Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Bucks general manager John Hammond said Friday that he was "taken a little bit off guard" by Brandon Jennings' comments about his future and thinking about moving to a bigger market.

Jennings made the comments in an ESPN article by Chris Broussard and the Bucks point guard followed up with some remarks after the team shootaround Friday morning at Quicken Loans Arena.

It has been a busy time for Jennings, who also said Friday he had "a major chip" on his shoulder after not being selected Thursday for the Eastern Conference all-star team and would use it as motivation to try to lead the Bucks back to the playoffs.

"I'd like to say how much respect we as an organization have for Brandon and how much we appreciate what he's done for us since he's been a Milwaukee Buck," Hammond said in an interview Friday afternoon.

"But what Brandon has done is put the cart before the horse, so to speak. The five guys mentioned (in the ESPN story) all signed rookie extensions and all had player options at the end of those extensions. That's the case with Dwight Howard right now."

The five players named in the story were LeBron James, Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Howard.

"They're all multiple-time all-stars," Hammond said. "They had player options and chose to explore them. Brandon is on a rookie contract."

Jennings mentioned Howard and Paul in talking about his own thinking. The Orlando center is a six-time all-star making his fifth All-Star Game start this season, while Paul is a five-time all-star making his third start.

"I know Brandon's name was mentioned in the all-star discussion, which is a real honor to him," Hammond said. "But when Brandon mentions himself with such players, while I appreciate his comments, I will be excited if some day other people around the NBA are also mentioning Brandon's name with Chris Paul and Dwight Howard."

Hammond said the Bucks have believed in Jennings when others didn't, including draft night in 2009 when they chose him with the 10th overall pick.

"We all remember draft night when Brandon wasn't even in the auditorium," Hammond said. "There was speculation Brandon could fall in the draft. Brandon did come back in the auditorium after the 11th pick and was announced at that time and put his Bucks hat on.

"Since Day One Brandon has been great for us. Scott (Skiles) put the ball in his hands and made him a starter from Day One. He had a tremendous rookie year and helped lead us into the playoffs."

Jennings cannot be an unrestricted free agent until 2014. He will be eligible to sign an extension with the Bucks this summer and be at the same point center Andrew Bogut was in the summer of 2008.

Bogut, the top overall pick in the 2005 draft, and the Bucks reached a five-year contract extension that summer, shortly after Hammond had been named the team's general manager, replacing Larry Harris.

If Jennings chooses not to sign an extension, he still is under contract to the Bucks next season. The Bucks could make a qualifying offer in the summer of 2013, when Jennings would be a restricted free agent.

Pre-game update: Skiles said before the game against Cleveland that forward Ersan Ilyasova would be available.

Ilyasova missed the Bucks' 105-99 victory over Toronto on Wednesday due to back spasms.

Cleveland coach Byron Scott said he would not be afraid to play point guard Ramon Sessions for big minutes against the Bucks. The Cavs are without rookie starter Kyrie Irving, out due to a concussion.

"One thing, if we go all the way back to training camp, Sess (Sessions) was in tremendous shape," Scott said. "Even two nights ago in the start of the fourth quarter I went to the bench and I kneeled down and said, 'Sess, I'm probably going to have to put you back in there a little earlier than I want.'

"I think it was about a minute later, I said, 'We've got to get him back in there.' I know he's capable of playing 45 (minutes), 48 if I really needed him to."

With Irving out both Friday night and for Saturday's game against Philadelphia, the Cavaliers signed guard Ben Uzoh to a 10-day contract. Uzoh was playing for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA Development League.
    -Charlie Gardner JSonline

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/139122044.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    That's exactly what the NBA is now a days. They might as well just turn teams like Milwaukee, New Orleans, Sacramento and others into essentially Triple A teams that develop young players for the good teams. That's pretty much what it seems like is happening. You draft a young player, suffer through the learning years, then once he gets good, you lose him to a "big" market team.

I don't blame Brandon, but I also think its somewhat foolish. Let's say he goes to a place like New York, with Carmelo and Amare. He is at best the number three option. He's essentially Chris Bosh, but guys don't see that. If he stays in Milwaukee, he'll be option 1 or 2. He'll be able to shine quite a bit more than he would in a big market in my opinion. He won't be as ridiculed for every dumb shot he takes (admit it Bucks fans, we love him but he does take some dumb shots some times). He won't be under the microscope that the Heat are.
    That's ********, i don't want to hear this argument anymore. Look at Indiana, Minnesota, OKC, all terrible teams not too long ago. Put someone in the front office that knows what is going on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by time4change View Post
    That's ********, i don't want to hear this argument anymore. Look at Indiana, Minnesota, OKC, all terrible teams not too long ago. Put someone in the front office that knows what is going on.
    But my point is that all of that is cyclical. Those teams used to be terrible, then they got a couple good drafts in a row, and now they are good (except Minn really isn't that great, they just have potential). In a few years, those teams will start to get gutted a little. Then they'll be right back to being mediocre once there good players start to leave and age. They'll be right back to square one.

That's not neccesarily the case for big markets. Look at the Lakers. They lost Shaq, then had a few poor years where Kobe talked about being traded, they made some big name trades for guys who wanted to leave small markets (Gasol). Those teams get the good end of those trades, small markets get the bad end, or the risky, high upside players who don't always pan out. Also, the Knicks essentially did nothing to improve their team except be from New York. They signed Amare just cuz they're from NY. Carmelo would only be traded there, because they are from New York. Guys like
    Chris Paul and Dwight Howard consider going their cuz they're NY. It has nothing to do with the front office, its all the market.

That's not going to happen in Minn or Milwaukee. I really think OKC is the exception. They did a good job of finding a couple straight drafts of guys who turned out and like playing together. But teams like Indiana like you mentioned. They have a nice young group of players, who make up a solid but not elite team. I really don't see them making that jump to elite. They'll stay around that 4-6 seed for a couple years, eventually people will start to get sick of first round elimiations or the occasional first round win and then early second round exit. They won't be able to get the stars needed to win.

vCash
    With Lin playing out of his mind. Means one less large market for Jennings.

vCash
    I would wait a couple games before counting too much on Lin. He's looked fantastic so far, but everyone has a couple good games. I'm not saying he's 100% certain to drop off, but look at Jennings's early Bucks career. We thought he was going to be an absolute stud, especially after that 55 point performance. He's shown that he's not that good, he's just a good not great player. Lin could very easily be the same thing. He wasn't really a great shooter according to former coaches, but now he's shooting well. I'm not sure if that's a fluke hot streak, or a real improvement. Only time will tell if he really is a better long term option than Jennings.

vCash
    Would you guys make this trade with Orlando?

Jameer,Anderson,Redick,1rd for Jennings,Sjax

vCash
    Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that would spark Howard to stay a little while yet by you guys. I get Redick chucking threes like I wanted and a beast pf in Anderson. Nelson is just here. But fine with that.

vCash
    Do you think Jennings and Dwight would make a good duo?

vCash
    Too bad the Celtics won't go after him.
    20+ years from now I and others will look back @WMXXX and say remember when Brock Beat The Undertaker? More people will remember his only loss more than those 21 Straight wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D12 fan View Post
    Do you think Jennings and Dwight would make a good duo?
    I think they'd be solid together. It wouldn't be Amare and Nash, but it would be more than ok. When Bogut was healthy before the freak arm injury, they actually ran the pick and roll pretty well together. I think he'd benefit from playing with an athletic big, but there would need to be more pieces to that puzzle than just those two.

vCash
    Yes perfect, as they played today. None was a class.

vCash
    I gotta agree with Crew. I've been livid for years at how the NBA has done things. I've even commented that they need to have a cap like the NFL. Most of the arguments that came back basically just said the NBA is entertainment and they need teams like the Lakers and Boston to be dominate to stay afloat because places like Milwaukee can't support the Lakers and Boston's lose if they went to the hard cap. Apparently, those same fans haven't seen the Brewers attendance skyrocket.

vCash
    To Milwaukee: J.Nelson + J.Reddick + C.Duhon

To Orlando: J.Calderon + S.Jackson

To Toronto: B.Jennings + B.Udrih

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    No thanks. Duhon is aweful. Already mentioned to Magic trade topic no to Hedo/Duhon. Nelson isn't that good either.

vCash
    What about Brandon Jennings to the Lakers for the lakers 2 first round picks and a player like Darius Morris or Steve Blake

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast