Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PSD hack???

vCash

PSD hack???

Some wannabe hack group called lizard squad? What happened?

EDIT from ThomasTomasz: the following is posted in a global announcement made by SDI that is viewable in all forums. Because this could be the first thread you visit, I felt necessary to post the content of it here in the first post.

-Thomas

Pro Sports Daily Security Breach

We recently experienced a security breach and took the PSD Forum offline to assess the impact. We found that user email addresses (used for site registration) and passwords were compromised. As a result, we are requiring all users to change their passwords immediately.

We encourage you to use a password that is unique to our site, and is long and complex. It should contain upper and lower case letters, and at least one number or special character. As a precaution, we also strongly recommend that you change your password on any website where you may have used the same user ID and password as your Pro Sports Daily log-in.

Rest assured that we are putting in new safeguards to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Pro Sports Daily team

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/announcement.php?f=519
    Last edited by ThomasTomasz; 04-05-2016 at 07:08 PM.

vCash
    Global announcement that was put up from SDI- http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/announcement.php?f=519

vCash
    That message from Sports Illustrator shouldn't be buried in a link. The recommendation to change PSD password and possibly email password should be front and center. The message should also be sent as an email so that all members receive direct notice. Many PSD users may be inactive and not know their personal information has been potentially compromised.

I can't believe I have to make this point. Confidence in site administration is at an all-time low.
    Better exiled than succumb to hypocrisy. -- Soe Hok Gie

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    That message from Sports Illustrator shouldn't be buried in a link. The recommendation to change PSD password and possibly email password should be front and center. The message should also be sent as an email so that all members receive direct notice. Many PSD users may be inactive and not know their personal information has been potentially compromised.

I can't believe I have to make this point. Confidence in site administration is at an all-time low.
    I made an edit to the OP that includes that statement. It was also made as a global announcement, and members can view it at the top of each forum they visit.

I definitely agree about the suggestion to email it, and I've created a thread in the moderator's forum to have someone from SDI check into this thread.

vCash
    I have a feeling this wasn't with intend to use the data taken to harbor information, it's totally a gut feeling, still CHANGE your passwords if they match this one to other important stuff and change this one. But it's likely Lizard Squad or whoever hell this was and these type of groups just do this to prove that security is weak and can be easily nailed. It's an awareness thing.

Still crazy.

What's the rules on discussing this? There's nothing against doing that in our off topic threads or whatever is there?

vCash
    Thanks for the quick heads up after coming back online guys
    Time for some hootenanny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I have a feeling this wasn't with intend to use the data taken to harbor information, it's totally a gut feeling, still CHANGE your passwords if they match this one to other important stuff and change this one. But it's likely Lizard Squad or whoever hell this was and these type of groups just do this to prove that security is weak and can be easily nailed. It's an awareness thing.

Still crazy.

What's the rules on discussing this? There's nothing against doing that in our off topic threads or whatever is there?
    I don't see why it would be a problem for you guys to discuss this in your off topic threads, personally I think awareness on the topic is important.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

Still crazy.

I would say discuss in the off-topic threads, and if people have further questions, divert them here. Word needs to get out so people change their passwords, but that should be the extent of talk in those threads.

vCash
    nm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    I would say discuss in the off-topic threads, and if people have further questions, divert them here. Word needs to get out so people change their passwords, but that should be the extent of talk in those threads.
    Yeah I made sure to bring that up in our forum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Soop View Post
    I don't see why it would be a problem for you guys to discuss this in your off topic threads, personally I think awareness on the topic is important.
    Just making sure is all that it wasn't a nono
    nm
    Oh cmon I want to know what you were going to say lol

vCash
    Next time when you run a 250k+ vbulletin board... Make sure you update the latest security patches, and use proper safeguards such as "alphanumeric" passwords. Make sure to not also use the same password for all your accounts. Also for the love of god if you're an administrator, use a generated 128 bit alphanumeric password.

I would suggest you guys move over to xenforo boards, way way more secure. Also i suggest looking into 2-factor authentication for admin accounts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crimeagency View Post
    Next time when you run a 250k+ vbulletin board... Make sure you update the latest security patches, and use proper safeguards such as "alphanumeric" passwords. Make sure to not also use the same password for all your accounts. Also for the love of god if you're an administrator, use a generated 128 bit alphanumeric password.

I would suggest you guys move over to xenforo boards, way way more secure. Also i suggest looking into 2-factor authentication for admin accounts.
    Good advice from the interloper. Thanks are actually in order here.

http://www.azaleatech.com/strong_pass.html

For sensitive accounts I use one of three sets of 10-character alphanumeric passwords followed by 6 unique characters. Drives me nuts when I have to change employment user credentials 3 to 4x per year though, but that's the cost of security.

#SecureLivesMatter
    Last edited by Dugmet; 04-06-2016 at 04:26 AM.

vCash
    Good advice from the interloper. Thanks are actually in order here.

http://www.azaleatech.com/strong_pass.html

For sensitive accounts I use one of three sets of 10-character alphanumeric passwords followed by 6 unique characters. Drives me nuts when I have to change employment user credentials 3 to 4x per year though, but that's the cost of security.

#SecureLivesMatter
    Cool tool. I just used it. Thanks!

vCash
    They can have my account. What do I care?

Redskins | Nationals | Capitals | Wizards| D.C United

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast