Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Troy Aikman: Hall of Fame Worthy?

This has always been something that has bugged me a little bit. I have nothing against Troy Aikman, but is he really a Hall of Fame worthy candidate? I am not trying to troll or bait or anything, I think this is a debateable topic.

Let's look at what's concrete first, the stats:

Troy was the QB of one of the most prolific franchises in pro sports. Here were his stats:

-He threw at least 20 TD's in a season ONCE (23; 1992)...totaling 165 TD's in 154 games, barely more than 1/game.

-141 Interceptions during this time span, meaning, he almost threw 1 pick for every TD

-Career completion percentage of 61.5%

-Career QB rating of 81.6...surpassing 90 for a season just twice

-Troy never had a 4000 yard season, in fact, never had a 3500 yard season. He had 5 seasons over 3000 yards

-He averaged 30 attempts throwing per game, meaning he was throwing at a decent rate, but not putting up big stats.

Now, look at who he played with.

-He had arguably the best offensive line of All-Time in front of him for a good chunk of his career. This is a huge advantage for a pocket passer like Troy.

-Emmitt Smith was his RB, which takes a huge load of pressure of Troy, yet he failed to become more than just average statistically, even with defenses focusing on Emmitt.

-Had Michael Irvin and Alvin Harper...Michael being one of the more underrated WR's of all-time, yet is still a HOFer.

Troy did win three Super Bowls, but if you look at the facts, it didn't appear to be because Troy was a Hall of Fame QB. Troy WAS a good QB, but is he great enough to be in the Hall of Fame?

Also, some of you will mention that the way the game was played at that time was very different from today. Yes, I know. However, by NFL standards even at that time, he still wasn't that prolific. Kelly, Marino, Elway, Young, and Favre all managed to put up much better numbers than Aikman did, despite being on worse teams many times. Certainly none were as complete as the Cowboys were much of the time.

So, is Aikman's 3 Super Bowl victories enough to be Hall of Fame worthy? Or, is he one of the more overrated QB's of all-time?

vCash
    I don't think there is much doubt about him being a hall of famer and this from an Eagles fan.

I hate him announcing games but he was a heck of special player.
    Striving for a kinder, gentler PhillyFaninLA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFaninLA View Post
    I don't think there is much doubt about him being a hall of famer and this from an Eagles fan.

I hate him announcing games but he was a heck of special player.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, I just want to know why he is. I'd love to hear more than "he is a special player" because I think of the best of the best when it comes to being "special" as an NFL athlete.

vCash
    Absolutely. Without question.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    How did he perform in the playoffs? If those stats are anywhere as un-impressive as his regular season stats, he shouldn't be in the HOF, period.

vCash
    One, it's a different era, so numbers were harder to come by in the '90s.

Two, he would have had better stats if Emmit Smith wasn't his running back. Why throw when you have one of the best running backs and offensive lines in NFL history? When he had to throw he could and often times was successful. There are many QBs who had great talent and didn't win, Troy did win and getting 3 out of 4 is impressive, even in the non-salary cap era that Dallas thrived in.

Three, he's the QB, and the QB gets more credit or blame than anyone on the team. That's just the way it is and he's the face of the '90s Cowboys, though Emmit, Michael and Deion were far superior athletes and talents.

vCash
    Eli had better numbers than him, so I guess he's a hofer too

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    My PREDICITON OF LEBRON GOING TO THE KNICKS WAS SPOT ON!!!!

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

FREE MY SOURCE PraiseJesus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TC119 View Post
    One, it's a different era, so numbers were harder to come by in the '90s.

Two, he would have had better stats if Emmit Smith wasn't his running back. Why throw when you have one of the best running backs and offensive lines in NFL history? When he had to throw he could and often times was successful. There are many QBs who had great talent and didn't win, Troy did win and getting 3 out of 4 is impressive, even in the non-salary cap era that Dallas thrived in.

Three, he's the QB, and the QB gets more credit or blame than anyone on the team. That's just the way it is and he's the face of the '90s Cowboys, though Emmit, Michael and Deion were far superior athletes and talents.

You obviously didn't read what I wrote.

About "One": I already mentioned this, and his stats were still only average for his era. If he's average statitiscally, even though he's on the best team, does that make him a Hall of Famer? A player can be a great player, but Hall of Fame is reserved is for the elite.

About "Two": I already brought this up as well. He had Emmitt Smith, but still threw 30 times a game. When you throw 30 times a game, you should have better numbers than what Aikman had. Defenses were focusing on Emmitt, which should open up the passing game. He had the Irvin, Harper, Novacek, and even Emmitt was a good receiver out of the backfield.

About "Three": This is the only thing that you could put on Aikman's Hall of Fame resume. In my opinion, it isn't enough. Alex Smith's play this year would be good enough to do what Aikman did...is Alex Smith a Hall of Famer? No. Because he doesn't play on Super Bowl winners.

vCash
    He was an average QB on a great team. But he is an over guy with the league, and is a positive addition to the HOF for the fan base.

WHO'S THE DIVA EXPERT NOW???

vCash
    Trust me I've had the same thoughts about Troy myself, and back in his day always thought he was overrated (have since changed my mind quite a bit). And he did qb behind the best offensive line in football, had maybe the best TE and FB in the league, had an incredible receiving core and of course one of the best running backs of all time. That being said, he without a doubt is a hall of famer. He didn't have to throw. He made the throws that he had to. He was a winner. And I think he would have had better numbers if forced to, but he was never forced to. And obviously he played in a different age.
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aheili30 View Post

About "One": I already mentioned this, and his stats were still only average for his era. If he's average statitiscally, even though he's on the best team, does that make him a Hall of Famer? A player can be a great player, but Hall of Fame is reserved is for the elite.

About "Two": I already brought this up as well. He had Emmitt Smith, but still threw 30 times a game. When you throw 30 times a game, you should have better numbers than what Aikman had. Defenses were focusing on Emmitt, which should open up the passing game. He had the Irvin, Harper, Novacek, and even Emmitt was a good receiver out of the backfield.

About "Three": This is the only thing that you could put on Aikman's Hall of Fame resume. In my opinion, it isn't enough. Alex Smith's play this year would be good enough to do what Aikman did...is Alex Smith a Hall of Famer? No. Because he doesn't play on Super Bowl winners.

the end of number 3, well then Brett Farve should be on the buble because he only won 1 SB. Jim Kelly should not be in, because he never won....

WHO'S THE DIVA EXPERT NOW???

vCash

Your logic is flawed. Marino is a Hall of Famer and he didn't play on a Super Bowl winning team.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Totally a Hall of Famer. He won Super Bowls and he was killing it in Dallas.

vCash

LOL, well your original post was kind of long... I apologize.

If he didn't win any Super Bowls, he probably wouldn't be in because statistically his career wasn't impressive. I just seem to remember in every clutch situation when they needed a pass, he seemed to come through, especially in the playoffs. Was he overrated? Maybe.

In his prime, he was a top 3 QB in the NFC and won 3 SB. I've heard similar arguments with Terry Bradshaw, no doubt he was on some pretty darn good teams and his stats weren't eye-popping, but championships seem to take priority.

And again, the QB gets the glory... It's like Al Pacino says in Any Given Sunday: "You're not a flash in the pan receiver, or corner... You're the *%&$ Quarterback!"

vCash
    Come on Now Troy will never be in consideration for the best of the best. But he was a special player who came up big when it counted and was a key part of one of the leagues most succesful teams.

The End is Coming.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast