Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Trade Deadline

vCash
    ^^Cant agree more. 3 years for him is really smart, but it also depends on the number which they havent released the terms yet as far as I know? Its a great thing its hard to find a big, bruising 3rd line center that also has a goal scoring touch. These are the players that are crucial to cup wins (I see Brodziak being a Kelly/Malhotra type player both of which has huge parts in Van. and Bos. teams last year and this year)

vCash
    8.75 i believe i saw over 3 years so not bad

vCash
    So Kyle Quincey traded today. can we expect the same return of Zid, Seems like the more and more d-men that are moved the more and more desperate teams are going to get.
    \

vCash
    I think something close, a top pick (late 1st-2nd) and an AHL player. Or a good prospect and late pick or no pick. In thinking more along the lines of a 2nd since Quincey was young and still an RFA after the season ad thats why Detroit was comforitable giving up the first. I don't really see rosetted player for player happening unless someone really gets desperate and offers us a young top 6 forward. It will be interesting and def. something to keep an eye on as we get closer to monday

vCash
    the longer we wait the more desperate teams will get

vCash
    ^^True, the only thing we have going against us is that teams know we want/need to shed him. So while were not desperate they know they can offer a little less then top dollar because we want to get rid of him.

vCash
    true but we could always wait until the off season if need be too but ya i agree with what your sayin

vCash

Brodzy

So, now that we have Brodzy signed for another 3 years, It looks an aweful lot like he is making 2nd-3rd line center money.. (Paying 2.8mill for a third line center IMHO is a bit much though) He is very flexable and has shown that he can move from line to line in any situation so I guess there is value in that.. HOWEVER it opens up a whole gamot of other questions.

We now have Koivu, Cullen, Brodzy, and probably Christiensen(SP?) as our 4 starting Centers.. Where does that put Granlund next year? I'd like to see him as our #2-3 Center, but I think we are paying Brodzy too much money comparilbly to other #3 Centers in the league. Does that make Cullen the odd man out? OR Do we actually put Granlund in the AHL for the year?

Phillips is our "next in line Center" aside from Granlund and I can see him in the AHL for a year or two unless he lights it up..

Granted Christiensen is only on a 1 year deal, we may very well let him go.. But if thats the case, i'm a little disapointed we got rid of wellman for a rental.. I would have rather shipped him for a pick if thats the case.

I love the signing, he has earned it, but I just don't think there are many teams out there with third line players that make pushing 3Mill. (Unless they are in a great third line, which i'm ok if we can make that work too!!)

I just wish for once that the WILD would either be in the playoffs comfortably or out of it enought that they could sell and not P O the team and fans..

Kind of off topic, i've heard rumblings of people being down on Heater and Seto also lately. I just don't think enough people realize that we got more than Seto for burns, and we have gotten a boost in scoring because of him vs burns if you only account for those 2 in the trade.. But as has been mentionned her we got more than just Seto for him.. Also, Heater... Havelat stinks.. PERIOD.. Heater may only be a shell of himself but as a 20-30 goal scorer He is the best we have. And in one regard it is nice to have his 7.5 mill cap hit come off the books in two more years.. hopefully thats about when we'll need it to bring in some additional tallent as the youth movement takes effect. I think it is a smart move.. Maybe he keeps up his 20-30 pace and we miss the playoffs again in 2 years. we will get a solid return for him at the deadline then!!!

Is it just me or do MANY people ouside of this forum not realize that by deffinition Deffense plays Deffense.. So many people just HATE Shultz He has to be bar none one of the most consistent players we have.. Sure maybe he makes a bit much, but I'll pay him that all day long..

OK, i'mgetting a bit long here I think .. (And probably just a touch off topic)

vCash
    ya ik thats what gets me about the wild they always finish about 10th in the conference so we dont get that top end guy ever. We had one chance at that and we got pouliot...

vCash
    @Tg1...First if Granlund doesnt break top 6 once he comes over (which I think mostly everyone anticipates he will) he probably wont be on the NHL squad immediately. I would much rather have him playing 22+ mins a night in the AHL than 12-15 a night in the NHL. Also remember while the organization and Granlund prefer he plays center, there is a good chance because of his size he will get moved to the wing. This happens to many players who come from Europe. Unless Christenson shows something ending the season he probably wont be back. He was mostly brought here for his top 6 skill set to fill in for PMB and Gui because of injury. Our Centers next year should be Koivu-Granlund-Cullen-Brodziak.Now I dont know Brodziak's exact cap hit yet, but MANY high end 3rd line centers make between 2-3m (Examples Stoll in LA 2.6m, Handzus sharks 2m, Steen STL 3.36 although he sometimes plays 2nd, Malhotra Van 2.5, Peverly/Kelly Bruins 3.2/2m Gaustad Buf is 2m and there is more im just tired of looking through capgeek). Brodziak also has the skill set to fill in on the top 6 and a very good scoring touch for a third line center. And with the salary cap looking to increase by another 3-4m (before new CBA) players salaries will go up as well. So I cant say I agree at all with your argument there.

Now I mentioned Granlund might be shifted to wing and you say next in line in Phillips but remember Coyle is a Center as well...Yes he can shift to the wing but his true position is center and he is in line before Phillips. We might have an overload of centers next season, but thats better then the past few years and not having enough. Also we might be inclined to move Cullen at the draft (I really hope so but it probably wont happen).

Im extremely down on Setoguchi and I will tell you exactly why. Fletcher said the deal would not have happened if they wouldnt have included Coyle, he is the true prize of the Burns trade and Coyle has the makings to be a very good NHL player. But Seto is still a top 6 player who is capable of 30g a season and he just isnt putting up the numbers. Im not saying buy him out/trade him, im a huge fan of his but im disappointed with his season. Next season we need to focus on putting pieces around him to make him more successful (i.e a healthy Koivu and some puck moving D) If we were going to make the playoffs he had to be an offensive threat. As far as Heatley goes I couldnt be happier that Havlat is gone. But I also was hoping (and he might still get) 30-35g from Heatley. I know were asking him to play a little more defensive minded, and I understand that and realize he probably wont put up 50 again, but he is capable of 30-35. And even when his contract is about to expire Heatley wont have much value is he under produces for the next 2 years.

vCash
    Never worry about having too many centers, Lots of teams run lines that have two centers on them, for how many players get kicked out of the face off dot now a days its nice to have another centermen who can step in and win the draw.
    \

vCash
    ^^^I would agree that everyone is anticipating Granlund to break top 6 when he comes over. I also certainly hope that he does. I guess I didnít think of them moving him to wing. But I still think that if he stays at Center then we have Cullen at #3 Center and Brodz at #4 Center. And Again, I think that his 2.8mill cap hit will be to high for that. Reading through the list of names, Iím more ok with him making 2.8 mill as a #3 center if he continues to put up the numbers he is.. Iíd be even more happy if he continues to improve.. Hind sight is 20/20 and youíve got me on that one.

As for chirstiensen, As I stated, I donít see us hanging on to him unless he shows us something then he is gone. And Iím still a little disappointed at giving wellman for a rental if that is how it works out. I donít hate fletcher for it, but I think he could have maybe done better. Maybe notÖ. Iím obviously not a GM.. Iím satisfied with the tradeÖ No moreÖ No less. (Unless the production changes)

I think I agree that I would like to see Cullen moved at the draft. If not Iíll live because it is the last year on his contract. Whether we are winning or loosing at that point Iím ok with him for another year. But I donít want to see us re-sign him..

Coyle and Phillips, lets hope, are both ďnext in lineĒÖ While I think Coyle has a size advantage I think it could be a push. I do recall and have argued that Coyle is the reason for the Burns trade. I certainly donít think nor have I argued that it was for Seto alone.. If that were the case we got fleeced. But its not.. We got Phillips via draft and Coyle.. Coyle currently has 18pts 10G8A in 13 games with the seadogs and Phillips has 73pts 28G45A in 51 games. Coyles Stats project out pretty darn good though through 51 games thatís for sureÖ

As for Seto. I still agree 100% Burns to the Sharks doesnít happen with out Coyle.. But Seto putting up 30 goals isnít out of the question still.. Look a the injury and games missed this year. He has something like 14 goals in 46 games.. Last I checked that gets him to 25+ Goals and he BY FAR seems to have had the most difficult time acclimating to the Yeo System. Not to mention the complete lack of consistency in line mates this year. The wild have dressed 39+ guys this year leading the NHL and setting a new franchise mark. I think he is a top 6 guy, but I donít think he has top 3 guy ability. He seems to get so frustrated playing against the oppositions ďshut down linesĒ. Burns has 9 goals in 57 games.. We traded him because we were not going to be able to resign him. We traded him because we needed goals. Last I checked 14 in 46 games is better than 9 in 57.. I understand Burns is a D-man, but at the time of the trade it was considered an area of strength. I think D is still a strength but Offensive D is certainly a weakness now. And as you and I have both arguedÖ We got more than just Seto in this trade. If Seto can be a mid 20ís Ė 30+ guy when healthy year in and year out.. Its still a win for us.. Iím a little disappointed in the season for him also, but I think there is more to it.

Heater has 19 goals at 59 games.. That (Assuming the trends continue even when/if our offense is AWEFUL!!!!) that still puts him at a 30+ goal guy. Only the uninformed could have thought that he was a 50+ guy any more.. But Iíll take Heater for a ďwhats the soup de jour? Itís the soup of the day. Mmmmmm, That sounds good Iíll HavelatĒ ALL DAY LONG. If Fletcher makes trades like that for the rest of his time hear weíll be great.

I think we are on the same page, but have slightly different outlooks for guys.

vCash
    Yes I would rather have too many centers, and I like Christensons game, honestly if we can get him back cheap to play wing (which he plays) on the third line I would be happy.

I agree with most of what your saying. The Wellman-Christen deal makes sense because Wellman just isnt that good, maybe a bottom 6 guy. To trade that for a skill potential top 6 forward when we are missing two of ours, and we got a draft pick. I like it. I know I ooze over Coyle, but he is much more refined NHL ready than Phillips and also has more potential. While I think they both project to top 6 forwards, Coyle has a chance to be something special (Thinking Nathan Horton/Milan Lucic/Bobby Ryan not special like Gaborik/Iginla) while Phillips projects to be a 2nd line center and a good one but there is a difference. Not to mention Coyle is already 6-2 ~210 NHL size. And its a fact, if I could find the article and link it I would, the deal for Seto would not have been made without Coyle involved. I agree he is taking a while to adjust and the personnel hasnt helped, and thats why I am more then fine with where he is. But I expect him to be better next year. He can be a top line forward with his combination of size and hands. Oh and last thing Burns would have signed here again, at least thats what he said once he left, but who knows.

vCash
    We won a shootout a miracle!

vCash

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast