• Profar

40 44.44%
  • Taveras

28 31.11%
  • Other (Post)

22 24.44%
Page 27 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Pretty high for Lindor, but considering his advancement given his age id probably ignore his stat line too. I'm lower on TDA as well, and higher on Sano. Not a Castellanos fan. I'll post my top 10 later though, good idea SG.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Both are top 10 prospects so its not shocking. Its actually refreshing to have someone who doesn't have a boner over Bundy.
    Totally agree.

vCash
    John Sickels top 20 Mets Prospects

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...pects-for-2013
    1) Travis D'Arnaud, C, Grade A-: Borderline B+. Should be acquired from Jays in the R.A. Dickey trade. He's not perfect, but D'Arnaud is either the best catching prospect in baseball or the second-best behind Mike Zunino. Could use a bit more polish with his throwing and his plate discipline and immediate stardom is unlikely, but overall he's the complete package. Don't expect him to be Mike Piazza, but he should be a long-term solution.

2) Zack Wheeler, RHP, Grade A-: Borderline B+. Aside from some control wobbles in Triple-A, he had a terrific year. Projects as a number two starter. Can he duplicate what Matt Harvey did? It's possible.

3) Noah Syndergaard, RHP, Grade A-: Borderline B+. Acquired in Dickey trade. He's ahead of where Wheeler was at age 20. Strong sinking fastball, good changeup, breaking stuff coming around, solid command, good body, good makeup, strong sabermetric profile. Just needs to stay healthy. I like him more than many people do, but I really like him.

4) Wilmer Flores, 3B-2B, Grade B+: Borderline B. I am impressed with the progress he made last year developing his power, and he's still just 21. There are still significant questions about his defense and how his bat will fit into a lineup, but progress is progress.

5) Michael Fulmer, RHP, Grade B: Borderline B-: Strong performance in Low-A, impressive fastball/slider combination. Development of changeup, command, and durability concerns over cross-body mechanics lead to some questions about future role, but he could be a mid-rotation guy eventually. Another guy I'm laying a bet on. Maybe a bad idea when it comes to pitchers, but I'm operating on very little sleep tonight.

6) Jeurys Familia, RHP, Grade B-: Borderline B. Another hard-thrower with command issues and question about his role. I've been in the starter camp but am now leaning towards the bullpen. Even slight command improvement could make him significant contributor in 2013.

7) Luis Mateo, RHP, Grade B-: Borderline B. Love the arm and he blew away the NY-P, however, he is in the age cohort of a college senior at age 22 so take the raw stats (2.45 ERA, 85/9 K/BB in 73 innings) with a grain of salt. That said, he throws quite hard and if his changeup comes around he is another mid-rotation arm for the future. If he repeats this at higher levels, he'll zoom up the lists quickly in '13 and this grade could look too low.

8) Brandon Nimmo, OF, Grade B-: Very patient, showed some pop in the New York-Penn League, but his athleticism and speed weren't as good as advertised. Will need more power if he has to move to an outfield corner.

9) Gavin Cecchini, SS, Grade B-: Baseball rat type, 2012 first rounder, good polish on defense, but hitting in rookie ball wasn't as good as I was led to expect when he was in high school. Young enough to get a lot better, of course.

10) Rafael Montero, RHP, Grade B-: Another product of the Mets pitching pipeline in Latin America, thrived in Low-A and High-A. Good command of low-90s fastball, and has a solid slider and improving changeup, throws strikes. Another potential mid-rotation starter.

11) Domingo Tapia, RHP, Grade B-: Here's another one, gets up to 98 MPH, erratic but promising in Low-A, needs a better breaking ball to remain a starter, but another high-ceiling guy.

12) Cory Mazzoni, RHP, Grade C+: Borderline B-. Inconsistent after promotion to Double-A and long-term role is uncertain, but could be another mid/back-rotation or bullpen candidate within the next two years. Low-to-mid-90s, good slider, but splitter wasn't completely effective.

13) Jake DeGrom, RHP, Grade C+: Older prospect at age 24 due to lost Tommy John season, but has a nasty sinker, an athletic body, throws strikes, and was sharp statistically with a 2.43 ERA and 96/20 K/BB in 111 innings in A-ball. Significant sleeper prospect.

14) Kevin Plawecki, C, Grade C+: Purdue catcher is a skilled contact hitter with a very solid glove. Didn't post eye-popping numbers in the NY-P, but I think he has growth potential. Presence of D'Arnaud means Plawecki won't have to be rushed.

15) Matt Den Dekker, OF, Grade C+: Offers left-handed power, can steal a base, and a fine glove in the outfield, but excessive strikeout inclination will likely preclude a good batting average and OBP. Should make a solid fourth outfielder.

16) Cory Vaughn, OF, Grade C+: Very productive in Florida State League (23 homers, 21 steals, 65 walks) but has a strikeout habit (114) and hit just .243. Turns 24 in May so he can't afford a slow start in Double-A.

17) Logan Verrett, RHP, Grade C+: Another college-trained strike-thrower (the Mets have several) who could be a surprise in 2013 if he adds another half-tick to his fastball or adds something to his changeup. Thrived in A-ball (2.70 ERA, 93/13 K/BB in 103 innings). Sleeper who would get more play in an organization with less pitching.

18) Jack Leathersich, LHP, Grade C+: Strikeout relief king, fanned 113 in 72 innings (read that again) in A-ball, with 3.00 ERA and gave up just 51 hits. He also walked 32 guys, so he's got work to do, but fastball/curve combination would take him a long way with even slight improvement in his command.

19) Danny Muno, INF, Grade C+: Not toolsy, but just knows how to play. Hit .280/.387/.412 in High-A, with 19 steals, 50 walks in 352 PA. Steady defense. Would make a fine utility guy.

20) Phillip Evans, SS, Grade C+: Higher ceiling than Muno but further away. His bat wasn't quite as good as advertised, but his glove was better than expected, and he has as chance to stick at shortstop. Will move to Low-A at age 20 in 2013.

OTHERS GRADE C+: Darrell Cecilianni, OF; Rainy Lara, RHP; Matt Reynolds, 3B; Hansel Robles, RHP; Gabriel Ynoa, RHP.

OTHERS: Matt Bowman, RHP; Luis Cessa, RHP; Gonzalez Germen, RHP; Erik Goedell, RHP; Gilbert Gomez, OF; Darin Gorski, LHP; Matt Koch, RHP; Juan Lagares, Of; Vicente Lupo, OF; Jefry Marte, 3B; Steven Matz, LHP; Colin McHugh, RHP; Tyler Pill, RHP; Cesar Puello, OF; Aderlin Rodriguez, OF; Ahmed Rosario, SS; Logan Taylor, RHP; Wilfredo Tovar, SS.

This organization has made enormous strides of late, and the addition of D'Arnaud and Syndergaard is frosting on the cake.

The obvious strength is pitching, and they have a lot of it. Both Wheeler and Syndergaard are potential top-of-the-rotation starters, backing up the now-graduated Matt Harvey who was everything that could have been expected last summer and more. Hard-throwers dot the rosters. . .Familia, Fulmer, Tapia, Mateo, Montero. . .note particularly the products of the Latin American scouting operation. And there is more behind them, the Brooklyn Cyclones starting rotation was outstanding. But it isn't just the high-ceiling guys, they have polished arms, too. Guys like Verrett or DeGrom could sneak up on us the same way that McHugh did.

Of course, as Mets fans well-know from history, pitching prospects are a volatile commodity. They can explode in your face very easily, or fizzle into nothing like a drop of water on Mercury. That's why you need as much depth as possible, and they've developed that.

Hitting, on the other hand, is a weakness. The addition of D'Arnaud gives them an impact player ready to help in the majors, something they've needed. Flores made a lot of progress this year, but it is still an open question how he fits into a long-term lineup. Nimmo and Cecchini, the two most recent first round picks, both have the potential to be regulars but are years away from being ready. There are guys who look like potential role players, but adding more bats to the system needs to be a priority. Hopefully the new Latin American investments like Lupo and Rosario will show a better feel for the strike zone than the previous group.

In short, Mets fans should be very happy about the pitching depth in the system, but they also need to be realistic about the hitting. As cool as R.A. Dickey's breakthrough was, the Mets took a long-shot reclamation project that panned out and turned him into two blue chip prospects. It was the right long-term move for the system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Pretty high for Lindor, but considering his advancement given his age id probably ignore his stat line too. I'm lower on TDA as well, and higher on Sano. Not a Castellanos fan. I'll post my top 10 later though, good idea SG.
    Minors is really light right now. Not a huge fan of anyone behind Taveras except for Lindor to be honest, though everyone is talented in their own right.

It was a tossup between D'Arnaud and Zunino for me. They could have been lower no worries as there really isn't much of a difference between 5 and 10.

I like Castellanos a whole lot. Surprised at how empty the wagon is over a 20 YO who moved up to AA and put up more XBHs than he did in High A, where he hit .400. If his glove was more praised he might be my #4 prospect. I know that as per the usual it's based on his walk totals in AA...despite this being a kid who's proven he knows what a walk is at every other level of the minors.

Weird how D'Arnaud immediately started losing steam once he left the Blue Jays...Have to wonder how the perceptions would change if a GM like Ned out in LA traded him....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    dead link, and I couldn't google find it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    My top 10 minor league hitters:

1: Taveras - If everything works out offensively and defensively he could be the next Jim Edmonds. Still would make an elite RFer.
    I don't see the Edmonds comp. Edmonds was an elite defensive center fielder, Taveras isn't all that fast overall, but makes decent routes and straight up sprints everywhere.

I think he is more of a right fielder, and he is going to be a high average hitter, Edmonds was more of a power hitter (which Taveras could develop 30 homer power as well of course).

I think he is more like Vlad personally. But interesting to hear you say Edmonds, I don't see that at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    My top 10 minor league hitters:

1: Taveras - If everything works out offensively and defensively he could be the next Jim Edmonds. Still would make an elite RFer.

2: Profar - Some bat questions, but position helps. I'm more skeptical than most. Could be a very good 2B.

3: Lindor - Lots of room on the wagon, but Lindor is a beast.

4: Myers - I have some questions about the ability to hit for high average, more a .270-.280 guy than a .300 guy. Beyond that he'll walk and hit HRs, which are always nice to have. Should be a competent RFer as well.

5: D'Arnaud - Should hit well and should catch well.

6: Boagerts - Best Red Sox SS since Ramirez.

7: Castellanos - A potential .300 hitter at the ML level with contact, some BBs, doubles power, 15-20 HRs, and average defensive potential at 3B or the corner OF. I think he can hit 25 HRs one day.

9: Sano - Some questions about his ability to make contact, but otherwise I really like the player.

9: Baez - I am more down on Baez than most, but relative to what is in the minor leagues I get why he is so hyped. Prospect landscape is pretty light right now. The closest one to a Harper or Trout is Taveras right now, and he's not as good a prospect as either one. Also, Baez should look to be a 2B if he has to move off of SS, not 3B first.

10: Zunino - A decent bet to be an above average catcher that can hit.
    Maybe you meant all around prospects, but if you really meant "hitters" like you said, Lindor isn't the offensive prospect Myers is and it's not even close really.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    Lindor has the offensive tools to make himself just as valuable at the SS position as Myers may be in RF. Hard to say given how raw Lindor is and whether or not Myers can rake at the major league level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    dead link, and I couldn't google find it.
    Just go to his site and you will find it there, but I pasted what he had to say anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Lindor has the offensive tools to make himself just as valuable at the SS position as Myers may be in RF. Hard to say given how raw Lindor is and whether or not Myers can rake at the major league level.
    Yeah. The point is he said hitters. When I hear top hitters I think best hitter, not best all around prospect. Tavares and Myers are the two best hitters in the minors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    Yeah. The point is he said hitters. When I hear top hitters I think best hitter, not best all around prospect. Tavares and Myers are the two best hitters in the minors.
    Yup.

Players and hitters are different terms.

I see Lindor as a future Elvis Andrus (depending how the D turns out). But comparable offensively as well.

vCash
    Comparing anyone to Vlad is crazy talk. One because Vlad is one of the most unique hitters of all time and no prospect can compare to that and two because Vlad was an ugly defensive player. Never considered Edmonds an elite defensive CF either and I think Taveras can play a competent CF at least while he's in his 20's.

Of course it's positional players people. Where I think these guys end up is a major factor into how their bat is going to be valued.

vCash
    Lindor should offer more speed and possibly even a little more pop than Andrus, but I could see the tremendous value defensively Andrus offers as well.

vCash
    Vlad might not be a great comp but Edmonds was worse. Tavares is a high batting average guy who should have above average power and play above average D in the corners. Probably 70-75 bat, 60-70 power and 50-60 defense.

vCash
    From what I've read/heard about Lindor he's an above average but not elite defensive SS. Which is great, but I think Andrus is the better defender. Jason Parks always said Lindor's very comparable to Profar, just a little worse across the board.

Page 27 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast