Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo Question

Tattoo Question

I'm 26 and my dad passed away unexpectedly Thursday night. He and I were extremely close. He also served time in the Marine Corps. I would like to get a tattoo in his memory, but seems as of getting the USMC logo is a no-no since I was never a marine.
    Just wondered if anyone has any ideas? All are welcome. I would like it to be on my shoulder blade/bicep area. All of my current tattoos are not visible with a normal t shirt and jeans on and I would prefer to keep it that way.
    Thank you for anyone who has a suggestion. I've done my googling and found a couple ideas I like, just want to get some other opinions.

.220/.260/.382
    A-BOMBS: 8
    RBI:28

It's hard to suggest without knowing what you're into.

You can go any route really. For this type of situation, I've seen word/quote tattoos, specific items about the loved ones that they enjoyed (example like a guitar if your dad likes to play the guitar) and actually even the face of the person.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    It's hard to suggest without knowing what you're into.

You can go any route really. For this type of situation, I've seen word/quote tattoos, specific items about the loved ones that they enjoyed (example like a guitar if your dad likes to play the guitar) and actually even the face of the person.
    I wouldn't want his face, that's always seemed weird to me. He was a former Marine and we both were Yankees and Vikings fans. I don't want anything fancy, just something simple to pay respect and keep him a part of me for life.
    I'm not sure if Semper Fi, followed by his name and something else is appropriate only bc I was never in the Marines.

.220/.260/.382

Was also thinking about seeing if my mom has his dog tags anywhere from his marine days and maybe getting that tattood

Something like this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8a77a1f05c.jpg
    Last edited by goingfor28; 10-24-2015 at 04:08 AM.

.220/.260/.382

my condolences. I think you will come up with something pretty cool and meaningful
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

My deepest condolences mate, my advise is to not take anybody's advise on this as it is very personal, also take your time bro there is no rush. I had an eagle grasping a sword tattooed on my arm for my late Father as he loved Eagles and taught me how to use a sword. This took me almost 6months to come up with and it makes me smile every time I look in the mirror as I think of him.

Once again my condolences man.

Sorry for your loss. As for the tattoo, I am not sure, but wanted to give condolences. Whatever was most important to him, and you, maybe see what a tattoo artist can come up with. Agree on the marine corps logic having never been a member, would be the same for me.
    Time for some hootenanny.

Hmmm, maybe something like the "once a marine, always a marine" with his name and birth/passing dates?

Sorry to hear about your loss man. My condolences to you and your family.

I would have to imagine because you would be paying respect to your dad it wouldn't be disrespectful if you had Semper Fi or the Marine Corps logo tattooed.

The unwritten rule is holding you back, but if you want it, get it. Don't llet it influence on whether you should or shouldn't get it. It's a nice tribute that seems he was and you were proud of and would mean a lot, especially beause you two were very close. Nothing wrong with that.

Agree that you shouldn't do anything Marine related -- to 99% of people it will just seem like you're a Marine. But then again, it's whatever you like and has meaning to you. I would try to figure out something that has relevance to you and him specifically, vs a Marine logo which doesn't have any connection to you. A pastime you both shared, a quote he used to say to you often that you would find comforting, etc

As a former Marine, I will say that you should get any tattoo you want to commemorate your father. If anyone gives you ****, tell them to **** off. If you live in an area with heavy Marine population still, like Oceanside, San Diego, NC, etc. maybe a good idea would be set up a consultation with a reputable local artist, he will have thoughts about your standard Marine moto tat vs a commemorative tat and you two can collaborate. The artist most likely has seen his fair share of Marine related tats so I'm sure he could steer you in the right direction..Very sorry for your loss, Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Was also thinking about seeing if my mom has his dog tags anywhere from his marine days and maybe getting that tattood

Something like this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8a77a1f05c.jpg
    Dog tag would be good.

I have seen a tattoo of something baseball related and some words to remember a loved one.

Not sure how big of a fan you guys were but think like this. http://tattoonick.tumblr.com/page/2

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Dog tag would be good.

I have seen a tattoo of something baseball related and some words to remember a loved one.

Not sure how big of a fan you guys were but think like this. http://tattoonick.tumblr.com/page/2
    I am leaning towards the dog tag bc I want something that will represent him. He is the sole reason I am a MN Vikings fan, and together we were Yankees fans. But he wasn't quite the sports nut that I am, so I don't think I'm going to do anything sports related.

.220/.260/.382

Dogtag would be good then.

getting the dog tags tatted around your neck like youre wearing em would be pretty cool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast