Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Buy or Sell?

vCash

Buy or Sell?

We're a month and a half into the 2029 season, and already, there are a lot of people looking at the playoff picture. Obviously, you can't tell a lot from the first month and a half of the season, but hey, that won't stop me from trying! Now, what this article will cover are teams who not many thought would be having a great season, or those coming out of a rebuild. That, or teams who have been good in the past, and are currently not in the playoff picture. Looking at their teams, I analyze whether or not they make the playoffs.

We'll start with the Angels. The Angles have a new GM in Dhop, and so far, his first season has been a bigger success than the Angles have had in a long, long time. Sure, they're just a game over 500, but in a weaker division, and considering their history, it's not a shock that so many Angles fans (well, the ones that are left, anyway) are excited. Really, what's not to be excited about? Well, the Red Sox's insane 32-9 record for one thing... But that's besides the point. Fact is, they have some pretty exciting young talent in guys like Gary Oak, Timothy McGee, and Gordan Bentley. These are guys to build around, and right now and a large payroll. But we aren't talking about the future, we're talking about this season. What are the Angel's chances of making the playoffs? Well, obviously with no sign of the Red Sox slowing down, we're gonna have to look at them for the wild card. Honestly, I'm gonna have to sell them here. The AL West is extremely competitive again this year, and I have to imagine that the wild card is coming from them again.
    Verdict: Sell. But they definitely finish over 500 for the second straight season.

I wanna talk about what has quickly become one of the most unpredictable and difficult divisions in baseball, the NL Central. Last year, it had 4 teams with at least a 500 winning percentage. Those teams being the Reds, Pirates, Astros, and Cardinals. This year, the Brewers are leading the division at 27-14, followed closely by the Cardinals and Reds, where the Pirates and Astros have dropped off. As everyone knows, Strife and the Brewers had a crazy off-season. Trading for and signing big names all over the place. Guys like Jesus Rodriguez, Lorenzo Costa, Ernest Judy, and of course, future Hall of Famer, Ace Pitcher Sam Francis. I called them to win the world series, and my opinion isn't changing. The Reds on the other hand have suffered through a lot of underperformance from some key players, like new acquisitions Shawn Spencer and Daniel Ringwood. As well as returning players Tony DiNozzo and Alfonso Sanchez. However, I doubt their struggles keep up all season, and in the end, I expect them to barely beat out the Cardinals after a long battle for the wild card. So there, three buy/sells in one, long paragraph.
    Cardinals: Sell
    Reds: Buy
    Brewers: Buy

Next, Tuz and his Seattle Mariners.
    Verdict: Sell.

Let's shift to the NL for a while, and concentrate on the New York Mets
    The Mets have been a good team for a pretty long time now, and you kinda feel bad for them having lived in the Nationals' shadow for so long. But right now, the Nationals are in rebuild. Enter the Marlins. The Marlins are stacked with heavy talent right now, and have sort of replaced the Nationals as the team who most will see as the run-aways with the division. That being said, can the Mets win the wild card? This is where it gets a bit tricky. Their pitching is as always very good. But I don't feel like their hitting is deep enough and statistics support that as they are 16th in batting and on base percentage in the NL. They've called up promising catcher/1st base prospect Gellert Grindelwald in hopes of re-surging their offense, so let's see if that's enough. As of right now, I have to sell them as well though.
    Verdict: Sell

Back to the AL.

Chicago White Sox:
    Wait, am I reading this right? The White Sox are in first place? Geez, when was the last time we heard that? Well, that being said, let's take a look. There's no doubt, the White Sox have a terrifying lineup. Specifically that middle part. Lord Voldemort, Anthony Rendon, and Cisco Perez could be described the Traveling Wilburys of young baseball talent. However, I question the depth in their lineup and rotation outside of those three players. I don't see them winning the division or making the playoffs this year, but it's getting scary. If it were another division though, it'd be hard to say, but I don't see them beating out KC and Toronto. Not yet anyway.
    Verdict: Sell

#VoteRizzo... or else

vCash
    Good idea for an article. I'll throw in my two cents, I don't think the White Sox or Cardinals should sell. The NL Central is pretty up in the air, I think Pittz has as good a chance as Strife or the Reds to win it. As for the White Sox, I'm not suggesting they gut the farm, but the best chance they've had in quite some time is this, and the core is in place. If I were them I'd start adding role players around Voldy, Cisco and Rendon.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    I need Mark Prior to be my Roy Orbison. The cavalry is coming, don't think I need to sell just yet.

vCash
    Not that I want to rain on the CWS parade but if you think he should buy he might want to upgrade those 4 replacement level starters (and the now out for 13 months Gomez who was solid). Especially since it's unlikely they'll post a 4.17 ERA the rest of the way.

I'd say that would be a bigger issue than the lineup, which is pretty solid at the moment.
    Last edited by Twitchy; 02-13-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    I'll sell on my team making the playoffs too, unless some players can turn it around

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    Next, Tuz and his Seattle Mariners.
    Verdict: Sell.
    I lol'd.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    I hate every one of you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTuzSea View Post
    I hate every one of you.
    Serves you right. you still owe me a slanderous article about your own team. Until then, bring on the OTS jokes!

#VoteRizzo... or else

vCash