Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Rams Free Agent & Trade Ideas Thread VII

Continued

I'm very sad to see Huff gone .. three years for 6 Million??! I woulda done that in a heart beat.

GO METS; RAMS; ISLES; KNICKS; NOTRE DAME; UCONN!; AC Milan!

The One and Only "LEGATRON"

Quote Originally Posted by NDMets57 View Post
    I'm very sad to see Huff gone .. three years for 6 Million??! I woulda done that in a heart beat.
    Yeah, kinda depresses me too. I think we'll get two safeties in the draft.

but to continue the Warmack discussion, bda...

Long is not okay/just good at multiple positions. He's above average at multiple positions with the potential to be even better than that. That's why I want him. if he was okay/just good, he wouldn't be considered a second rounder.
    http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/gRAnxGFouW5bgj4RR576xA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD0zNDQ7cT04NTt3PTUxMg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2013-04-26T015157Z_1049109136_GM1E94Q0RAB01_RTRMADP_3_NFL-DRAFT.JPG

^^^^ Todd Gurley. Go Rams!

"You have decisions to make and don't be scared to get what you want."

Les Snead

I consider above average "just good."

It's not great, it's good. Warmack has the potential to be great from day one.

I prefer a guy who can be dominant, possibly one of the league's best at one position over a guy that's above average at a couple, is what I'm saying. Players that can play multiple positions generally tend to be good at those multiple positions, but never great(/dominant) at any one of them.
    Last edited by bda28; 03-27-2013 at 04:11 PM.

i agree with bda, id rather have warmack now if we can. this team and sam dont have time for a project to develop
    LAKERS/RAMS/DODGERS/UCLA/MAN U/MEXICO
    Shut it down. Let's go home.

Quote Originally Posted by bda28 View Post
    I consider above average "just good."

It's not great, it's good. Warmack has the potential to be great from day one.

I prefer a guy who can be dominant, possibly one of the league's best at one position over a guy that's above average at a couple, is what I'm saying. Players that can play multiple positions generally tend to be good at those multiple positions, but never great(/dominant) at any one of them.
    I understand and that's fine. But Long has potential and upside to be elite at guard or tackle on the line. Like I said, he hasn't had much experience.

That said, doesn't really matter what we think. Jeff Fisher likes versatile linemen and, therefore, he's on my side.
    http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/gRAnxGFouW5bgj4RR576xA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD0zNDQ7cT04NTt3PTUxMg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2013-04-26T015157Z_1049109136_GM1E94Q0RAB01_RTRMADP_3_NFL-DRAFT.JPG

Les Snead

Quote Originally Posted by cg_la00 View Post
    i agree with bda, id rather have warmack now if we can. this team and sam dont have time for a project to develop
    he doesn't need "developing." He's already a really good guard.

All of you are looking at Long in a wrong light. He's not "good" at any position and he doesn't "need developing."

He's already a very good guard. He has the potential to be a very good tackle, which we don't need at the moment. But in an emergency situation, he can be there to help.

I understand where you all are coming from with Warmack. He's definitely elite. But let's not throw Long under the bus with wrong statements. That's like me saying Peyton Manning is "OK" because I don't like him.

Les Snead

How can u say that long doesn't need developing when he's only played o-line one year? Lets be real here, he cannot just go out there and take on nfl DT's at guard right off the bat, right now we need a proven guard to step right in. If Dahl or saffold leave next year then we can address that position the following year

Maybe it's just me, but I feel Long's "potential" has a tad bit to do with his last name than anything else?

I mean, I wouldn't mind ending up with him anyway, but I'm just saying. I severely doubt that he'd be talked about as a second rounder if his brother and father weren't as good as they are/were.

I'm with BDA on this one. I think if you feel you can guarantee a kid is gonna be a stud you take him. Why take a risky player in the first instead of Warmack so you can wait to draft a raw player like Long who is also risk and could maybe be pretty good, but never great? I agree that if his name weren't Long, no one would be begging for him right now.

GO METS; RAMS; ISLES; KNICKS; NOTRE DAME; UCONN!; AC Milan!

The One and Only "LEGATRON"

Quote Originally Posted by cg_la00 View Post
    Lets be real here, he cannot just go out there and take on nfl DT's at guard right off the bat.
    yes, he can. Go watch footage. He is well worthy of his spot as the third best guard in the draft.

and to Mets and bda, name plays a factor, I don't disagree with both of you. But name or no name, he's a second rounder. He is really good at guard and deserves his position right now. His upside skews it a bit, too, but I don't see the problem with that.

Warmack = guard we plug in right away
    Long = guard we plug in right away WITH potential for more.

I have this really pessimistic image in my head of both Jake Long and Saffold going down mid-season (not impossible, especially considering history). I would panic way less knowing we have a competent LT behind them in Long.

Besides, fact of the matter is, we have more capable guards on this roster than tackles. So we might not even draft a guard and could go with a tackle instead. But if we do go with a guard, I think Fisher would draft someone capable of playing both guard and tackle (Long) over just guard.

Les Snead

Quote Originally Posted by rabueed View Post
    yes, he can. Go watch footage. He is well worthy of his spot as the third best guard in the draft.

and to Mets and bda, name plays a factor, I don't disagree with both of you. But name or no name, he's a second rounder. He is really good at guard and deserves his position right now. His upside skews it a bit, too, but I don't see the problem with that.

Warmack = guard we plug in right away
    Long = guard we plug in right away WITH potential for more.

I have this really pessimistic image in my head of both Jake Long and Saffold going down mid-season (not impossible, especially considering history). I would panic way less knowing we have a competent LT behind them in Long.

Besides, fact of the matter is, we have more capable guards on this roster than tackles. So we might not even draft a guard and could go with a tackle instead. But if we do go with a guard, I think Fisher would draft someone capable of playing both guard and tackle (Long) over just guard.
    You do realize that Walterfootball has Long only going as the 5th guard prospect in the draft? Behind Fluker (G/T) who's projected to go to us at 22 (meh), and Warford (G). So it's not clear that Long is the third prospect as you state. At best he's in a 2nd tier behind Warmack/Cooper.

I really want either Warmack or Cooper. Part of me is leaning a little more towards Cooper because he plays C as well - and Wells has been a bit injury prone. Unfortunately - though many NFL scouts went to his pro-day, I haven't heard of any Rams in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by PolloLoco View Post
    You do realize that Walterfootball has Long only going as the 5th guard prospect in the draft? Behind Fluker (G/T) who's projected to go to us at 22 (meh), and Warford (G). So it's not clear that Long is the third prospect as you state. At best he's in a 2nd tier behind Warmack/Cooper.

I really want either Warmack or Cooper. Part of me is leaning a little more towards Cooper because he plays C as well - and Wells has been a bit injury prone. Unfortunately - though many NFL scouts went to his pro-day, I haven't heard of any Rams in attendance.
    I consider Fluker a tackle, like many others. "A mauler at right tackle," that's all I read. I've yet to have seen him listed as a guard anywhere, but even if he is, 2nd tier guards are still capable of starting. Long can start right away, no question. The potential for more is very intriguing, especially since with Jake Long, Saffold, Wells, and Dahl on the line, Long will fit right in and grow.

And walterfootball isn't the be-all end-all on prospects. Lot of controversy out there between positions and #'s and such. I could go find you a few reputable sites that list Long at #3 as well. Thing is, I think I could find more sources that say Long is #3 then you could find otherwise. So majority is clear, I think. Look at Joeckel and Fisher. Sure, some people have Fisher ahead of him, but majority say Joeckel is #1. Prime example.

That said, I wouldn't mind Cooper because he plays center as well. I've stated that several times, it would actually be comforting knowing we got someone behind Wells with Turner gone. Same reason I want Long, back up our injury-prone tackles.

I just REALLY don't want Warmack.
    Last edited by rabueed; 03-28-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Les Snead

An I lost? Isn't this the free agent/trade thread??

rabueed started it

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast