Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Yes, I'm bias because I'm a Cowboys fan...but you're comparing different eras. Troy was playing in a time when QBs didn't throw as much as they do now. Go back and compare those numbers to the QBs at the time...Aikman was in the top 10 across the board. That's why when Marino did what he did with the passing record, it was astounding..by today's standard, it's not as big of a deal. Look at Matthew Stafford, for example, the kid threw for over 5000 yards and 41 TDs and he's not even a Pro Bowler???

Aikman won games....PERIOD!! He showed up in the playoffs and won when it counted. He has 3 rings to prove it. Where have the Cowboys been since he's left? 1 playoff victory, that's where. Yes, I get the fact that he had a hell of a team around him, but someone had to deal with the egos of those receivers and work with Emmitt Smith. He's in the HOF for a reason...you can't just look at numbers, but even if you do, he was very consistent year in and year out.

vCash
    The same Cowboy fans saying Aikman is a HOFer because he won big games, 3 SBs and showed up when it counted are the same ones who dont take anything away from Romo's great regular season stats despite him never being able to win the big game.

just sayin'...

vCash
    Lock, close this thread. Can't even believe this is being discussed.

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    Only Dallas QB that I feared.....he'll be in the Hall. What I tell all Dallas fans when they start bragging about the current Cowgirls...................."Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith, Michael Irving and Deon Sanders not walking through that door".

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys4Life619 View Post
    Yes, I'm bias because I'm a Cowboys fan...but you're comparing different eras. Troy was playing in a time when QBs didn't throw as much as they do now. Go back and compare those numbers to the QBs at the time...Aikman was in the top 10 across the board. That's why when Marino did what he did with the passing record, it was astounding..by today's standard, it's not as big of a deal. Look at Matthew Stafford, for example, the kid threw for over 5000 yards and 41 TDs and he's not even a Pro Bowler???

Aikman won games....PERIOD!! He showed up in the playoffs and won when it counted. He has 3 rings to prove it. Where have the Cowboys been since he's left? 1 playoff victory, that's where. Yes, I get the fact that he had a hell of a team around him, but someone had to deal with the egos of those receivers and work with Emmitt Smith. He's in the HOF for a reason...you can't just look at numbers, but even if you do, he was very consistent year in and year out.

So you're saying that a top 10 QB from his era is Hall of Fame worthy? I'd say there are maybe 3-4 guys an era that are HOF worthy, with some exceptions.

Aikman threw it 30 times per game. People are not reading that part. 30!!! He threw the ball! He had the protection of the o-line, great receivers, and arguably the best RB of all-time to take all the heat off him. Yet, after throwing 30(!) times a game, his numbers were still unimpressive.

vCash
    Of all the great quarterbacks of the 90's, Aikman was easily the least impressive of them all, I believe the term "game manager" came from Aikmans play. Even in Aikmans era his numbers were quite mediocre. Based off his play and numbers, I truly believe that he is not hall of fame worthy. Just an average-good QB playing on a great team.

vCash
    One of, if not the, best control the game, precision passer, bus driver QB's ever. Sure he doesn't put up Brees type numbers, but the guy played smart and found a way to use all the weapons around him to keep defenses off balance.

He is a HOF'er, for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Edicehouse View Post

the end of number 3, well then Brett Farve should be on the buble because he only won 1 SB. Jim Kelly should not be in, because he never won....

You interpreted what I wrote wrong. I'm saying that Alex Smith puts up comparable numbers to Troy Aikman. Aikman was on 3 SB teams, hence the reason he is a HOFer, NOT because of statistics.

I think statistics should weigh heavily into the situation. When you interpret the statistics based on what kind of team the player was on, it will tell you if he is a Hall of Famer.

I don't think Troy's stats were good enough to get in on his Super Bowl resume alone. Kelly's, Marino's, and Favre's were.

Favre: Phenominal numbers, went to 2 Super Bowls, won 1.
    Kelly: Very good numbers, went to 4 Super Bowls
    Marino: Exceptional numbers, played in 1 Super Bowl, won 0.

Super Bowls are team accomplishments. The QB usually plays a huge role in them, hence the credit they get. However, Aikman's stats don't support the theory that he was a key reason they won 3 Super Bowls with him at QB. In fact, it proves the contrary.

vCash
    One more thing to look at....

Aikman's Super Bowl numbers.

In Super Bowl 27 (XXVII), he played a great game, I will give him credit. He was 22-30, 273 yards, and 4 TD's. Quite the game by Troy.

Then, Super Bowl 28 (XXVIII): 19-27, 207 Yards, 0 TD's, 1 INT

and Super Bowl 30 (XXX)?: 15-23 209 yds, 1 TD

So he had 1 great Super Bowl performance, 1 average one, and 1 sub-par...all with a stellar team around him.

If Aikman played anywhere other than Dallas, I doubt he'd be any more popular than your average QB at the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbs View Post
    Come on Now Troy will never be in consideration for the best of the best.

Isn't that what the Hall of Fame is reserved for...the best of the best?

vCash
    no

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aheili30 View Post
    One more thing to look at....

Aikman's Super Bowl numbers.

In Super Bowl 27 (XXVII), he played a great game, I will give him credit. He was 22-30, 273 yards, and 4 TD's. Quite the game by Troy.

Then, Super Bowl 28 (XXVIII): 19-27, 207 Yards, 0 TD's, 1 INT

and Super Bowl 30 (XXX)?: 15-23 209 yds, 1 TD

So he had 1 great Super Bowl performance, 1 average one, and 1 sub-par...all with a stellar team around him.

If Aikman played anywhere other than Dallas, I doubt he'd be any more popular than your average QB at the time.
    Such a stupid post. So we are judging Aikman's HOF merits on Super Bowl performances. You could do this for just about every QB that played in multiple Super Bowls outside of Joe Montana or Kurt Warner. In SB28 he played with a concussion. He suffered a concussion in the NFC title game against the Niners the week before the Super Bowl(this is when they had one week between champ. game and Super Bowl) and he was not right and still had a decent game. Jimmy took the game out of Aikman's hands when he knew he wasn't right and rode Emmitt which was the smart move. And if we are judging him based off of his SB performances what exactly is bad or average about having 1 INT in 3 games, the 4th highest QB rating in SB history, and the highest completion % at a 70%.

Trying to discredit someone based off of Super Bowl performances is beyond stupid especially in Aikman's case, when you don't breakdown what happened in the Super Bowls he played in.
    Last edited by bootsy; 03-14-2012 at 06:39 PM.

vCash
    aikman was on an incredible team,his pass completion percentage was very good and he won three super bowls,that sorta thing makes him iconic when people name names from that cowboy dynasty his is one the top ones and that makes him part of the history of his era,i do think that makes his place in the hall of fame a worthy one.

vCash
    Hall of Famer? Yes. Overrated? Yes. He is good enough to be in the Hall of Fame but he wasn't anywhere near as good as many people made him out to be at that time. You put John Elway, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly etc. on that team and they have all those accomplishments if not more....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Hall of Famer? Yes. Overrated? Yes. He is good enough to be in the Hall of Fame but he wasn't anywhere near as good as many people made him out to be at that time. You put John Elway, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly etc. on that team and they have all those accomplishments if not more....
    LOL. He beat all of these QB's head to head multiple times in big games. And Warren Moon. Dude was as stat accumulator and a choke artist. All these QB's have better numbers than Aikman because of the pass first offenses they played in. You could argue either way but to say these QB's I bolded are clearly better than Aikman is laughable. You people keep on saying Aikman's overrated and I'll keep knocking it down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast