Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Spring Training thread

The offseason thread is still there. I just unstickied it. Feel free to continue posting there as well.

Cardinals get packing for spring home in Jupiter
    ST. LOUIS -- A day after St. Louis was blanketed with a few inches of snow, signs of spring were in full bloom down in the basement of Busch Stadium.

Cardinals head equipment manager Rip Rowan and more than a dozen assistants were spending Monday loading up the first of two 52-foot tractor trailer trucks that will depart for Jupiter, Fla., on Tuesday afternoon. Inside of them will be all of the equipment necessary for the Cardinals to run seven weeks of Spring Training.

While some items - including most of the players' bats - will be shipped directly to the Cardinals' spring complex, the majority of the equipment will be transported in these trucks. That includes 5,400 practice baseballs and another 5,400 game balls.

"It's quite a bit of stuff," said Rowan, who is in his 35th year with the organization. "You basically take everything you have here in St. Louis down there to be set up in that clubhouse, including all the items in the kitchen."

Members of the organization who live in the St. Louis area have dropped off luggage, golf clubs and bicycles that will also make the approximately 1,135-mile trek to southern Florida.

Rowan and the other clubhouse assistants will begin unloading the two trucks in Jupiter on Thursday morning. It will take about half a day to get everything off and another few days to get the clubhouse completely set up.

That timeframe will allow for everything to be properly in place by the time camp opens next week. The Cardinals' pitchers and catchers participating in Major League camp must report no later than next Monday, with their first workout scheduled for the following day. The first full-squad workout will take place on Feb. 15.
    http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/new...84790&c_id=stl

Spring Training schedule
    Feb 11 Pitchers and catchers report
    Feb 14 Full squad reports

February
    23 @ Marlins 12:05 pm CST
    24 vs Red Sox 12:05 pm CST | 1:05 pm EST
    25 vs Astros 12:05 pm CST | 1:05 pm EST
    26 @ Red Sox 12:35 pm CST | 1:35 pm EST
    27 @ Mets 12:10 pm CST | 1:10 pm EST
    28 vs Marlins 12:05 pm CST | 1:05 pm EST

March
    1 @ Astros 12:05 pm CST | 1:05 pm EST
    2 vs Nationals 12:05 pm CST | 1:05 pm EST
    3 @ Nationals 12:05 pm CST | 1:05 pm EST
    4 vs Twins 12:05 pm CST | 1:05 pm EST
    6 vs Marlins 12:05 pm CST | 1:05 pm EST
    7 vs Yankees 12:05 pm CST | 1:05 pm EST
    8 @ Nationals 12:05 pm CST | 1:05 pm EST
    9 @ Marlins (SS) 12:05 pm CST | 1:05 pm EST
    10 vs Mets 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    11 @ Yankees 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    12 @ Braves 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    14 vs Braves 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    15 vs Nationals 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    16 vs Tigers 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    17 @ Marlins 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    18 vs Mets 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    19 vs Marlins 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    21 @ Mets 12:10 pm CDT | 1:10 pm EDT
    22 @ Astros 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    23 @ Marlins 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    24 vs Mets (SS) 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    25 @ Twins 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    26 @ Mets 12:10 pm CDT | 1:10 pm EDT
    27 vs Nationals (SS) 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    28 vs Marlins 12:05 pm CDT | 1:05 pm EDT
    29 @ Mets 11:10 am CDT | 12:10 pm EDT

Derrick Goold's Bird Land
    about an hour ago
    Good morning, from Jupiter.

http://www.facebook.com/BirdLandPD
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash

vCash
    I'll throw out a few predictions for Spring Training.

1. Miller and Lynn both pitch very well and clinch down their spots in the rotation.

2. Matt Carpenter plays a very solid 2B and wins the 2B job

3. 1 player on our team will get injured and it will be a nagging injury that bothers them all year.

4. 1 unexpected player will make a push to make the team out of spring training.

5. Tavares gets a lot of playing time before being a late cut after a great spring.

vCash
    ^3... DING DING DING!!!!

1/5 correct 30 minutes into your estimate lol

vCash
    of course it's the one I really wanted to be wrong about lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    I'll throw out a few predictions for Spring Training.

1. Miller and Lynn both pitch very well and clinch down their spots in the rotation.

2. Matt Carpenter plays a very solid 2B and wins the 2B job

3. 1 player on our team will get injured and it will be a nagging injury that bothers them all year.

4. 1 unexpected player will make a push to make the team out of spring training.

5. Tavares gets a lot of playing time before being a late cut after a great spring.
    1. I believe will happen

2. I am betting Descalso gets the most playing time at second this year. With Carpenter getting some innings (i.e. less than 200)

3. I hope not, but I can see it. Beltran very likely, maybe Freese

4. I can see John Gast fitting that profile.

5. yup, 100% yes.

vCash
    I read some where that Carps career might be done? Can anyone confirm this?
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I read some where that Carps career might be done? Can anyone confirm this?
    Check the forum about cardinals 1:30 press conference. Basically yes, it's true.

vCash
    Damn, I'm always late to the party...well that kind blows, but I kind of expected it also
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    1. I believe will happen

2. I am betting Descalso gets the most playing time at second this year. With Carpenter getting some innings (i.e. less than 200)

5. yup, 100% yes.
    I think Descalso's gonna get a lot of time at 2B. I think it's gonna depend on injuries. If Freese and Craig stay healthy for most of the year (obviously small stuff will happen, just no major) then I think that carpenter could get around 300 at bats at 2B. If they have major injuries he won't be close to 300 because he will be needed on the corners.

And I was thinking Furcal on 3 haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    1. I believe will happen

5. yup, 100% yes.
    It just wouldnt be a Cards ST without a season ending injury to a starting pitcher.

vCash
    It isn't like its something that happens every year! Carps just been hampered with injuries for a few years now. Guys tough just can't play and pitch through everything. I'm guessing hell hang it up after consulting with doctors, just because he wants to have basically normal functioning in his life after baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stlfan544 View Post
    It isn't like its something that happens every year! Carps just been hampered with injuries for a few years now. Guys tough just can't play and pitch through everything. I'm guessing hell hang it up after consulting with doctors, just because he wants to have basically normal functioning in his life after baseball.
    I sure hope he hangs them up and doesn't "try" and come back just so he can steal 12 million more dollars

vCash
    JUPITER, Fla. • For the first time since pitcher Josh Hancock died in an automobile accident early in the 2007 season, the Cardinals will issue his No. 32 to an active player at spring training.

Rob Johnson, a catcher who was signed to offer depth at the position for Class AAA Memphis, has been given 32. He was told of the number's previous owner before selecting it, and its use was done with the approval of the front office. Hancock's No. 32 was not officially retired, but taken out of circulation after his death. The black medallion with his number in white continues to appear in a few places at the ballpark.

The Cardinals have run into something of a numbers crunch when it comes to jerseys, a challenge each spring for the equipment managers.
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...cIdck.facebook
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    kinda knew it would happen at some point

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast