• Profar

40 44.44%
  • Taveras

28 31.11%
  • Other (Post)

22 24.44%
Page 33 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm a huge Hedges fan. Personally he's my second favorite behind Zunino. TDA third with Sanchez not far behind him

vCash
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...41116172&c_id=

shortstops.

1. Jurickson Profar, Rangers: When you homer in your first big league at-bat, you might think theres no place to go but down. But Profar is just beginning to scratch the surface of his enormous potential. The Curacao native signed with the Rangers in 2009 and has been collecting accolades, including a league MVP, two All-Star selections and two trips to the Futures Game. Hell be just 20 years old for all of the 2013 season and the sky might just be the limit.

2. Francisco Lindor, Indians: The eighth overall selection in the 2011 Draft was a Midwest League All-Star and a Futures Game participant in his first full season. A tremendous defensive shortstop, this Florida high school product has a good approach at the plate from both sides, runs well and should grow into some more power as he develops. He has off-the-charts makeup and hell still be a teenager for the entire season, so hes far ahead of the curve.

3. Javier Baez, Cubs: Taken No. 9 overall in the 2011 Draft, just one spot after Lindor, Baez might be the more dynamic pure hitter of the two, even if Lindor is the better defender. Baez's plus bat speed will allow him to hit for average and power, both of which have already been on display, and he will improve as he refines his approach. Hes not without defensive skills, with a strong arm and good hands, and more folks are thinking he can stay at shortstop than did when he was coming out of the Florida high school ranks. Even if Baez has to slide to third base, his bat will profile just fine there.

4. Xander Bogaerts, Red Sox: Boston's Minor League Player of the Year in 2012, Bogaerts signed with the organization out of Aruba in 2009 and has been hitting ever since. He will hit for average and power, and if he can continue to improve his pitch selection -- something he did well for much of 2012, but not after a promotion to Double-A -- he could put up monster numbers at the big league level. At one point, most believed Bogaerts would outgrow shortstop. He has the bat to profile at third base or right field, but hes been proving that he might have the tools to stick at shortstop for the long term.

5. Carlos Correa, Astros: Taking Correa No. 1 overall certainly allowed the Astros to be creative later in the 2012 Draft, but that doesnt mean the native of Puerto Rico was simply a bargain pick. The shortstop has outstanding tools that would have had him off the board in the early stages of the first round anyway. Correa's range, arm and defensive actions are all above average. The Puerto Rico Baseball Academy product and the highest selection from the island also has the chance to be an impact hitter, as he has tremendous raw power and excellent bat speed. That and his strong work ethic have the Astros excited about his development.

6. Nick Franklin, Mariners: A 20-20 season in 2010 set the bar high for this 2009 first-round pick, and while he dealt with injuries that set him back in 2011, he bounced back with a much more solid season in 2012. A two-time Arizona Fall League Rising Stars Game participant, Franklin is a very good athlete who has the chance to hit for some power and steal some bases, even if he doesnt approach the numbers of that first full season again. Hes played both shortstop and second base and some see his long-term future on the right side of the diamond, though the Mariners are committed to him playing shortstop for now.

7. Addison Russell, As: There may not have been another 2012 draftee who had a better pro debut. The No. 11 overall pick earned two promotions and finished the summer in full-season ball, perhaps putting him on a fast track for a high school product. Russell has the ability to hit for average and power and his speed, along with his aggressiveness, should allow him to steal bases as well. There once was a question about his defensive home, but better conditioning has ended those concerns, and all who saw him during his debut believe hell stay at shortstop for the long term.

8. Alen Hanson, Pirates: Since making his United States debut in 2011, Hanson has done nothing but impress with his athleticism. The Dominican infielder, who signed in July 2009, is proving to be much more than just speed and raw tools. He was a South Atlantic League All-Star as he made his full-season debut in 2012 as a teenager, topping the league in a host of offensive categories. Hanson's speed will allow him to continue to steal bases and gives him good range defensively, but the power has come faster than expected. Despite some struggles defensively, many believe hell develop into a decent defensive shortstop, with a worst-case scenario being that he moves to second, a position hes played in the past.

9. Hak-Ju Lee, Rays: Originally signed out of South Korea by the Cubs in 2008 for $725,000, Lee was sent to the Rays in the Matt Garza deal in January 2011. The two-time Futures Game participant and 2012 Arizona Fall League Rising Stars Game player has been a midseason or postseason All-Star in every league hes played in throughout his Minor League career. Lee is a plus defensive shortstop across the board, one who should compete for Gold Glove honors annually. His speed should allow him to continue to steal bases, and if he can gain more strength, he can be more than a slap singles hitter.

10. Didi Gregorius, D-backs: The Reds made quite a find when they signed Gregorius out of Curacao in 2007. He reached the big leagues in 2012 after beginning the year as a Southern League All-Star. Gregorius' tools and athleticism are a big reason why the D-backs were so excited to obtain him in December in a three-team deal that sent Trevor Bauer to Cleveland and Shin-Soo Choo to Cincinnati. Gregorius can cover a ton of ground and has the arm to match his range. While he can be too aggressive at the plate at times, he does have a pretty good idea of what hes doing from the left side
    No surprises with the top 5 guys IMO

I'd maybe put Lee a bit higher tho

vCash
    Why can't the Cardinals have someone on this list

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...41116172&c_id=

shortstops.

No surprises with the top 5 guys IMO

I'd maybe put Lee a bit higher tho
    Lee is borderline terrible. Tampa's Iglesias. IMO he should not even be on the list and Brad Miller should be at #8.

vCash
    Yeah, Miller being left off, why exactly?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Lee is borderline terrible. Tampa's Iglesias. IMO he should not even be on the list and Brad Miller should be at #8.
    I watched him when he was in the cubs system with the Peoria Chiefs and i liked what i saw. I've also heard decent things about him since.

but for all i know he actually sucks haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    I watched him when he was in the cubs system with the Peoria Chiefs and i liked what i saw. I've also heard decent things about him since.

but for all i know he actually sucks haha
    I was being really critical, but I have very little faith in his bat.

vCash
    I view Boegarts and Baez basically the same, but Boegarts has had more success at a higher level. I would, however, rather have Baez and possibly Correa over Lindor.

1. Profar
    2. Boegarts
    3. Baez
    4. Correa
    5. Lindor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadsRule View Post
    I view Boegarts and Baez basically the same, but Boegarts has had more success at a higher level. I would, however, rather have Baez and possibly Correa over Lindor.
    Bogaerts is only two months older than Baez too, which is a pretty meaningful difference in age advancement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-ross12 View Post
    C is probably the second weakest position behind 1B in terms of impressive prospects.
    Agreed. But remember that alot of guys without positions end up at first base. Defensively it's the easiest position to be serviceable at. Guy like Montero are prime candidates to end up there. I think Myers might end up there at some point also.
    Lakers Off-Season Checklist:

[X] Trade Bynum for D12
    [X] Get a PG(Nash!)
    [X]Re-sign Hill or sign Camby
    [ ]Sign Grant Hill---NOPE
    [X]Sign Jamison
    [X]Sign a Back-up Guard(Barbosa, Mayo, Meeks, etc.)
    [X]Re-sign Devin Ebanks
    [X]Re-sign Darius Morris

vCash
    Cardinals #1 farm system from Baseball-America handbook, which I believe isn't out yet.

Any shot in the dark guesses the other top 5 are?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Cardinals #1 farm system from Baseball-America handbook, which I believe isn't out yet.

Any shot in the dark guesses the other top 5 are?
    Seattle, Pitt, TB, Texas, and San Diego would be my guesses.

vCash
    No order but probably the Mariners, Padres, Rangers, and maybe the DBacks but probably a more Hansel franchise:

vCash
    I'd take Boegarts second, Lindor 3rd, and Russell over Franklin any day of the week.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...41139974&c_id=

Third Base

1. Miguel Sano, Twins: After a long signing process, documented in the film "Pelotero," Sano signed with the Twins in 2009 for $3.15 million. Sano has moved slowly through pro ball, playing last season in Class A. Sano has plus-plus power to all fields, and his plate discipline has improved greatly since his arrival from the Dominican Republic. Defensively, he has a great arm but work remains for him at third base. His bat will play anywhere, however, and the Twins expect him to develop into an elite, middle-of-the-order power hitter.

2. Mike Olt, Rangers: Taken 49th overall in the 2010 Draft out of the University of Connecticut, Olt moved quickly through the Rangers system, spending most of 2012 in Double-A and getting into 16 games with Texas. Olt shows a good approach at the plate to go along with plus power. Although he is excellent defensively, the 2012 Futures Gamer and Texas League All-Star is blocked at third base by Adrian Beltre and has shown that he can play first or an outfield corner, where his bat will profile just fine. Olt is athletic enough to play multiple positions for the Rangers.

3. Anthony Rendon, Nationals: Rendon was in consideration for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 Draft when injury concerns caused him to fall to No. 6, where the Nationals were thrilled to nab him and sign him to a $7.2 million big league contract. Injuries struck again in his first full season as he missed much of the 2012 season. The Rice product made up for some lost time in the Arizona Fall League, where he played in the Rising Stars Game. Despite the injuries, Rendon still has one of the most advanced bats in the Minors and he should hit for average and power as he progresses. An outstanding defender, it remains to be seen how the Nationals will work his bat into the lineup with Ryan Zimmerman entrenched at third.

4. Nolan Arenado, Rockies: The Rockies took Arenado in the second round of the 2009 Draft out of the Southern California high school ranks and signed him for $625,000. A great 2011 season that culminated in winning the Arizona Fall League MVP Award led into a solid but less spectacular 2012 campaign, though he did attend his second Futures Game. While his power numbers took a step back, he still profiles to be a run-producing corner infielder and his defense has improved greatly at the hot corner, so most believe he'll stay at the position.

5. Kaleb Cowart, Angels: Cowart was selected 18th overall by the Angels in 2010 and signed for $2.3 million. The switch-hitter was a Midwest League All-Star in his first taste of full-season ball in 2012 and earned a promotion up a level. An Arizona Fall League Rising Stars Game participant, Cowart can hit for power and average from both sides of the plate and continues to improve his plate discipline. He's a good defender with an outstanding arm who at one time was a high school pitching standout in Georgia. He has a chance to be a middle-of-the-order presence at third base in the big leagues for a long time.

6. Matt Davidson, Diamondbacks: A California high school product who was a sandwich pick of Arizona's in 2009, Davidson has always shown power and run-producing potential. While he continues to strike out a good amount, his overall approach has improved, allowing him to become a more complete hitter. Davidson shared time at third earlier in his career, but played there exclusively in 2012 and looks more and more like he will be able to stay there. A Southern League All-Star in 2012, Davidson was that league's championship series MVP as he helped Mobile win its second straight title, the kind of winning the D-backs hope Davidson brings to Arizona.

7. Corey Seager, Dodgers: Taken 18th overall in 2012, Seager signed for $2.35 million as the Dodgers convinced him to forego a commitment to South Carolina. A shortstop in high school and during his pro debut, most see him moving to third base and making it his long-term defensive home. Kyle's younger brother has good defensive instincts and skills that should play well at the hot corner. He has an advanced approach at the plate that should allow him to hit for average. He's always had power potential and he has started to tap into it, with perhaps more in the tank. He could develop into one of the top third-base prospects in the game.

8. Joey Gallo, Rangers: Gallo could have gone to Louisiana State as a power-hitting third baseman and closer. But the Rangers convinced the Las Vegas high school product to sign after making him the 39th overall selection in the 2012 Draft. Few if any draftees had a more stirring debut than Gallo, who set a rookie-level Arizona League record for homers and was named the league's MVP. He has work to do as a hitter -- while he takes a good number of walks, he needs to bring his strikeout rate down. A plus arm that fired mid-to-upper 90s fastballs from the mound works well at third, and he was working to improve the other facets of his defensive game. How he sharpens his other tools to go along with his plus-plus power will help determine just how good a player Gallo becomes.

9. Wilmer Flores, Mets: Signed out of Venezuela in 2007 for $750,000, Flores had trouble getting out of A-ball but took a big step forward in 2012. A two-time Futures Game participant, he earned a promotion to Double-A and hit well there, starting to show power and plate discipline and turning potential into performance. A shortstop for much of his career, he shifted to third in 2012, though he dabbled a bit at second base as well. His feel for hitting should help him get to the big leagues. Where his long-term defensive home is remains to be seen.

10. Cheslor Cuthbert, Royals: The Royals have been very aggressive in acquiring amateur talent, both via the Draft and international signings, and Cuthbert is no exception. Kansas City gave the Nicaraguan infielder $1.4 million in 2009. He held his own in his full-season debut in 2011, and while his numbers slid a bit with a move up to the Carolina League in 2012, he is very young for his level. He has plus power potential, though he hasn't yet learned to tap into it consistently, something that will come with improved plate discipline. A good defender with a strong arm, Cuthbert will be able to stay at the hot corner. If he can find consistency at the plate, his star should rise.

Page 33 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast