Wheeler
    Miller
    Bauer
    Taillon
    Bradley
    Fernandez
    Syndergard
    That's just out of that group.

I'd take Carlos Martinez and Julio Teheran over Syndergard. Martinez might be as high as 6 for me. Really like him.
    Walker above Bundy? M's fan or something?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Who else named Martinez would be close? He'd be in mine as well most likely.
    Just surprising.

As a Cards fan, I'm not that high on Martinez or Kolton Wong.

I think Martinez' delivery is way too violent and his small frame is going to cause a lot of shoulder issues.

I think he'll end up being a reliever personally.

Great stuff though, and moving quickly.

vCash
    I don't really like anyone in the second half of that top ten except Bradley. Hell, I would swap Bradley and Martinez's ranking even now. The only reason Bradley got ranked where he did was because he's the furthest away and least tested.

I still think Jose Fernandez is the next Bartolo Colon.

vCash
    LEFTIES

1. Tyler Skaggs, Diamondbacks: Skaggs was taken 40th overall by the Angels in 2009 and signed for $1 million. He was then traded to the D-backs in 2010 as part of the Dan Haren trade and he has established himself as one of the top young lefties in the game. Skaggs, who started the Futures Game in 2011, pitched well at two Minor League levels in 2012 before making his Major League debut. He has excellent command of all of his pitches, which include a plus curveball and changeup to go with a good fastball. When Arizona parted ways with Trevor Bauer in a trade with Cleveland, Skaggs became the no-doubt-about-it top pitching prospect in the D-backs system.

2. Danny Hultzen, Mariners: Hultzen signed an $8.5 million Major League contract after being picked second in the 2011 Draft by Seattle. Thought to be an advanced college pitcher who could move up quickly, he’s done just that, reaching Triple-A in his first season of pro ball. A 2012 Futures Game participant, the lefty out of the University of Virginia dominated in Double-A but then had serious control issues in Triple-A. If he can fix those problems – and he was known as a command guy coming out of college – his three-pitch mix should work nicely in the big leagues.

3. Max Fried, Padres: San Diego took Fried seventh overall in the 2012 Draft and he signed for $3 million. A polished high school lefty who spent his senior season on the same team as fellow first-rounder Lucas Giolito, Fried is projectable and already has a really good feel for pitching. He has a great three-pitch mix in his fastball, curve and changeup and all of them could end up being above-average pitches. Fried has the stuff, the frame and the feel for pitching to be a top-of-the-rotation type starter.

4. Jesse Biddle, Phillies: The Phillies stayed in their backyard in 2010, taking this Philadelphia-area high school product with the 27th overall pick. He’s moved one level at a time, spending a year at each level of A ball, making both the South Atlantic League postseason and Florida State League midseason All-Star teams. He’s improved steadily as he’s advanced, with the chance to have at least three average or better-than-average offerings. Big, strong and durable, Biddle has the makings to at least be an innings-eating workhorse if not much more at the big league level.

5. James Paxton, Mariners: Paxton was taken in the fourth round in the 2010 Draft by Seattle, though he didn’t sign until March 2011. He reached Double-A that season and spent all of 2012 at that level. A 2011 Futures Gamer and 2012 Arizona Fall League Rising Stars Game participant, there has never been any question about the Canadian’s pure power stuff, especially his fastball and breaking ball. That’s allowed him to strike out more than 10.5 per nine innings in two years in the Minors. Some thought he might eventually end up in the bullpen, but an improved changeup and better command could make him a formidable starter.

6. Tony Cingrani, Reds: Taken in the third round by the Reds in 2011, Cingrani was a senior reliever when he signed out of Rice. He has pitched extremely well as a starter in pro ball, topping the Minors in ERA and finishing second in strikeouts during his first full season. That earned him a brief callup to the big leagues. Cingrani’s fastball and changeup are both above average and are good enough for him to excel out of the bullpen. If his slider can improve, the 2012 California League All-Star will have the chance to be a very good starter.

7. Justin Nicolino, Marlins: The Blue Jays were very aggressive in recent Drafts, going after high-end high school talent. Nicolino was one of their prizes, a second-round pick they lured away from the University of Virgnia with an above-slot deal. After leading the Midwest League in ERA in his first taste of full-season ball, Nicolino was sent to Miami in the huge trade that sent Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle to Toronto. Nicolino has more command and "pitchability" than pure stuff, though he does have the makings of three average or better pitches. His aptitude on the mound could allow him to move more quickly than most pitchers who turn pro after high school .

8. Andrew Heaney, Marlins: After having one of the best seasons of any college pitcher in 2012, Miami made the Oklahoma State product the ninth overall pick in the Draft. A polished college lefty, Heaney has a plus slider and a good fastball, both of which he commands well. The development of his changeup will be the key for Heaney as he should be able to move through the Marlins system quickly. Heaney has the stuff and the command to be a front-of-the-rotation starter in the near future.

9. Henry Owens, Red Sox: Taken in the sandwich round of the 2011 Draft and given an over-slot deal, this SoCal high school lefty did not disappoint in his first full season, finishing second in the Boston organization in strikeouts. While his overall command needs work – true of so many young pitchers – he projects to have the stuff that should allow him to miss plenty of bats in the future. He has the chance to have three effective pitches in a fastball, curve and changeup. After pitching on a strict limit in his first full season, the gloves could come off in the near future.

10. Martin Perez, Rangers: Signed out of Venezuela by Texas in 2007 for $580,000, Perez made it to Double-A just two years later at age 18, looking like one of the game’s best pitching prospects. He stalled there, however, not making it to Triple-A until 2011 and struggling there when he first got there, though he did go to the Futures Game that season. Despite his less-than-stellar results at the upper levels, including during his big league debut in 2012, Perez still has very good pure stuff, he’s still quite young and he’s generally been healthy. All of those things point to him having the ability to be a successful big league starter once he learns more about the finer points of his craft.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=41085998&c_id

vCash
    don't sleep on Teheran for RHP.

vCash
    I think Teheran was hurt last year, but if he wasnt then yikes.

vCash
    Nicolino needs to be higher on that list. He could be as high as 3 there and I wouldn't bat an eye. Edit: Lolbataneye

Martin Perez should spend a year in someone's bullpen, or on a team that is less "win now" than the Rangers. He's the kind of guy I could see breaking out in his mid-20's and cruising through a strong prime.

That lefty list overall is even less inspiring than the right handers list. I still like Hultzen alot and I'm glad to see he got the #2 spot there. Seems like that bandwagon emptied quick.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 01-23-2013 at 06:12 PM.

vCash
    Agreed. I would slot Nicolino in at 3 and I would put Owens over Heaney ATM, but I'm a Sox fan so it's probably because I know/like Owens well.

vCash
    Catchers

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=41111110&c_id

1. Travis d'Arnaud, Mets: d'Arnaud was drafted 37th overall by the Phillies in 2007 and signed for $837,500. After being a key piece in the Roy Halladay trade in 2009, d'Arnaud was again traded, this time to the Mets as the main player in the R.A. Dickey deal in December. d'Arnaud is a rare catcher who has plus raw power, will hit for average and play good defense behind the plate. The only knock on him has been injuries, as he has played more than 75 games just twice since being drafted and missed much of last season with a torn ligament in his knee. If he can stay healthy, d'Arnaud has the potential to be one of the best catchers in the National League.

2. Mike Zunino, Mariners: After being drafted third overall in 2012, Zunino moved quickly through the Minors as he reached Double-A, where he hit for average and power and also drew a good number of walks in his summer debut. The winner of the 2012 Golden Spikes Award, as well as the Johnny Bench and Dick Howser Awards following his junior season at Florida, Zunino has drawn praise for his defense and his ability to run a pitching staff. Known to be a natural leader, Zunino will be trusted to catch a young and exciting Seattle rotation and work his way toward batting in the middle of the lineup.

3. Gary Sanchez, Yankees: After signing for $3 million out of the Dominican Republic in 2009, Sanchez has shown that he could be well worth the investment. Sanchez has a smooth swing to go along with plus raw power. He also has shown some ability behind the plate, most notably a plus arm. Still very young at 20, Sanchez has all the raw tools necessary to be an exciting two-way player for the Yankees.

4. Austin Hedges, Padres: Hedges was taken in the second round of the 2011 Draft and signed for $3 million, the second-highest bonus for a second-rounder at the time. Quick, agile and possessor of an incredible arm, Hedges is an outstanding defender. When he was drafted, there were concerns about Hedges' offensive potential but he had a good year at the plate in 2012. Although he is years away from the Majors, his potential should have Padres fans excited.

5. Jorge Alfaro, Rangers: The Rangers signed Alfaro in 2010 for $1.3 million, a record for a Colombian amateur. He hasn't shown great defense yet but has good tools, including quickness, agility and an impressive arm. Alfaro has great bat speed that generates plus raw power but he needs to be more disciplined at the plate. Although a bit raw and very young (19), Alfaro has all the tools to be an above-average backstop at the Major League level.

6. Stryker Trahan, Diamondbacks: After being taken 26th overall by Arizona in 2012, the Louisiana high school standout signed for $1.7 million. Trahan showed in his first taste of pro ball why the D-backs used a first-round pick on him. Trahan has plus raw power and excellent speed for a catcher. Defensively, Trahan has good arm strength but many believe he will have to move to a corner outfield position due to his below-average receiving skills. Even if he has to change positions, Trahan's bat will play anywhere and with the all-out type of effort that fans love, Trahan should have many in Arizona excited.

7. Christian Bethancourt, Braves: The Braves signed Bethancourt out of Panama in 2008 for $600,000 and he's been making his way up the ladder since. He is agile and athletic and has a plus-plus arm that has led to him throwing out 38 percent of would-be basestealers throughout his Minor League career. Bethancourt has good power but he doesn't always make enough contact to tap into it. His defense alone is enough to make him a solid big leaguer and his bat has the chance to make him even more than that.

8. Tommy Joseph, Phillies: The Giants took Joseph out of the Arizona high school ranks with their second-round pick in 2009, with many thinking he was a power hitter who wouldn't stay behind the plate. By the time he was traded to the Phillies in 2012 as part of the Hunter Pence deal, few doubted his ability to remain at catcher. He's always had a strong arm and his other defensive skills have improved. He continues to have good raw power, though his numbers took a step back in 2012. The Phillies hope he has the ability to be an above-average, all-around catcher in the near future.

9. Blake Swihart, Red Sox: Swihart was taken 26th overall in the 2011 Draft and collected a bonus of $2.5 million to turn pro instead of heading to the University of Texas. A switch-hitter from New Mexico, Swihart has hit well from both sides of the plate and should develop more power as he progresses. Agile with plus arm strength, he has the tools to be above-average defensively. He is still a bit raw, but his potential both offensively and defensively makes him an exciting prospect.

10. Will Swanner, Rockies: Considered a tough sign at the time, Swanner could end up being a steal for the Rockies, who took him in the 15th round in 2010 and signed him for $490,000. Swanner has plus-plus power for a catcher and pretty good plate discipline, though he does swing and miss a good amount. He is still very raw behind the plate but his bat will play anywhere, which should allow him to change positions if necessary. If Swanner can stay behind the plate, his offensive potential should make him a very intriguing prospect.
    Stryker is a badass name haha

vCash
    I have always loved Sanchez

vCash
    Another list that gets boring by 4. Joseph might not even be the best Phillies catching prospect. Swihart would be my pick of the rest. Bethancourt has some good upside, but is far from it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    I think Teheran was hurt last year, but if he wasnt then yikes.
    We tried to tinker with his mechanics just like the Cards tried with Miller. It didn't work for either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Another list that gets boring by 4. Joseph might not even be the best Phillies catching prospect. Swihart would be my pick of the rest. Bethancourt has some good upside, but is far from it.
    agreed

vCash
    C is probably the second weakest position behind 1B in terms of impressive prospects.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I'd definitely take Hedges and Alfaro over Swihart. I'd say the top 5 is strong, then there's a drop.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

Page 32 of 69 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast