Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is this years team one of the G.O.A.T?

I know we had the HOF team in 2002, 62 wins '95-96, back to back cups in 97 & 98. This years team smashed a franchise record for consecutive wins at home and are curently chasing the NHL record, also could challenge most home wins in a season with 36 ( also a team record). Jimmy Howard is on pace to break Terry Sawchuks team record of 44 wins in a season, and could vey well challenge Martin Brodeurs NHL record of 48. IMO this years team hasn't even hit their potential yet. Maybe I'm just getting caught up in all of this record talk, but I think this season is definatley gonna end huge, possbly with a legend going out on top.
    Green Bay Packers
    Detroit Red Wings
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Toronto Raptors

vCash
    Eh, you could argue that 2002's team is better. We really have struggled in our last five, luckily for us, Howie and Dats have been awesome.

Lidstrom, and Zetterberg have struggled.

vCash
    ^ Rightfully so, but the star power was way greater on the 2002 team than this years. We have struggled, but we still won those 5.
    Green Bay Packers
    Detroit Red Wings
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Toronto Raptors

vCash
    I wouldn't the best Wings team ever just yet. This team has been pretty good but I want to win the cup before this talk starts. Motown is thirty and needs a drink

vCash
    Its a bit early to be calling this team all-time great especially considering they do not even have the highest win % in the league.

You also have to keep in mind with these home wins, we've had quite a few in shootouts. The old records did not have the benefit of a shootout to decide a game for them.

As much as I would like to go all-in and say I think this team is going to win the Cup (which is really what it is all about anyway), I'd like to see some more consistency on D first. Ericsson still scares the crap out of me and it seems like every game Stuart is turning the puck over in his own zone. Fortunately, Jimmy Howard has been a boss.

I really have a hard time comparing this team to 2002. That team has 10 potential hall of famers on it. Right now we have 3-4 potentially? I think they have quite a bit more work to do before we even have this conversation.

vCash
    Seeing that it's essentially the same team from last year, nope. I think they are working well as whole, but not the 02 team by a long shot, at least not yet.

Side note, how Badass would a DET-NYR Finals be?!
    Last edited by westhockeytown; 01-24-2012 at 11:29 PM.

vCash
    I'm not saying we are better than the '02 team. That team in my opinion is one of the greatest teams ever assembled in the NHL. If all of these records were to fall, and we win the cup, it will be hard not to put this team up there as one of the great Red Wings teams. I do agree though, '02 is probably the best yet.
    Green Bay Packers
    Detroit Red Wings
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Toronto Raptors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedWings734 View Post
    Its a bit early to be calling this team all-time great especially considering they do not even have the highest win % in the league.

You also have to keep in mind with these home wins, we've had quite a few in shootouts. The old records did not have the benefit of a shootout to decide a game for them.

As much as I would like to go all-in and say I think this team is going to win the Cup (which is really what it is all about anyway), I'd like to see some more consistency on D first. Ericsson still scares the crap out of me and it seems like every game Stuart is turning the puck over in his own zone. Fortunately, Jimmy Howard has been a boss.

I really have a hard time comparing this team to 2002. That team has 10 potential hall of famers on it. Right now we have 3-4 potentially? I think they have quite a bit more work to do before we even have this conversation.
    Just to correct you, we DO have the best winning % in the league.
    Green Bay Packers
    Detroit Red Wings
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Toronto Raptors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeznWingz View Post
    I'm not saying we are better than the '02 team. That team in my opinion is one of the greatest teams ever assembled in the NHL. If all of these records were to fall, and we win the cup, it will be hard not to put this team up there as one of the great Red Wings teams. I do agree though, '02 is probably the best yet.
    Well, obviously if they break records and win the cup this year, they are gonna be considered one of the greatest. I think they have potential to be. They just need to shore some things up, mainly Conks needs to be a better support. If Howie goes down, what can be done if Conks can't step up? Some of the D (not mentioning any names, you guys know who I'm talking about) needs to be better also. We have all the components to be a great team, they just have to consistently play cohesive hockey. The Jello's almost set.

vCash
    We need to win the damn thing to have this discussion.

vCash
    Don't jinx it, OP. Just roll with the good times.
    You're talking to me all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron. Hey, tell me, does your mother sew? BOOM. Get her to sew that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Jam Hammer View Post
    Bullseye.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Jam Hammer View Post
    This.

I'm surprised this has been brought up at all. When we hit a rough stretch the sky is falling, when we get a good streak going we're the greatest ever.

vCash
    I agree if they do finish this season off correctly the argument will be valid. '02 was an amazing team and year, but they built that team full of Hall of Famers. This team has been primarily built internally. That says a lot, especially if they break some of these records that were all set before salary cap.

vCash
    This years team cannot be compared to any year's team until it brings home the Cup. The 2002 team was far too special any way. Keep in mind that it had to live up to monster expectations and that is what led to the Avalanche really taking it to them in the middle of that series.

No one can touch the 2002 team. I put that one up against any other franchise's greatest!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast