Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Former Cowboys DB Alan Ball is on Survivor

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...926-story.html

Pretty interesting. I watched the first episode last night and Ball seems like he may have some issues with CTE. Dude is really crazy.

Yeah, he doesn't seem like a very good player. I didn't understand his strategy. He just made himself a target and made people in his alliance not trust him. He was in the catbird seat...he could have coasted a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Yeah, he doesn't seem like a very good player. I didn't understand his strategy. He just made himself a target and made people in his alliance not trust him. He was in the catbird seat...he could have coasted a long time.
    Yeah he easily could have coasted a long time because he obviously is a physical asset. All he had to do was make it to the merge and he could have dominated the physical game possibly. With how he is playing, I don't see him making it past two or three votes if he is lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Yeah he easily could have coasted a long time because he obviously is a physical asset. All he had to do was make it to the merge and he could have dominated the physical game possibly. With how he is playing, I don't see him making it past two or three votes if he is lucky.
    At first, I wasn't sure which Alan from the NFL he was. I guess I didn't remember him without his helmet. He didn't even cultivate that alliance, it just fell into his lap. Strangely, he was under the radar as no one was gunning for him....and with a 4 person alliance, you can coast a long time especially if people do not perceive you as game strategist which he didn't appear to be. I see this in almost every season of survivor, a person in comfortably to go far, but they just blow it up with decisions that defy logic. You would think a pro NFL player would be savvier than that. Also, I think the groups heroes, healers and hustlers is pretty misleading. How is a probation officer a healer? Has the show met a probation officer? They are definitely not healers. The entire hero group do not seem to be that heroic.

By the way, I can't wait to see him in any kind of super physical one on one challenges they sometimes have like tug of war, water volleyball, wrestling...he would kill those guys. How are you going to beat an ex NFL safety?

I wasn't sure who he was either, but when I looked it up it came back to me pretty quickly. I always liked him alright as a player for us, he was also decent for Chicago for a couple of seasons IIRC.

I imagine he will absolutely kill the physical challenges where strength is the most important thing. He isn't even officially retired from the NFL yet so he is still in peak physical condition. That's hard to compete with. He may struggle with puzzles, swimming and other tasks like that where brute strength doesn't necessarily help.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...926-story.html

Pretty interesting. I watched the first episode last night and Ball seems like he may have some issues with CTE. Dude is really crazy.
    Is that who that is? I saw the show too but didn't catch his name. Just saw where he said he played in the NFL. He plays like he's never seen the show before. He's way too aggressive and then blew up his own alliance. The first time his team has to go to jury he'll get voted out. Dude is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Is that who that is? I saw the show too but didn't catch his name. Just saw where he said he played in the NFL. He plays like he's never seen the show before. He's way too aggressive and then blew up his own alliance. The first time his team has to go to jury he'll get voted out. Dude is nuts.
    The worst move you can make in the game is to make others not trust you. Every season, contestants always seem to not realize this or can't control their very nature even if they do. He can survive if someone else puts a target on themselves and the attention is diverted. I think Alan was trying to pin the paranoia on that couple, but made himself look crazy in the process. Bad game play.

The worst move you can make in the game is to make others not trust you. Every season, contestants always seem to not realize this or can't control their very nature even if they do. He can survive if someone else puts a target on themselves and the attention is diverted. I think Alan was trying to pin the paranoia on that couple, but made himself look crazy in the process. Bad game play.
    Yup very bad game play. Smart pro athletes tend to go far in this game as long and they don't F themselves. There's still tim for Ball but he needs to get his head out of his ***.

Yup very bad game play. Smart pro athletes tend to go far in this game as long and they don't F themselves. There's still tim for Ball but he needs to get his head out of his ***.
    Of course he could play so badly, that his tribemates think they can take him to a jury like in some past seasons. I wonder which Cowboys would be really good at this game. Maybe, Dak, Romo, Sean Lee and Witten for likeability. Irvin because he can relate to people. Past pro athletes have had mixed results - Brad (forgot his last name) was a little overly aggressive kind of like Alan, though not as crazy, but he pulled that act mid way through the season. Scott Pollard behaved like a villain. The ones I've seen so far think they can just bully there way--I guess they watch and somehow think that's the strategy, when past guys that did that were very good at reading people. Jimmy Johnson was super nice but I think they just didn't want a multi millionaire winning so they booted him. Scott Pollard and Brad were not the most dominant physical player though...there was always an Ozzy like player that was more nimble. Alan, since he's a safety that's played recently might buck that trend.

Of course he could play so badly, that his tribemates think they can take him to a jury like in some past seasons. I wonder which Cowboys would be really good at this game. Maybe, Dak, Romo, Sean Lee and Witten for likeability. Irvin because he can relate to people. Past pro athletes have had mixed results - Brad (forgot his last name) was a little overly aggressive kind of like Alan, though not as crazy, but he pulled that act mid way through the season. Scott Pollard behaved like a villain. The ones I've seen so far think they can just bully there way--I guess they watch and somehow think that's the strategy, when past guys that did that were very good at reading people. Jimmy Johnson was super nice but I think they just didn't want a multi millionaire winning so they booted him. Scott Pollard and Brad were not the most dominant physical player though...there was always an Ozzy like player that was more nimble. Alan, since he's a safety that's played recently might buck that trend.
    Brad Culpepper kept winning immunity and made his way to final 2 last year. Pollard lasted much longer than I thought he would. I thought for sure that they would know immediately that he was a former NBA player and vote him out early. He just had a good alliance and stuck with them. Jimmy I think was just too old for Survivor, in addition to already being a millionaire. He wasn't good at the challenges so they had to vote him out. It's going to be really interesting to see how far Ball can go in this game.

Brad Culpepper kept winning immunity and made his way to final 2 last year. Pollard lasted much longer than I thought he would. I thought for sure that they would know immediately that he was a former NBA player and vote him out early. He just had a good alliance and stuck with them. Jimmy I think was just too old for Survivor, in addition to already being a millionaire. He wasn't good at the challenges so they had to vote him out. It's going to be really interesting to see how far Ball can go in this game.
    Yeah it'll be really interesting. If he makes it to the individual challenges he'll have a shot presumably but if he keeps going after everyone for no reason (especially his alliance members) then there is no way he'll make it that far.

Yeah it'll be really interesting. If he makes it to the individual challenges he'll have a shot presumably but if he keeps going after everyone for no reason (especially his alliance members) then there is no way he'll make it that far.
    What surprised me was that sometimes the non-athletes ended up doing way better than the athletes. Like Ozzy and Malcolm were actually the dominant ones in the group challenges. It was only when the physical threats like Ozzy and Malcolm were eliminated, it left Brad Culpepper as the remaining alpha male, where he could dominate Cirie, Tai, Sarah, Aubry, etc---which were women and older guys. Those non-athletes must be super athletic to get a leg up on the athletes. But, I think Alan Ball, since he plays a safety, one of the most athletic positions on the field, he'd have both athleticism and strength. Ozzy and Malcolm weren't always the strongest guys, but they were the most athletic, fastest and most endurance.

What surprised me was that sometimes the non-athletes ended up doing way better than the athletes. Like Ozzy and Malcolm were actually the dominant ones in the group challenges. It was only when the physical threats like Ozzy and Malcolm were eliminated, it left Brad Culpepper as the remaining alpha male, where he could dominate Cirie, Tai, Sarah, Aubry, etc---which were women and older guys. Those non-athletes must be super athletic to get a leg up on the athletes. But, I think Alan Ball, since he plays a safety, one of the most athletic positions on the field, he'd have both athleticism and strength. Ozzy and Malcolm weren't always the strongest guys, but they were the most athletic, fastest and most endurance.
    Yeah being really strong only helps you in a few challenges really. Sometimes it requires just a lot of endurance and balance.

Yeah being really strong only helps you in a few challenges really. Sometimes it requires just a lot of endurance and balance.
    These guys are doing it on very little food, sleep, no showers and being paranoid of being voted off. Also, those challenges look really hard because you can't study them ahead of time. Football and basketball, we all know the rules. I saw Ozzy figure things out in a split second and come up with solutions that didn't occur to me (or the others)....it's too bad he never won because he's really good at those challenges. But, no one wants to let him survive far into the merge because he can just win the rest of the way. He only lost one challenge and that was the one he was voted out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast