Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Week 5: Dallas Cowboys (2-2) vs. Green Bay Packers (3-1)

Code:
    Dallas Cowboys VS Green Bay Packers
    10/8/2017 4:25 PM EST
    AT&T Stadium

Ok, this week is a big one! Losing to the Rams set us off course a little bit. We needed to beat them because of the difficulty of our remaining schedule. The Packers are 3-1, but they've been very beatable so far this year. We need to control the clock and our defense needs to be able to get off of the field. We haven't have a turnover by our defense in two weeks, they need to make some plays.

Irving returns this week, he should provide a boost for us and hopefully he can make a similar impact to what he did last year against the Pack in the regular season.

Offensively, Dak needs to put together a complete game. He hasn't done that yet this year. Last week he finally avoided a slow start but then, for whatever reason, he had a pretty pedestrian second half. He and Dez also need to get on the same page. Let's hope Dak can be a bit more accurate. One other thing offensively I am looking for is for Beasley to get involved. He is such a good weapon, we need to be able to use him. JG and Linehan need to make that happen.

This will be a tough one and our record against elite QBs is not great, especially with Sean Lee probably not playing again. I'm thinking we fall to 2-3.

PREDICTION: Packers, 31-28.

They need to mix it up a little more on offense. We had some success when we were doing some bootlegs, etc. that kept the defense on their heels. Maybe, move Elliott around more and pass it to him more often. David Irving will help a lot. One of the reasons the Patriot defense isn't as good this year is because of their pass rush. The O line needs to re-establish their dominance. They've been a little spotty this year.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    They need to mix it up a little more on offense. We had some success when we were doing some bootlegs, etc. that kept the defense on their heels. Maybe, move Elliott around more and pass it to him more often. David Irving will help a lot. One of the reasons the Patriot defense isn't as good this year is because of their pass rush. The O line needs to re-establish their dominance. They've been a little spotty this year.
    I agree 100% about moving Dak around more. Obviously Iíd like to see more bootlegs but one of the strengths of Fredrick/Martin/Collins is their ability to pull. So why not call a play where they have a moving pocket. Dak throws a great ball when he on the run, so why not move the protection for him.

I also agree that Zeke needs to be more involved in the passing game. Heís every bit the RB Gurley or Bell are and there is no reason he shouldnít get at least 5 targets a game.

As for the defense, I have to admit Iím not too optimistic about this game. If the Cowboys arenít able to generate a pass rush Rodgers will absolutely pick them apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I agree 100% about moving Dak around more. Obviously Iíd like to see more bootlegs but one of the strengths of Fredrick/Martin/Collins is their ability to pull. So why not call a play where they have a moving pocket. Dak throws a great ball when he on the run, so why not move the protection for him.

I also agree that Zeke needs to be more involved in the passing game. Heís every bit the RB Gurley or Bell are and there is no reason he shouldnít get at least 5 targets a game.

As for the defense, I have to admit Iím not too optimistic about this game. If the Cowboys arenít able to generate a pass rush Rodgers will absolutely pick them apart.
    Very good points. Dak might be better on the run---it's not so much that he isn't good in the pocket, he is....it's just that the Cowboys are a little bit more predictable in the pocket--we've depended too much on asserting dominance with our line and smart passing. Opposing coaches have worked hard in the game film room to counteract this and poke at our weaknesses. So, that's why the gap has narrowed. So far, we haven't beaten a team with a winning record. Moving around Dak more just puts defenses on their heels because they have to worry about so many things and they most likely would lose their discipline and be out of position. Watching how the Chiefs use Kareem Hunt, who is literally all over the filed, catching the ball, running, etc. Zeke would be much more destructive if defenses have to locate him.

Pretty much by now, all of us know what the Cowboys weaknesses are, but this is where the coaching staff have to work overtime. The Rams coaching really made a huge difference this year from last year. Their new coach this year has put some pretty innovative plays. They couldn't even run the ball last year and Goff had trouble hitting receivers. This year, they're tops in many statistical categories. I wouldn't mind if the coaching staff came up with more deceptive plays. An analyst pointed out that it was hard to beat the Patriots on a regular basis because Bellichek never had the same game plan. I just think the Cowboys need to make the Packers do not get too big of an early lead. Irving needs to be a destructive force...if he and DLawrence can combine for a disruption, it will go along way. I just wish Sean Lee would play. He erases a lot of mistakes that goes unnoticed until he's not in the game, suddenly the floodgates open when he's not there.

Very good points. Dak might be better on the run---it's not so much that he isn't good in the pocket, he is....it's just that the Cowboys are a little bit more predictable in the pocket--we've depended too much on asserting dominance with our line and smart passing. Opposing coaches have worked hard in the game film room to counteract this and poke at our weaknesses. So, that's why the gap has narrowed. So far, we haven't beaten a team with a winning record. Moving around Dak more just puts defenses on their heels because they have to worry about so many things and they most likely would lose their discipline and be out of position. Watching how the Chiefs use Kareem Hunt, who is literally all over the filed, catching the ball, running, etc. Zeke would be much more destructive if defenses have to locate him.

Pretty much by now, all of us know what the Cowboys weaknesses are, but this is where the coaching staff have to work overtime. The Rams coaching really made a huge difference this year from last year. Their new coach this year has put some pretty innovative plays. They couldn't even run the ball last year and Goff had trouble hitting receivers. This year, they're tops in many statistical categories. I wouldn't mind if the coaching staff came up with more deceptive plays. An analyst pointed out that it was hard to beat the Patriots on a regular basis because Bellichek never had the same game plan. I just think the Cowboys need to make the Packers do not get too big of an early lead. Irving needs to be a destructive force...if he and DLawrence can combine for a disruption, it will go along way. I just wish Sean Lee would play. He erases a lot of mistakes that goes unnoticed until he's not in the game, suddenly the floodgates open when he's not there.
    It would be nice for Lee to play this weekend but I'm ok with him sitting it out since we have the Bye week right after this game. There is so much of the season left that I wouldn't want him to make it worse for a week 5 game.

I am also comfortable with him not playing this week because Hitchens returns this week. Hitchens can help Smith get off of the field a little bit more, which will be good as he is still working his way back.

The Cowboys HAVE to keep from being in 3rd and long. That has killed them all year. They have to win on 1st down. I believe they are one of the worst teams in the NFL this year in converting 3rd downs. Thatís because theyíve consistently been in 3rd and long. Their best defense against Aaron Rodgers is to keep him off the field. If they continuously are going 3 and out and allow the Packers to control the TOP itís going to be a long day for us.

Having Lee play would help but for the sake of his health for the rest of the season he really should sit this week.

https://twitter.com/fishsports/statu...77270353768448

Mamba and Mr. B. Agreed. I'd rather he sit and stay healthy for the full season. It's just a wish because he's probably the most important guy on defense. A lot of the break downs on defense happens when Sean Lee isn't there to erase them. Lee isn't perfect, but he makes more good plays than bad. Hitchens will help alot....I always thought that Hitchens would be missed on defense more than people expect just because of his veteran experience. David Irving was a beast when he played against the Packers, so I hope he and DLawrence can have their most disruptive games tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    The Cowboys HAVE to keep from being in 3rd and long. That has killed them all year. They have to win on 1st down. I believe they are one of the worst teams in the NFL this year in converting 3rd downs. Thatís because theyíve consistently been in 3rd and long. Their best defense against Aaron Rodgers is to keep him off the field. If they continuously are going 3 and out and allow the Packers to control the TOP itís going to be a long day for us.
    Yeah, a big reason for that is because we become very predictable on 3rd and long. We don't have Joe Montanna back there that can just make those miracle plays consistently. Dak shows flashes, but he's only in his 2nd year. On 1st downs, it's harder for defenses to defend because Zeke can run it or Dak can go on a bootleg, so they have to defend more parts of the field. Probably why we've seen success when the coaching staff mixes it up and have a lot of bootlegs to keep defenses from zeroing in on Zeke. We were doing a fine job until Ryan Switzer happened, then suddenly the Cowboys were forced to play a return serve type of game. They are better at just controlling it from the get go like last year. David Irving and DLawrence have to come up big. I thought when we were able to rush 3, it made our defense harder to move on. That was when DLawrence was getting to the QB or getting close on almost every play.

I think it might take Irving a couple weeks to get back in football shape. We need him to make an impact immediately but donít be surprised if he doesnít. Really the same can be said about Hitchens too.

Rodgers scares the **** out of me. As much as it kills me to say, I don't see any way we win this game unless the offense puts 50 points on the board. With Romo that might have happened, but I don't think Dak is able to do that (yet).

Wow, Dak putting the team on his back!

The allas Cowboys with no D are back. This pathetic non defense has the potential to be the worst defense in the history of the NFL

Marinelli invented a new defense. He dumped the bend, don't break and started a bend, then break defense

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast