Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The Phillies moved laterally this offseason. They brought in a bunch of ancillary players with well known floors, which limits risk. Usually, moving laterally is a bad thing, but when you're coming off a 102 win season where very little actually went right (Utley was out awhile, Ibanez was terrible, Howard continued to decline), then it's probably OK.

Basically, the Phillies lost Oswalt over the offseason, replaced him with Blanton, and they can also expect regression from Worley, Stutes, Bastardo, and perhaps Mayberry. Polanco should rebound somewhat, as should Utley and the bench is better.

The key is keeping those big three pitchers healthy. If they're out there winning 16-22 games, then the Phillies should have no problem repeating as the division winners.

The Marlins did get better, but not enough to be more than an also ran for the division. They could press for the WC. The Nationals are at a place where if EVERYTHING clicks, they could win the division, even if the Phillies post another excellent season. There's an absurd amount of talent there, but they still have some glaring chinks in the armor.

The Braves played the same shell game the Phillies did. Except they're working off a high 80's win base, not 102 wins.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Wouldn't you say that EVERYTHING CLICKING for the Nats is very unlikely though. In 2-3 years they are scary, but as of now, chemistry and development is still a lingering issue in Washington. For some odd reason, I think Espinosa has a down season compared to last years legitimate season.

vCash
    I mean to the point where they win 95+ games, yes. To the point where they give some Phillies fans heartburn and remain within striking distance all season, not as much.

Think about what they did last year, they were what 80-81. That's with a shadow of Zimmerman, a shadow of Werth, no LaRoche (not that he's scary), no Strasburg (he is), no Gio Gonzalez. Hell, they could end up with a teenage outfielder who might outhit 3/4 of our lineup. Fielder and Cespedes aren't entirely out of the question yet either.

Start adding that up, 3 wins here, 4 wins there, 1.5 over there. You can regress Espinosa, Ramos, and Desmond all you want (really their floor is pretty close to what they did last year) and that team is still a lot better than 80 wins on paper.

Do they stay entirely healthy? No, nobody ever does. And that's where they'll lose wins. But they have a very good shot at breaking the 90 win barrier right now.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash
    You guys got WAYYYY on-topic here

back to the worst way to die discussion:

How about falling 30,000 feet into the ocean and surviving only to find that it is in shark infested waters!!!!

BTW A-Team, I do not like heights at all....so falling/jumping out of a plane would stop my heart about 3 seconds into it....

vCash
    Fred. That is imposible. You fall 30,000 feet into water, you'll explode. I jumped off a cliff once at 150 feet and almost shattered my rib cage when I was alot younger. I can only imagine 30,000 feet. You fall from that height, Sharks couldn't even eat you, mackerel and other tiny fish we'll pick you apart before the remains ink to the deep ocean floor.

A-Team, if they land Fielder & Cespedes then it's a different story. I just see an underachieving team in Washington, in contrast to their Miami counterparts. I think the Marlins did a great job this offseason, one of the BEST!

vCash
    Treez, I was just surmising that, if you could survive a 30,000 foot fall as ATeam suggests, then it would REALLY suck to land in shark infested waters....I hope to live a long, uninjured life...

....btw, if you smoked a bunch of trees (likely causing the fall from the plane), it might make the trip down easier anyway

...wow man, the little boats are getting so much bigger...cool!.....

vCash
    I'm pretty sure landing on water rather than land reduces your survival odds from 0.1% to 0.0000000000000000000000000001%. Part of landing on land is that it's possible to contrive a landing that deals most of the damage to the legs and lower back. If someone then responds immediately, you could be saved.

If you land in the ocean, you sink 200 feet and drown instantly. You'd still end up with broken extremities and the water would knock all the air out of you, so you'd be...uh...dead in the water.

And the sharks would come because you'd be bleeding, but you'd be too dead to care.

vCash
    And Flyer fan's post made me think this was the offseason thread (I just see off out of the corner of my eye and connect the dots. This is what happens when you do three things at once.

vCash
    Hitting a snow drift would be your best bet to surviving the fall. Better pray someone sees the fall though or you are still ****ed.

Free fall terminal velocity is around 120 mph if you create as much wind resistance as possible. You'd have to go from the belly position to leg first at the end though.
    Last edited by MooseWithFleas; 01-19-2012 at 07:10 PM.

vCash
    Really need some new owners for my keeper league. I have been neglecting the situation but we're getting dangerously close to spring training...it's a $15 entry fee if anyone is interested. PM me for more details.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuckus:20626469
    Really need some new owners for my keeper league. I have been neglecting the situation but we're getting dangerously close to spring training...it's a $15 entry fee if anyone is interested. PM me for more details.
    This dynasty? What are roster limits and league type?
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

vCash
    25 man rosters, roto scoring. Not dynasty.

If you are/have been in A Team's league, it's quite similar to that.

vCash
    If it comes down to it, I'd be willing to run a team for free

vCash
    I have enough people who would do that.

vCash
    Honest question and it might be dumb but I cant get it out of my head...

Say your falling 30000 feet and your in a plane and while falling at the very last second you jump out of the plane but slightly upwards if possible...Would that knock any force off of your fall?
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 01-19-2012 at 09:11 PM.

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast