Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

vCash

Recipe Thread

I was told to put this in the GD forum, so if you don't like it, well sorry.

Shepard's Pie:

Servings: 4-6 (I'm bad with servings, I ate this in two. But realistically, it's over 4).

- Use a big pot and brown off a pound of ground beef. Salt and pepper it before. 80/20 works best, but I used 95/5.
    - Once browned, take meat out and strain. Keep the remaining drippings in the pot. Chop three carrots and about 1/4 of a white onion (or use pearl onion), and sautee in the pot. Throw some seasonings in there, if you desire.
    - Meanwhile, get another pot of beef base and water going. I made 4 1/2 cups worth. Throw some garlic in there. On the side, make a reux and combine when ready, making a gravy.
    - When the veggies are soft, throw the ground beef back in. Throw some Worcestshire sauce in there, as much as desired (more than you think). Let it cook for a few minutes.
    - When the gravy is done, combine in with the beef/veggie mixture, and heat on low.
    - At the very end, throw in as many frozen peas as desired.
    - You can fill up individual plates with the pie and bake, or bake in a full pan.
    - Cover with mashed potatoes (boil probably 5 medium potatoes, and mash up with milk, salt, pepper and butter).
    - Throw some cheddar cheese on the top for a little flavor, texture, and color.
    - Bake at 350 until done.
    Last edited by Driven; 01-19-2012 at 10:19 AM.

vCash
    I'm going to try this recipe but with ground lamb. I have a bunch of it, and a great chef I know said use it in a shepards pie. Never have done it, and this recipe looks good.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    Sheppard's Pie is supposed to be used with lamb. I worked at an Irish Pub a year ago, a pretty successful one, that made it with Ground Beef. It tasted great. I cooked there for a little while, and this was thre recipe we used.

I guessed with the amount of carrots, onions, broth, etc. I made it for the first time at home two days, and it turned out great. It's important to get a good consistency. Not too soupy, but not completely meat, either.
    really, the consistency is the only way to screw this up. Id say just add the gravy in a little at a time until it looks good.

Don't go easy on the Worceshire sauce. We would make it in 40 pound batches (I think), and used gallons of it. We also used pearl onions.
    Last edited by Driven; 01-19-2012 at 10:34 AM.

vCash
    white bean chili.

Santa Fe Chicken Chili
    2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into cubes
    4 medium sweet red peppers diced
    4 garlic cloves minced
    2 large onions chopped
    C oil
    3 Tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp ground cumin
    tsp cayenne pepper
    28 oz diced tomatoes, un-drained
    28 oz chicken stock
    30 oz white beans, rinsed and drained
    12 oz salsa
    10-12 oz frozen corn
    tsp salt

Brown chicken in oil in a large pot
    Place the rest of the ingredients into the pot, cover and bring to a boil
    Reduce to simmer for 1 hour and taste. Add seasoning to taste.
    You may substitute red kidney beans for the while beaks for a different flavor. If kidney beans are used, drain and rinse them.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    thank you, bmd, for the heads up about this thread!

i've been working on some fancy-pants sandwiches lately, so here's one i like a lot...

the drunken irishman

1/2 lb. corned beef
    1 egg (fried)
    1/2 onion (minced)
    1 baking potato (shredded for hash)
    bacon (of course)
    hot sauce
    english muffin
    salt
    pepper

in a pan over medium heat, brown the corned beef with the onions until slightly crispy along the outside (season beforehand with salt and pepper to your liking). in a separate pan, fry the shredded potato until they're golden brown. in yet another pan, fry up the bacon. NOTE: you are not using the bacon in the sandwich, so feel free to eat it as soon as you're done cooking it. you're only using the bacon grease to mix with the hot sauce (for bacon grease hot sauce, duh). And in one more pan, fry up the egg over-medium (make sure the yoke isn't overcooked so it can break open over the rest of the sandwich).

toast the english muffin, layer the bottom bun with the hash browns, then top with the corned beef and fried egg, then drizzle the bacon grease hot sauce on top. enjoy!
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    I just had to eat like 4 Tums and put my Dr on speed dial thinking of bacon grease hot sauce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsguy View Post
    I just had to eat like 4 Tums and put my Dr on speed dial thinking of bacon grease hot sauce
    no kidding. Jesus that sounds so tasty yet so deadly

vCash
    Has anybody ever had speedies before? It's a Binghamton, NY thing. If they sell Speedie Sauce in your local grocery store, buy it. Marinate cubes of chicken for two days, and then sautee them up, or grill them. Put four or five on a piece of white or italian bread and enjoy. Throw some BBQ on it if you want. Really great stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsguy View Post
    i think epicmealtime has done that already lol but ya i dont cook much but when i do its simple stuff like scrambled eggs, omelets, sunny-side up, and basically any other way u can cook eggs. Also, egg-fried rice with left over rice which brown and asn people have lots of.

Edit: oh yea, and a CHICKEN SANDWICH AND WAFFLE FRIES!!!! lmao

Cheers,

FaTaLveLi
    Last edited by Abdul Mutalib; 01-19-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: none

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    white bean chili.

Santa Fe Chicken Chili
    2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into cubes
    4 medium sweet red peppers diced
    4 garlic cloves minced
    2 large onions chopped
    C oil
    3 Tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp ground cumin
    tsp cayenne pepper
    28 oz diced tomatoes, un-drained
    28 oz chicken stock
    30 oz white beans, rinsed and drained
    12 oz salsa
    10-12 oz frozen corn
    tsp salt

Brown chicken in oil in a large pot
    Place the rest of the ingredients into the pot, cover and bring to a boil
    Reduce to simmer for 1 hour and taste. Add seasoning to taste.
    You may substitute red kidney beans for the while beaks for a different flavor. If kidney beans are used, drain and rinse them.
    *****, if there ain't no Sriracha, there ain't no meal

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    Has anybody ever had speedies before? It's a Binghamton, NY thing. If they sell Speedie Sauce in your local grocery store, buy it. Marinate cubes of chicken for two days, and then sautee them up, or grill them. Put four or five on a piece of white or italian bread and enjoy. Throw some BBQ on it if you want. Really great stuff.

I am from Ithaca. Lupo's is the best marinade ever. I am now in the DC area and they sell speedie marinde at the local grocery store.

I prefer them on the grill over sauteed myself.

vCash
    Mmmmmmmmm shepherds pie is one of my favorite things EVER to make.

Chicken Cordon Bleu

This is a rough recipe, as I always just improvise it, so bare with me.

Depending how many you want to make (we'll say two, one for you, one for the girl) you will need boneless chicken breasts.

Lay the chicken breast flat on a cutting board and using a rolling pin you need to beat the living **** out of the chicken breast (think Chris Brown -> Rihanna) until it is flattened.

Then, you need to cut several thin slices of mozzarella and place it on top of the chicken breast.

Then, take however much ham you want and place it on top of the mozzarella.

Then, you need a big bowl in which you will mix flour, raw eggs and bread crumbs into a gruel of sorts.

Then you will cover the chicken breast, mozzarella and ham in the flour/egg/crumb gruel until completely covered.

If you want, you can use toothpicks to close up the chicken breast so it all cooks together.

Throw it in the oven at 350 until it's completely cooked. I usually check it after 20 minutes, then leave it for another ten if it's not golden brown like I like it.

It's great with mashed taters and biscuits if you're into that sort of thing.

I make a DANK sauce out of cream of mushroom, chicken broth and others that goes along with the cordon bleu but I'm not gonna give THAT entire recipe away, you'll have to mix one up for yourself

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    thank you, bmd, for the heads up about this thread!

i've been working on some fancy-pants sandwiches lately, so here's one i like a lot...

the drunken irishman

1/2 lb. corned beef
    1 egg (fried)
    1/2 onion (minced)
    1 baking potato (shredded for hash)
    bacon (of course)
    hot sauce
    english muffin
    salt
    pepper

in a pan over medium heat, brown the corned beef with the onions until slightly crispy along the outside (season beforehand with salt and pepper to your liking). in a separate pan, fry the shredded potato until they're golden brown. in yet another pan, fry up the bacon. NOTE: you are not using the bacon in the sandwich, so feel free to eat it as soon as you're done cooking it. you're only using the bacon grease to mix with the hot sauce (for bacon grease hot sauce, duh). And in one more pan, fry up the egg over-medium (make sure the yoke isn't overcooked so it can break open over the rest of the sandwich).

toast the english muffin, layer the bottom bun with the hash browns, then top with the corned beef and fried egg, then drizzle the bacon grease hot sauce on top. enjoy!
    I think I would enjoy that with a slice of cheese on it.

That said, I made a homemade bacon grease hot sauce once.

I dont 100% remember how I did it, but I'll try.

I used about 6 ounces of bacon grease (it was a lot), 5 ounces of water, and 5 ounces of white distilled vinegar. 2 arbol chili peppers, 4 piquin chili peppers, 2 tablespoons I think of salt, 2 tablespoons of magic dust, I think I used 2 cloves of garlic, and some xanthan gum. I think I used a little olive oil also.

It was pretty mild spice was (I like flavor more than heat) but it tasted fantastic. I went through it awfully quickly and never really wanted to put the effort in to make it again.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash

SOON

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude901 View Post
    Thats real interesting

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast