Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Eli vs. Peyton Manning: Who would you take?

Peyton and Eli Manning were both number one overall picks. They both played their college ball in the SEC (the toughest conference in College football). They both have fulfilled the expectations and obligations of being, not only franchise quarterbacks, but number one overall picks. My question is, "who has had the better career?"

The criteria for a great career has changed over the last twenty years. I believe it truly began with Michael Jordan. He was in the midst of becoming the best player in the world and could not beat the Detroit Pistons. Magic, Larry and Isiah had dominated the NBA for over a decade. They had ten championships between them. It was largely looked upon, that if Jordan couldn't win a championship, how could he be crowned the best in the world. Well, we all know how that story went. He went on to win six rings. He set a precedent that if your going to be considered the best, then surely you can lead your team to the title. So, the best became associated with how many rings AND your level of production. Hence, the public ridicule of Lebron James, Barry Bonds and Donovan McNabb. All men who produced extremely well statistically, but were unable to produce championships.

Now back to my question. "Who's had the better career?" Statistically, without question Peyton is the clear favorite. Eli has only played 8 years to Peyton's 13 years. With that said, just looking at Peyton's first 8 years, he still was very impressive. 2 MVP'S, 6 Pro Bowls, 5-time All-Pro and led the league in TD passes twice. However, his playoff record was 3-6 with no Super Bowl appearances. In contrast, in his last five years, he was 6-4 in the playoffs with 2 Super Bowl appearances and 1 win. He also continued to have prodigious personal accomplishments. 2 more MVP'S, 5 more Pro Bowls, 2 more All-Pro's and a Super Bowl MVP. I felt like if he had beaten the Saints in the '09 Super Bowl, he had a claim for best QB ever. 4 MVP'S, 11 time Pro Bowler and 5 time All-Pro are unreal accolades for a career.

Eli has had a very good start to his career. In this day and age, QB's are judged more harshly than in previous generations. The emphasis on passing, the intricacies of offenses and the responsibility of being the face of a franchise are astronomical in today's hyper-media society. Only 2 Pro Bowls and twice leading the league in INT's hasn't helped his reputation in sports crazed NY and with those making comparisons to his brother. 2 Super Bowl wins, 2 Super Bowl MVP's and an 8-3 playoff record is what is so interesting.

I have watched sports intensely over the last twenty years. The thing that I have grown to appreciate more than anything is performance in the big moment. Coming to work everyday is admirable ( Peyton's games played streak is remarkable), but I want to see what your made of when the chips are down. Peyton has struggled with that scenario, since his days at Tennessee. He couldn't beat Florida. He couldn't beat the Patriots or the Steelers or the Chargers. He has struggled in big moments. Eli has thrived in them. Two fourth quarter comebacks versus Peyton's arch-nemesis Bill Belichick and contemporary Tom Brady on the biggest stage. He has done what Peyton could not consistently do; win when it mattered the most. It pains me, but for that reason, I would take Eli over Peyton, in terms of having a better career. I truly appreciate Eli's resilience and perseverance. Who would've thunk it! Eli over Peyton.

vCash
    come on rookie do we have to this kinda of thread this is not going to end good itake peyton when it comes to stats but in the playoffs and 4th quarter i am taking my guy eli

vCash
    I'll take Peyton no questions asked. its not even a debate.

vCash
    Just for some context Eli's best QB rating in a season is 93.1, the last time Peyton's was below that was 2002.

vCash
    Who you would take depends on whether you ride the short bus or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Me? I'll take the guy with 2 SuperBowl rings and who's 31. Eli.

vCash
    New York fans get to show their true colors. Here it comes. I hope this thread stays up so we can end the Eli nonsense once and for all.

vCash
    What Eli nonsense?

and I'm a Jets fan and even say Eli.

and I'm hoping we get Peyton. ray:

vCash
    Eli? . Peyton by a mile.

vCash
    Rookie? Nonsense? I may not have posted as much as you guys, but I know football. Peyton is a great Regular season performer. Eli has demonstrated that he is a very good postseason performer. I personally want to win championships versus regular season games. Don't give me passer ratings or statistical jargon. The eyeball test shows Peyton has a propensity to shrink in big moments. Eli rises to the occasion. This is a legit question. Unless you like losing to the Titans at home in a divisional playoff game('99), @Dolphins wilcard('00), @Jets wilcard('02), @NE ('03 & '04) and Pitt at home in ('05). The level of playoff futility falls directly at his feet. Eli may have struck oil, but he did it twice and made it look easy. I love watching playoff performers rise up. He's done that. If you would have told me this in August, I would have thought you were crazy. Not now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jmj365 View Post
    Rookie? Nonsense? I may not have posted as much as you guys, but I know football. Peyton is a great Regular season performer. Eli has demonstrated that he is a very good postseason performer. I personally want to win championships versus regular season games. Don't give me passer ratings or statistical jargon. The eyeball test shows Peyton has a propensity to shrink in big moments. Eli rises to the occasion. This is a legit question. Unless you like losing to the Titans at home in a divisional playoff game('99), @Dolphins wilcard('00), @Jets wilcard('02), @NE ('03 & '04) and Pitt at home in ('05). The level of playoff futility falls directly at his feet. Eli may have struck oil, but he did it twice and made it look easy. I love watching playoff performers rise up. He's done that. If you would have told me this in August, I would have thought you were crazy. Not now.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=8627

Please read and think more.
    Last edited by WadeKobe; 02-07-2012 at 01:57 AM.

vCash
    career? peyton.

now, based on age, injuries, etc? eli.
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

vCash
    Right now for me I would take Eli over any QB..I'm convinced that we still haven't seen the best of Eli and believe the regular season stats are about to pile up for him and some regular season hardware to go along with that..We all know Eli is clutch and personally I could care less about what you do in the first 3 quarters if you are able to lead drives to win in the 4th..means even more when you do it on the biggest stage in football
    Eli Manning going for 2012-2013 NFL MVP

not to mention this: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/ima...ine=1328584116

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYkillaPriest View Post
    Right now for me I would take Eli over any QB..I'm convinced that we still haven't seen the best of Eli and believe the regular season stats are about to pile up for him and some regular season hardware to go along with that..We all know Eli is clutch and personally I could care less about what you do in the first 3 quarters if you are able to lead drives to win in the 4th..means even more when you do it on the biggest stage in football
    This type of thinking is incredibly flawed. It takes for granted that one's team will play well enough around them to keep them in a position to be able to win it in the fourth.

Eli Manning on a mediocre team = 0 4QC, and no "clutch".

But we continue to ignore this in American sports because it is more fun.

vCash
    I've come to the realization "clutchness" is just a small sample size of water that hasn't found it's level yet.
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast