vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitfisto007 View Post
    1a. OLB/DE Nick Perry
    1b. CB Janoris Jenkins
    2a. DT/DE Brandon Thompson
    2b. WR Joe Adams
    3. OG/OT Mitchell Schwartz
    4. S Phillip Thomas

That's what I got so far. I feel like Belichick can use Dowling or McCourty at FS because Jenkins would give him the flexibility to do so and Thomas is insurance if that doesn't work out. I also feel as though Adams is a suitable replacement for Welker and he worked with Mallett at Arkansas. Schwartz is talented O-line insurance and Perry would be the best player available at 27. Thompson is one of those players who is never connected to the Patriots, so he's a classic darkhorse pick here. I'm not going to predict trades, but I know they will happen.
    Mmmmm...

Schwartz is an interesting guy and might well appeal to BB. Brandon Thompson is a beast.

I don't see Adams going before the late 3rd and what do we want with him - unless there is a deal?

Philip Thomas doesn't appear to have a shot to be drafted above round 6 on any site I look at.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I think Welker is on his way out, and Adams could sit a year like many young Patriots WRs do. I like his set of skills. I think that the end of the second is a reach, but not a drastic one, plus the Patriots have reached for players they like before.

WalterFootball has Thomas near the top of the 5th round and ESPN's "10 Possible Patriots" has Thomas going in the "middle rounds." So meh, I don't think the end of the 4th round is out of the question for Thomas. I like his center-field ability.
    Gary Guyton: The fastest linebacker this side of the Mississippi

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Cool. Thanks. I notice that my favorite reasonably attainable guard (some say tackle) is now mocking around #24-#27 - that being one Cordy Glenn. Now with the coaching we have, we could draft Osemele or Brooks type guys and coach them up. If BB doesn't see dire problems at OL then he may well do that, and draft a center too boot (Ben Jones and Philip Blake in the early 3rd and mid 3rd respectively).

OTOH, if Glenn is there he may well be the highest rated player on the board. If Vollmer in particular worries BB (and either Light or Waters retires - or worse - both), and BB wants a can't miss (he almost always drafts smart and safe with the first pick) - then viola - Glenn. Plus I think he might get a bit of kick out of all draftnik experts going beserk with the pick
    I like Glenn a lot since he has the potential to be a tackle, but he also can slide inside and play guard. This would give us options at guard and tackle if injury problems persist, and Scar likes versatile offensive linemen. Osemele looks like a great value in round two, but Glenn is the superior prospect and may be attainable with one of our 1st rounders. Ben Jones would be a solid pick, and he's been a guy that I've been big on in round 3 for awhile. If we draft a center like Jones/Blake, that also gives us the option to put Connolly back at guard, so we'd have options once again.

Kitfisto brings up a nice candidate in Schwartz, and I'd give him a look in round two even. Scouts say that Schwartz is a very cerebral player that can play every position on the offensive line. I'm a little biased since I've met his brother Geoff Schwartz (played for Oregon), and both brothers are incredibly smart.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitfisto007 View Post
    I think Welker is on his way out, and Adams could sit a year like many young Patriots WRs do. I like his set of skills. I think that the end of the second is a reach, but not a drastic one, plus the Patriots have reached for players they like before.

WalterFootball has Thomas near the top of the 5th round and ESPN's "10 Possible Patriots" has Thomas going in the "middle rounds." So meh, I don't think the end of the 4th round is out of the question for Thomas. I like his center-field ability.
    I've been thinking about dealing Welker for over a year. Wouldn't surprise me, and could be a good move, but if we draft someone, BB would like an actual player ready to go. I just don't think Adams is worth a reach in the 2nd when there are studs galore (that can play right away) in that range. This isn't a good year for slots IMO.

Thomas is an athlete. If we had a weak ST squad might be a good idea, but we are loaded already. How can we afford to carry another ST only player on this roster? If we deal for a 5th to draft him, he's likely to be cut. Instead there are some great project NT and OL's hanging out in that area. I had him listed before as a UDFA pick-up if he's not drafted.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Janoris Jenkins admitted to continuing smoking pot while at North Alabama, which probably knocks him out of round one. It's admirable that he admitted this, but teams will be concerned that he won't be able to pass a drug test...

vCash
    I feel like a hypocrite when I rip athletes for smoking pot because to be honest I smoke plenty myself. But they have millions of dollars on the line. If I had that much at stake, you can bet your *** I'd quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I feel like a hypocrite when I rip athletes for smoking pot because to be honest I smoke plenty myself. But they have millions of dollars on the line. If I had that much at stake, you can bet your *** I'd quit.
    Exactly, and it is more of an example of the commitment Jenkins is willing to give. I'm not against drafting Jenkins, but after all the trouble he has been in (he also has 3 kids) it would be concerning to see how he reacts to having money to burn. The funny thing is that this may make it more possible that the Pats select him. With two 2nd rounders, Belichick may take a flier on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyistheman12 View Post
    Exactly, and it is more of an example of the commitment Jenkins is willing to give. I'm not against drafting Jenkins, but after all the trouble he has been in (he also has 3 kids) it would be concerning to see how he reacts to having money to burn. The funny thing is that this may make it more possible that the Pats select him. With two 2nd rounders, Belichick may take a flier on him.
    Sorry the phrase in bold just struck me funny because of the topic.

Yeah I'm in the same way of thinking as both of you. I do feel like a hypocrate criticizing athletes for smoking but at the same time, any time I've been required to, I've quit. And none of those scenarios were me getting a guaranteed contract for millions of dollars to play football as my career.

I'm all for taking him if he's available though. He's one of the possible shut down cornerbacks in the draft and at the moment, we don't have one. Aaron Hernandez had similar issues while at Florida, he'd be a good person to keep Janoris's head on straight if we were to take him since he seems to get it.

Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2013
    -mooz

vCash
    So, I don't know if any of you caught the "Sportcenter: On the Clock" special yesterday but a few things I noticed:

-Quinton Coples is a big man. He also seems pretty comfortable with the media.

-Stephen Gilmore seems to have potential but honestly, the whole time I listened to him talk and saw how he handled some of the pressure questions, I couldn't help but think he was fooling people. Just seems like one of those combine all-star types. He also seemed to get flustered at times and just start repeating himself while answering questions. I have a feeling he's going to bust. Just a hunch though.

-I want the Patriots to trade up and draft Melvin Ingram so bad. Granted I don't do the research many of you do but I was unaware he played 4 positions regularly during his time in college. That just screams BB type player. What a playmaker too.The fact that we brought him in for a workout could mean a lot or it could mean nothing, just the way Belichick likes it but I have to believe Ingram's a guy that BB would love to get his hands on. The crazy things he could do with him would be fun to watch.

-Mel Kiper (who I'm not a fan of) and Todd McShay (who I am a fan of) absolutely hate each other and I find it incredibly entertaining.

-mooz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mooz View Post
    -Mel Kiper (who I'm not a fan of)
    As a source of entertainment or actual knowledge? I'm with you, he fails either way.

He's a fine entertainer, heck every time I see that Eddie Munster haircut I get a laugh. Everytime I look at his failed Patriots 1st round guesses I laugh too.

Everytime he calls a BB pick such as Vollmer a 5th rounder at best and a total over reach, I mark it down because he's almost always wrong.

I am offended by Pats fans that draw a bead on BB because he failed to meet their expectations of picks that were set by Kiper and pals. As if any of them know even fraction about judging football talent compared to BB. I notice no team pays them for their expertise. They just look over the collation work of scouts that know something, and hope to get a GM or two with loose lips to help spice it all up with a hint of legitimacy.

I despise Kiper and those Pats fans that believe the man with no clothes over BB. Collective insanity.

As for Jenkins, I'd probably take a stab if I had pick #46 and he was on the board and I hadn't taken any CB's earlier.

I like Ingram, but this draft supports trading down or up into the #33-90 range for value purposes. Keeping 31 and dealing 27 gives us litteraly a chance for three (or maybe four) players not one. Moving up to Ingram costs us basically 3 players from the strong range in the draft. Not sure anybody in this draft is worth that.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 04-13-2012 at 09:53 AM.

vCash
    ^Yeah I hate Kiper either way, entertainer/analyst/person. The reason for "person" being, one of my biggest pet peeves is when someone disagrees with someone and they instantly attack the person without so much as a counter point. Kiper does that to McShay constantly.

I like McShay and Mayock mainly because they both seem logical and I like logic. One of my favorite draft moments ever was 2 years ago when Kiper attacked McShay for saying Jimmy Claussen would go in the second round. Then when he did go in the second round, McShay said nothing. It was actually another analyst that said to Mel, "So Mel, did you notice Claussen went in round 2" that Kiper went into little kid in a timeout mode stomping his feet and refusing to admit being wrong and being all angry it was brought up. I found it so funny because you know if the roles were reversed, Kiper would be throwing it in McShay's face.

Kiper on the other hand has 0 logic. I'll just state for the record, I don't like college football whatsoever so most of the information I get on players is through this board and reading mock drafts. And every year, in his mock drafts, on different NFL shows on ESPN and during the actual draft, I can pick out guys Kiper is overhyping and draft predictions that are just completely idiotic. This guy is known as the resident ESPN Draft Guru and he can't notice simple flaws in his predictions like what a team's actual needs are? What a joke.

I also hear you on Ingram, it was more wishful thinking on my part that he'd fall a ways but I doubt he willl. And I agree, 3 quality starters are better than 1 at a position that has a high bust rate.

-mooz

vCash
    and now Claussen shines Cam Newton's cleats before games

vCash
    I just updated my latest mock draft.

I have us trading with SD, where we select DE/OLB Ingram, who is still on the board.
    TRADE: SD trades #18, #49 to NE for #27, #62, #93, 2013 4rd
    Then, I have us trading with CLE
    TRADE: NE trades #31, #126, 2013 3th to CLE for #37, CLE 2013 2nd
    Thoughts? The link to my full Round 1 Mock is here

vCash
    That first trade with san diego is never going to happen. That is an absolute traderape.

I think the Cleveland trade is deceptively sneaky, and I like it; not out of the realm of possibility, also because they have that #4 pick and may move it down for some serious compensation, thus making a 2013 2nd rounder (a goldmine of a pick) a little more expendable.

vCash
    If Belicheck decides to defy history, there are many 1st round pass-rushing prospects to choose from. What is the consensus on:

Courtney Upshaw (I think he's stupid, but talented. I'd take him.)
    Whitney Mercilus (Too one-dimensional for me.)
    Nick Perry (Needs to play up to his measurables. I'd be okay with him.)
    Chandler Jones (I like his size, but he's raw.)
    Shea McClellin (Complete player, but I think he has limited potential.)

?
    Gary Guyton: The fastest linebacker this side of the Mississippi

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast