Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 46 of 75 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Hell yeah that's awesome. Hopefully josh duhemel (sp?) an tyrese are in it lol. I have a man crush on them haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    Not sure if anyone here is a fan of transformers movies. I'm personally a huge fan, some of my favorites. But it was just announced mark walhberg will be starring in transformers 4
    seriously

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    Just got back from watching La Russa speak. It was pretty awesome. He's funny.

He told stories about the Cardinals and also about his earlier days with the A's and Sox. He told stories about Rickey Henderson and Dennis Eckersley.

Toward the end fans could ask question. Somebody asked about Cincinnati and La Russa threw his water bottle across the stage. Needless to say, the Reds are the team he hates the most.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redbird89 View Post
    Just got back from watching La Russa speak. It was pretty awesome. He's funny.

He told stories about the Cardinals and also about his earlier days with the A's and Sox. He told stories about Rickey Henderson and Dennis Eckersley.

Toward the end fans could ask question. Somebody asked about Cincinnati and La Russa threw his water bottle across the stage. Needless to say, the Reds are the team he hates the most.
    Should have said hello, you come to my town and don't say hello

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    where you there as well

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I was riding with my sister and we were pressed for time.

La Russa did meet and greet after the show, but it was already nine and we had an hour-and-a-half drive home and my sister has to work tomorrow. It would have taken a long time to get through that big line.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    Hell yeah that's awesome. Hopefully josh duhemel (sp?) an tyrese are in it lol. I have a man crush on them haha
    They've said that no human characters will return but tyrese has said multiple times he wants to be in it so I could see him it. I'd like them back lol

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDirt05 View Post
    seriously
    Yep.

Idk how I feel about it. Really like him but I just don't see the fit.

But you never know, he's a very good actor. My hope is this means Michael Bay is true to his word and they will be more dark movies from here on out, less human and more robots kicking *** lol

vCash
    Some quotes from last night

La Russa was asked by a business executive what his exit strategy was. He replied “If your strategy is bad, they ask you to exit.”
    Sparky Anderson told La Russa, “You rent, you don’t buy.”
    “There’s something about the Cardinals’ fans.” “History and fan support it’s the best. Thank you for having me for 16 years.”
    “We stress competing.” “We’re in uniform to play another team nine innings or more.” “People tell me ‘Whatever happens, happens.’ Oh really? We’ll put you up with the Chicago Cubs.”
    “When you get in real life you have competition.” “Identify what it is, why it fits, and how.” “The how is the key.” “The 2011 Cardinals, what you saw was a team.”
    “It’s not that I don’t think it (cybermetrics, analytics, moneyball) has its place. It has a tiny little place.” “I’m hard on moneyball because moneyball was hard on baseball.”
    “We try to establish a family feeling in the organization.” “Each year starts at zero with respect and trust.” “You have some issues.” “You know how close Chris Carpenter and I are.” “Carp said, ‘I’m not tired.’ I said, ‘Yeah, but the outfielders are.’” “Carp starts the ninth inning.” “He hits Juan Rivera. Here comes Ethier.” “I make a trip to the mound to get him.” “As soon as I step out ‘Booo!!’” (La Russa explains he wanted to walk off with Carp so the fans would cheer.) (Carp said) ‘I’m gonna take the cheers, you take the boos.’ And he walked off.”
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    “We try to be supportive…honest.” “As you get older, players get younger, it (communication) is different.” (About Dennis Eckersley) “Half the time I didn’t know what he was saying.” La Russa stated he didn’t want to admit he didn’t know what Eckersley was talking about, so usually he just went along with it. One outing Eckersley was doing poorly. “Eckersley said, ‘man, I’m just salad.” La Russa didn’t understand and gave Eckersley typical coach advice. Eckersley gave up more hits. La Russa remembered somebody told him “It’s better to be not cool than stupid.” So he asked what Eckersley meant. Eckersley said, “Dude, I’m just tossing it up there.”
    “Rickey Henderson was a lightning rod, a sparkblug.” The papers said he was the “greatest player who has never won.” (Ricky said) “I’m a team man.” Tony told how Rickey ignored his signs and stole bases anyway. The third base coach was also giving conflicting signs. La Russa and Ricky got into it.
    “We treated every player like he was a go-to guy.” “You’re gonna be a pressure go-to guy.” “We made pressure our friend.” “3 part test: preparation (relieves pressure), number of times (we would tell each other this was the seventh game of the World Series), think about the process not the result (pressure distracts you from doing your job).” “(Freese) was thinking about how to have a good at bat.” “Everybody has been taught to deal with pressure.” “Embrace pressure, make it your friend.”
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    La Russa tells a story about Coach Carlyle and Keith Olson of the Mavericks, who are big Cardinal fans and watched some of the games due to the NBA being on strike in 2011. Dirk Novitzki was throwing out the first pitch during that World Series game. His teammates were trying to put pressure on him. Dirk said, “I make love to pressure, that’s who I am.”
    “(Competition) brings out the best in you.” “Good fear. Bad fear.” “Dennis Eckersley had the good fear (he knew how to do his job and do it right).”
    “Number one strength, we personalize the way we approach our responsibility.” “What it is, why, and how.” “We establish relationships with our players every day based on respect, trust, and caring.” “They need to personalize their performance back.”
    “Strengths and assets within us take over.” “Your toughness grows.” “Personalize, personalize, personalize.” “I walked into the bathroom and looked in the mirror and said to the guy next to me ‘I don’t want to be ashamed of the man in the mirror (he did this every day for 33 years).’”
    “I played sixteen years poorly.” “The most important part of your managing strategy is handling pitchers.”
    Tony talks about his first day managing AA ball in 1978. A man named Paul Richards was a great teacher there. Richards told the people at the introduction banquet, “If you’ve heard the worst players make the best managers, this young man has a chance.” La Russa lost his first game.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    Questions
    1. The worst ump call you have ever seen
    a. “How do you pick from thousands?” 1998 Mark McGwire got ejected when he was trying for his 51st homerun. La Russa then also got ejected. La Russa felt the fans who had gathered to see Big Mac hit didn’t deserve to see him tossed instead. That Sunday Jack Buck said Cardinal fans were better than to boo the ump. The ump got a standing ovation.
    2. “What is it that called you to be a baseball fan?”
    a. La Russa says his father used to take him to Spring Training and he would either see the Reds, Cubs, Cardinals, or Yankees. “Mickey Mantle did it for me.”
    3. “How important is having the players homegrown.”
    a. “It’s always been the Cardinals style, but it’s really smart now.” “Invest in your guys.” “Mix in. A trade here and there, or a free agent.” “The Cardinals have a style of play (effort to reward the fans, execution), they’ve been doing since the 1930s.” (You have to ask) “Will he be good in a Cardinals uniform?” “The Cardinals beat more talented taems because the Cardinals show up everyday.” “It’s not magic, just the Cardinal way.”
    4. “How old is Albert Pujols, really?”
    a. “Whatever age he says he is, he is.” “Don’t blame him. Don’t blame the Cardinals. Blame the system.”
    5. Your favorite memories of managing
    a. “Harry Caray said the reason I was there is Bill Veeck was too cheap to hire a real manager.” La Russa talks about the 1983 White Sox, the Oakland years, 2011. “2011 we won this great pennant because we were a team.” 2004 winning the pennant was amazing. 2006 was really special, getting to shake Bob Gibson’s hand.
    6. Fan asks advice about getting people enthusiastic about a club
    a. “Get the right people.” “Look at yourself.” “Could you do a better job of persuading.” “Persuade them to pay attention.” Bill Walsh of the 49ers told La Russa to get his players to “co-sign the message.” You need a core group of leaders. “Spring Training the players hear from family, friends, and agents: ‘get yours.’” “You have to convince the players to join the team.”
    7. What was your favorite moment with the Cardinals off of the field?
    a. “Easy. The 2006 World Series parade.” La Russa explains that in 1989 they did not have a parade after the earthquake. So the 2006 parade was his first. He still gets Goosebumps.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    8. Most underrated player
    a. David Eckstein. “Eckstein is not a good moneyball player.” He comments on David’s toughness. “Adequate-at-best talent.” Aaron Miles was the same way.
    9. Have you given advice to Matheny? What is your best memory overall?
    a. “In 1996 I had a really good coaching staff and a wonderful front office.” Mike, Daryl Kile, Edmonds, and Renteria got things turned in the right direction in 2000. “Last year I knew I was done.” “We had great guts.” “We had a good run.” The 2011 season was a surprise to Tony also. La Russa talks about the bullpen phone debacle. “Lance, what are you doing here?” “Most embarrassing trip I’ve ever made to the mound.” “Game 6 we made the errors, we were behind, we made that comeback. It was beautiful.” “They believed we had a shot. It was just the corniest thing.” La Russa at the time thought about the 1980 Miracle on Ice.
    10. Another question about Matheny
    a. La Russa has always really liked Matheny. He said he always wished Matheny would marry one of his daughters. “Mike is a very conscientious guy.” “There are times the movies you make are not gonna work.” “Don’t go nuts with what happens.”
    11. How do you think Matheny did this year?
    a. “I would give him an A+” “Experience will teach him.” La Russa reveals he didn’t give a lot of input on the managerial decision.
    12. A question asks about the 2010 brawl
    a. La Russa throws his water bottle across the stage
    b. La Russa said his response to this was off the record and he had them turn the camera off. I won't go into details here. Let's just say he hates the Reds and blames them for the brawl.
    13. How did it feel having the World Series happen in your last year?
    a. “I was so wrapped up in what was happening that I didn’t think about it much.” “I was lucky to finish that way.”

The end.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    That guy who messaged me on Facebook I think wants to ask me out, though he hasn't done it yet. I have absolutely zero interest in him. I don't date much, but I also won't date just anybody. I have a hard time dating because usually the guys who ask me out I have no interest in or there's just not enough interest. My sister said she had the same problem for a while but she's with a wonderful guy now. Maybe I just have to be patient. I'd rather be alone than date just for the sake of dating.

It's possible this guy isn't going to ask me out, but it seems like he's building up to it. He also gave me his number to text him which I am not going to do. If he does ask me out I'll let him down easy.

I don't really want a relationship right now because I've got family stuff going on and I want to be accountable just to myself. It just gets annoying when you get ignored a lot. I think that right guy will come along at some point, and I'm in no hurry. I guess more quality attention is better than being hit on all the time.

Somehow I just seem to attract the guys I have no interest in. I'm not seeking a relationship, though.
    Last edited by redbird89; 11-09-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    @ Redbird, thank you for sharing.

I chuckled out loud several times

12. A question asks about the 2010 brawl
    a. La Russa throws his water bottle across the stage
    b. La Russa said his response to this was off the record and he had them turn the camera off. I won't go into details here. Let's just say he hates the Reds and blames them for the brawl.

I'm personally shocked by this.

vCash
    please go into detail about what Tony said about the Reds ray:
    Favorite fighters:
    Ian McCall, Brian Bowles, Chan Sung Jung, Nate Diaz, Nick Diaz, Dan Hardy, Duane Ludwig, Mike Pierce, Rick Story, Jake Ellenberger, Wanderlei Silva, Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen, Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Rashad Evans, Phil Davis, Shane Carwin, Gabriel Gonzaga

Page 46 of 75 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast