Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Hybrid View

vCash

Jets Among NHL's Best at Home, and Worst on the Road

WINNIPEG -- Winnipeg Jets coach Claude Noel says it's a little misleading but still remains a fact: no other NHL team has such a bad road record yet sports such a solid mark at home.

As the Jets prepare to go back on the road -- they're in Montreal on Wednesday -- Noel and the team have confidence that will change.

"We've been consistent lately so that will be the challenge for sure for us," he said following Monday's practice. "Can we do it on the road?

"I think we can."

Winnipeg plays nine out of its 13 games on the road this month on the road. After Montreal, the Jets travel to Toronto, Buffalo and then Boston before returning home.

The Jets have the Eastern Conference's best home record at 14-6-1, which is also fourth-best in the NHL. But on the road, they rank a distant 25th overall at 5-8-4.

It's that dichotomy that sets Winnipeg apart. Most of the teams that have a worse road record than the Jets are also struggling at home.

The reason why Noel suggests the numbers don't tell the whole story is the Jets began their new life in the NHL largely on the road. In October and November, they played 15-of-24 games away from the Manitoba capital.

That was hard on a young team that relocated from Atlanta to a new city and had a new coach. Once the Jets had time to work regularly at home, they began to forge an identity, eliminate costly mistakes and start winning more regularly.

"I think it just took us a little bit to understand the system, we had such a new coaching staff and everything," says captain Andrew Ladd, who also gets credit for some team-building. "It just took time to figure out the way we need to play and I think the last month or so we've kind of nailed that down and now it's just time to take it on the road."

The hockey-starved fans who fill the MTS Centre for every home game also have played a role, giving the Jets a huge adrenalin boost with little prompting.

"The road is going to present some different issues," Noel said. "We're going to have to provide our own energy, get more internalized."

But as long as the Jets stick to the basics Noel believes they will succeed.

"For me the foundation of winning goes around defending . . . If your team plays hard for each other, plays with a good foundation of defending, you give yourself a chance to win every night," he said.

They did that last month, winning 10 of 14 games. The Jets also helped themselves by avoiding the sloppy penalties that made Noel cringe earlier in the season.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384048

vCash
    I don't get the extreme differences. Yes, Winnipeg fans are nuts and loud, but they just seem to lose concentration more on the road and its like they can't wait to get back home! I don't know if its just youth or poor preparation from the coaches down, but we will never make the play offs, no matter how good we are at home and can't win more than 25% of our road games. I don't like this trend developing!