Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Ryan Ludwick?

vCash

Ryan Ludwick?

Any one else interested in Ryan Ludwick? I see him as another raul ibanez, which is not a bad thing and available for a similar contract. 3yrs/30 ish A solid right handed power bat that could bat fifth. Any thoughts

vCash
    3 yrs seems a little to much. Maybe 2/20 but not 3

vCash
    Maybe as Plan E.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klinsi01 View Post
    Any one else interested in Ryan Ludwick? I see him as another raul ibanez, which is not a bad thing and available for a similar contract. 3yrs/30 ish A solid right handed power bat that could bat fifth. Any thoughts
    first, welcome to the boards!

second, ruben likes his big splashes...he is probably looking at money as we speak to see what they can spend...he likely will look at whomever has a good WS and try to sign him...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klinsi01 View Post
    first, welcome to the boards!

second, ruben likes his big splashes...he is probably looking at money as we speak to see what they can spend...he likely will look at whomever has a good WS and try to sign him...
    if thats the case, look no further than Josh Hamilton as our OFer.

Phillies Redskins Flyers

vCash
    Like the right handed bat part, don't like the 3/30 part. Too much for a guy like Ludwick, I'd rather take a guy that would cost less like Cody Ross so we have money to spend elsewhere. Although if we did do this I would be okay with it if it was the best option we had, Ludwick would do very well as an everyday outfielder at CBP.

THANK YOU DANNY B #48

vCash
    I'm not sure Cody Ross would actually cost less. Ludwick had that one excellent season back in '08, but otherwise Ross has been a better player pretty much every other season.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash
    **** Cody Ross, forever.

vCash
    I do agree that Ludwick is going to cost too much given that he has maybe no better than a 50% chance of outperforming Mayberry or Ruf. And much longer odds to substantially outplay them.

Ross at least is extremely likely to outperform our internal candidates. It just won't be by very much.

Put another way, I expect both Ludwick and Ross to be about a win better than Mayberrry and/or Ruf. Ross is pretty consistent year-to-year outside of one bad half season in Miami while Ludwick has always been high variance and injury prone.

Bottom line, stay away. Too much money for aging, mid-ceiling vets.