Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

How much does size really matter for QBs?

I hear people talk about how tall QB prospects are all the time, whether or not they have "prototypical size" or whatever, but I've been thinking, and really, how much does it matter? I don't think very much as long as the guy is good. I think it's a factor to consider, but I don't think a QB should be written off for being short just as I don't think he should be significantly upgraded in terms of projectability just because of his size. Lets go through some starting QBs:

Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Mark Sanchez
    Andy Dalton
    Chad Henne
    Tony Romo
    Michael Vick
    Robert Griffin III
    Russell Wilson
    Matt Stafford
    Aaron Rodgers
    Christian Ponder
    Drew Brees

That's 12 starting QBs under 6'3'' right now in the NFL. More than 1/3 of the league. So, is height really THAT big of a deal when evaluating QB prospects?
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Most of these QBs have been dealing with being shorter their whole career. Personally I don't put a lot of weight into it. Usually it's pretty easy to see if being shorter has an effect on them.

vCash
    When I first saw this thread I thought to myself "Ask their wives".

But I would say its all about scheme that they come into in the league. Someone who is going to have to stand in the pocket and see over OLmen who are typically 6'3 to 6'8 range height, then yes they should be taller. In ZBS systems or offenses where the QB rolls out or is allowed to move to find gaps to throw through, then height is kind of taken out of things.

vCash
    It depends on the system your NFL team runs. I'm biased because New England typically looks for taller pocket-passing quarterbacks and has built their offensive line to mesh with this type of QB as well. I will say that I thought Wilson would bust because he was so short, and I was certainly wrong on that one.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I hear people talk about how tall QB prospects are all the time, whether or not they have "prototypical size" or whatever, but I've been thinking, and really, how much does it matter? I don't think very much as long as the guy is good. I think it's a factor to consider, but I don't think a QB should be written off for being short just as I don't think he should be significantly upgraded in terms of projectability just because of his size. Lets go through some starting QBs:

Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Mark Sanchez
    Andy Dalton
    Chad Henne
    Tony Romo
    Michael Vick
    Robert Griffin III
    Russell Wilson
    Matt Stafford
    Aaron Rodgers
    Christian Ponder
    Drew Brees

That's 12 starting QBs under 6'3'' right now in the NFL. More than 1/3 of the league. So, is height really THAT big of a deal when evaluating QB prospects?
    Depends on what you're grading success on. If you're saying being a starter is enough that's well and good , but if you're talking about being a good NFL QB (as in numbers and/or wins)? Then there's like 3-5 guys on that list that are irrelevant examples
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by c_reinert View Post
    Depends on what you're grading success on. If you're saying being a starter is enough that's well and good , but if you're talking about being a good NFL QB (as in numbers and/or wins)? Then there's like 3-5 guys on that list that are irrelevant examples
    There are tall guys that are bad QBs too though. Blaine Gabbert, anyone who starts in Arizona, Alex Smith, Carson Palmer, Matt Cassel. The point is, is height really a determining factor for how good a QB can be? I don't really think so.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    the most improtant thing to judge a qb to be a starter has to have good arm strength with good accuracy and touch when needed.

size doesnt matter a whole lot. sure if u can get a qb with the same Talents and one is 6 foot 200 pounds and one is 6 foot 4 220 and all measurables are equal and their talents are equal id take the bigger guy but thats just me.

The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Power Couple

#InCaldwellWeDon'tTrust

vCash
    There are tall guys that are bad QBs too though. Blaine Gabbert, anyone who starts in Arizona, Alex Smith, Carson Palmer, Matt Cassel. The point is, is height really a determining factor for how good a QB can be? I don't really think so.
    I don't think anyone who's opinion actually matters say its a determining factor, it however does play a role. Naturally size and athleticism give you an advantage but that doesn't mean smaller guys can't succeed
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash
    I don't think anyone who's opinion actually matters say its a determining factor, it however does play a role. Naturally size and athleticism give you an advantage but that doesn't mean smaller guys can't succeed
    Just because you're tall doesn't mean you're athletic, and vice versa. Look at Russell Wilson. Look at RGIII. Neither are terribly tall, both are incredible athletes. On the other hand, guys like Matt Schaub, Matt Hasselbeck, Carson Palmer, and again any QB that Arizona starts are tall, but not really that athletic.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash

Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Mark Sanchez
    Andy Dalton
    Chad Henne
    Tony Romo
    Michael Vick
    Robert Griffin III
    Russell Wilson
    Matt Stafford
    Aaron Rodgers
    Christian Ponder
    Drew Brees

I love this debate so don't take it this the wrong way but I think the list you have here and the argument is sort of flawed.

First off a few of the guys on that list are 6'3. Like Stafford who I remember people saying was the ideal prototypical QB size. But a majority of the other guys are 6'2. I think Brees and Vick are 6' and Wilson's the only one under.

I guess my point is its hard to debate tall vs short when you make the cutoff point 6'3 and split the QB's down the line. You'd be better off throwing out all the 6'1 and 6'2 guys. Then comparing between 6' and under to guys 6'3 and above.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    I love this debate so don't take it this the wrong way but I think the list you have here and the argument is sort of flawed.

First off a few of the guys on that list are 6'3. Like Stafford who I remember people saying was the ideal prototypical QB size. But a majority of the other guys are 6'2. I think Brees and Vick are 6' and Wilson's the only one under.

I guess my point is its hard to debate tall vs short when you make the cutoff point 6'3 and split the QB's down the line. You'd be better off throwing out all the 6'1 and 6'2 guys. Then comparing between 6' and under to guys 6'3 and above.
    Stafford is actually a shade under 6'3'' per his combine numbers.

Under 6'3'' is considered below average size for a QB. The line for me wasn't arbitrary.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    If you are under 6'6 you have no chance of seeing over 6'6 - 6'8 lineman anyways. I believe that there are ways of getting around it. It is an advantage when passing but a disadvantage for running.

Wilson and Griffin are proving it still is very workable to be a shorter QB.

vCash
    Height is overrated, massively.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash

Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Mark Sanchez
    Andy Dalton
    Chad Henne
    Tony Romo
    Michael Vick
    Robert Griffin III
    Russell Wilson
    Matt Stafford
    Aaron Rodgers
    Christian Ponder
    Drew Brees

Chad Henne must be at least 6 4?
    _

Adopt a Jet

Bilal Powell - 2014
    7 carries, 33 yards
    4 receptions, 38 yards

vCash
    6'2'' according to the NFL Combine
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast