate. That's legendary stuff right there.
    You were making it seem like hes starting at the ground level with power. But his contact/hit tool definitely is his best attribute. Pretty freaky how good he's been already and at such a young age. I'm not saying he will be but Vlad status, but he has that sort of essence of Vlad. Can't wait to watch him play.

vCash
    Partially based on the fact that he does everything well on offense.

Legendary stuff would be a career 11% K rate to go with a .553 SLG at the Major League level...

vCash
    I'm hearing that Teheran has his mechanics back in order and looks more like the 2011 version

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    I'm hearing that Teheran has his mechanics back in order and looks more like the 2011 version
    Yeah and I heard Brett Jackson fixed his swing. Always interesting when teams let this leak out during the prime of trade season rather than letting us see for ourselves in ST....

vCash
    ^That's a good point

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    ^That's a good point
    hi ATL

NFL DPOY!
    Robert Quinn
    Sack Total: 18 Forced Fumbles: 7 Touchdowns: 1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post

The comp to Vlad is based on his inpatient plate approach and square and consistent contact. He also has good power upside (not sure on 40 homer potential of course, but you never know). Defensively, Vlad wasn't all that bad when he came up. And he compares somewhat well to Taveras today.

Instead of looking for comps.

I can see a 2014 slash line of .280/.330/.475 from Taveras with average to below average defense in center, or above average to great defense in right.

And I can see a peak slash line of .330/.380/.600 from Taveras if everything goes well of course.

He doesn't have Vlad's arm (really nobody does) but he does have an above average arm. He should be solid defensively in right, but probably below average defensively in center. I think he is more of a routine .300+ batting average type with generally low K's and BB's with good gap power that hopefully turns into home run power.

I see a 70ish bat, 60 power, 60 arm, 60 defense (in right). Maybe I'm selling him short, or maybe I'm not connecting these ratings well enough, but I can see those slash lines happening for him in 2014, and beyond if he develops all the way.

vCash
    If you see him hitting .330 in his prime that's and 80 bat

Page 28 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast