Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Kobe On Pace To Set Another Record: Most Missed Field Goals In NBA History

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/ar..._goals/4002331

In the next couple of years Kobe Bryant is going to pass another legendary Celtic in the record book. But not in a good way.

Kobe Bryant is on pace to break the record for most missed shots in a career, according to some fun research by John Hollinger at ESPN (a post behind the siteís pay wall).

But the more important one thatís likely to fall is John Havlicekís record for missed field goals, which Kobe Bryant should break at some point early in the 2013-14 season. My method gives him a 97 percent chance of setting the mark, which essentially means that barring an injury Kobe will hold the record. His current rate is 866 misses a season and heís only 2,204 short of the record.

vCash
    I had a thread like this in the stats forum, I called this like almost 2 years ago.

Either way, I think he'll be #1 when it's all said and done, all he needs is a few more seasons and to continue to shoot at his current pace.
    Last edited by Wade>You; 01-02-2012 at 02:43 PM.

vCash
    Here's my post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade>You View Post
    I started thinking how a player's missed FGAs might give us a better perspective of where that player ranks amongst the greatest scorers. While I don't claim for this to be a tell-all stat, I think people will be surprised by what I found.

Before anything: many people have different definitions of 'great scorers.' Many people believe putting up the most PPG, regardless of efficiency, defines a great scorer. Others, such as myself, believe that great scorers achieve a balance of PPG while maintaining a high FG%.

I took the consensus #1 scorer in the NBA and compared his missed FGAs to that of the two greatest scorers in the history of the game.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: 12,470 missed FGAs in 1,560 reg. season games (20 years)
    Karl Malone: 12,682 missed FGAs in 1,476 reg. season games (19 years)
    Kobe as of today: 10,759 missed FGAs in 1,021 reg. season games (14 years)

Kobe missed FGAs in 09-10: 853

853 x 2 (seasons) = 1,706

1,706 + 10,759 = 12,465 projected missed FGAs two years from now (more than KAJ, and by the third season, at this rate, more than Karl Malone).

vCash
    Woo-Hoo lets ignore the fact that the guy played since 1996, won 5 championships, is going to be a Top 5 in the All-Time Scoring List and lets just focus on the bad parts of his career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LakersMaster24 View Post
    Woo-Hoo lets ignore the fact that the guy played since 1996, won 5 championships, is going to be a Top 5 in the All-Time Scoring List and lets just focus on the bad parts of his career.
    Too focused on your sig, don't know what you said...

vCash
    Its not Kobe hating to point this out btw.

The dude shoots. A lot. Oh well.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    He's in good company.

vCash
    Who cares Brett had the most picks, but he was still a bad *** mother ****er you don't wanna **** with. Kobe is in the same boat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post

Jordan took 23 shots per game through his career. Kobe only 19. But like you said oh well.
    Last edited by C-Style; 01-02-2012 at 03:05 PM.

vCash
    Kobe had one of his worst games in his career yesterday. He simply couldnt make a shot to save his life. But with that said, the man has done enough as of today to put him in the top 7 players to ever play the game of basketball. Only a handful of players have been more dominant than him. One of the greatest winners in the history of the game. While he may very well break the record for most missed shots in his career, he will likely pass MJ as 3rd in most points in the history of the game, and will be the ONLY perimeter player to be that high on the all time list. Funny thing is, no other elite perimeter player lasted this long in the league. Not Magic, not Bird and not MJ. Thats a remarkable achievement. While people are so quick to point out his missed FGs, all he has left to prove at this point is go higher and higher in the all time rankings. Being around 7th right now, I think he has the ability to get up as high as 3rd or 4th depending on how the next few years go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Style View Post
    Jordan shot 23 shots per game through his career. Kobe only 19. But like you said oh well.
    MJ didnt have the longevity Kobe had otherwise he would have surely broken the all time missed FGs record. Because as you pointed out, if Kobe is one of the biggest ball hogs in the history of the game, MJ is the leader in that category. Nothing wrong with shooting so much if your just that damn good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post

Jordan shot 23 shots per game through his career. Kobe only 19. But like you said oh well.
    The topic is missed FGAs. Jordan made a good % of his shots, that's why he's not in the conversation. The other guys in the convo have played more years than Kobe and are all-time scoring leaders. For Kobe to be near them before playing that many years is what makes this such an intriguing topic.

vCash
    Jordan might have attempted 4 more shots than kobe, but he also made almost 2.5 more shots than kobe, and scored 5 more points than kobe. He's a career 50% fg, 5% higher than kobe, he also played 2 more minutes per game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade>You View Post
    The topic is missed FGAs. Jordan made a good % of his shots, that's why he's not in the conversation. The other guys in the convo have played more years than Kobe and are all-time scoring leaders. For Kobe to be near them before playing that many years is what makes this such an intriguing topic.
    have you even seen the top 10 list of the players who have missed the most shots???

vCash
    He's still justified to shoot a lot with his skill, but when he starts to decline more noticeably, a high volume of shots won't be a great thing for him. Still, most missed FGs has to be taken in context. Just how bad it is depends on TS% and EFG% in comparison to the other greats on the list.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast