ss-Bogaerts, Iglesias
    3b-WMB, Ceccini
    OF-Kalish, Brentz, Bradley
    SP-Moore, Ranuado

We have a nice duality in the farm system

vCash
    Who is Moore?

vCash
    Sorry Barnes, Actually the man in your sig..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13:20726488
    Who is Moore?
    Matt Moore. you know, our secret spy in the Rays organization

Bobby V is all in!

vCash
    I saw the MLB Top 100 prospect rankings, and Lavarnway was 93! I can't wait until he proves all of the expert's wrong. The guy is a beast.

vCash
    it really doesn't make any sense. Especially when he puts up the same great numbers across every level.
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

vCash
    Cuban left-hander Gerardo Concepcion, an 18-year-old free agent, is very close to signing with a team, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com*(story is in Spanish).

vCash
    Baseball America's Top 30

1. Will Middlebrooks
    2. Xander Bogaerts
    3. Blake Swihart
    4. Anthony Ranaudo
    5. Bryce Brentz
    6. Brandon Jacobs
    7. Garin Cecchini
    8. Matt Barnes
    9. Ryan Lavarnway
    10. Jackie Bradley
    11. Alex Wilson
    12. Jose Iglesias
    13. Sean Coyle
    14. Brandon Workman
    15. Drake Britton
    16. Felix Doubront
    17. Henry Owens
    18. Kolbrin Vitek
    19. Kyle Stroup
    20. Jose Vinicio
    21. Stolmy Pimentel
    22. Oscar Tejeda
    23. Derrik Gibson
    24. Alex Hassan
    25. Lars Anderson
    26. Christian Vazquez
    27. Heiker Meneses
    28. Cody Kukuk
    29. Miguel Celestino
    30. Chris Balcom-Miller

vCash
    ^ I hate the way they do lists. Some of the new high picks get jacked way up there, only to fall like stones in the next year or two. Can they actually do something as pros first before they get crowned?

There are 5 or 6 guys listed ahead of Lavarnway that haven't proven much. It could be in two years 2-3 of these guys will prove to be better, it could be none of them do.

Igleasis keeps dropped, and Lars is almost gone from sight, those I get since they earned those ratings.

As for Lavarnway, I'm a big fan, but his bat may not be great enough to be a full time DH here. If I had to guess in 4 years he could be a: .270/.340/.480 DH - good for cheap, but not elite. As a catcher (minus a bit for the position) that would be top 3-4 in the AL sorf of offense. I swear, he looks like and swings like Mike Schmidt - wouldn't it be great if he hits like Mike...
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-27-2012 at 11:05 AM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post

1. Will Middlebrooks
    2. Xander Bogaerts
    3. Blake Swihart
    4. Anthony Ranaudo
    5. Bryce Brentz
    6. Brandon Jacobs
    7. Garin Cecchini
    8. Matt Barnes
    9. Ryan Lavarnway
    10. Jackie Bradley
    11. Alex Wilson
    12. Jose Iglesias
    13. Sean Coyle
    14. Brandon Workman
    15. Drake Britton
    16. Felix Doubront
    17. Henry Owens
    18. Kolbrin Vitek
    19. Kyle Stroup
    20. Jose Vinicio
    21. Stolmy Pimentel
    22. Oscar Tejeda
    23. Derrik Gibson
    24. Alex Hassan
    25. Lars Anderson
    26. Christian Vazquez
    27. Heiker Meneses
    28. Cody Kukuk
    29. Miguel Celestino
    30. Chris Balcom-Miller
    Some thoughts when reading this list:

* Very agressive placements on the likes of Blake Swihart, Brandon Jacobs, Kyle Stroup and Heiker Meneses.

* Derrik Gibson is ranked unjustifiably high. He's 22 years old, hasn't had a good season in two years and he still plays in A ball.

* Why is Alex Hassan so underrated? Sure, he doesn't have great tools and his ceiling isn't that high. But he has three good years under his belt and he's at least average in all facets of the game.

* Same goes for Lavarnway. I can't see how Swihart ranks as the 3rd best prospect without having played a full week in pro ball. Lavarnway surprised me with his defense during his time at the Major League level. I think he'll be fine.

* This only shows how ridiculous Jonathan Mayo ranked Oscar Tejeda. He's ranked 22th on this list, well below Coyle.

* I'm not ready to write off Vitek as a bust yet, but it certainly starts to look like it.

Bobby V is all in!

vCash
    If Lavarnway's ranking doesn't show bias I don't know what does.

The guy has mashed at every level and significantly improved defense every year to the point that now he's average to slightly below average as a catcher. Even taking into account poor defense, his bat he's All-star material. HOW THE **** is he 93rd?????? and Montero is top 5? They hit and field almost the same.

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    Comparing their list to ours it looks like the forum did a pretty good job.

Quote Originally Posted by NCBoSoxfan21 View Post
    If Lavarnway's ranking doesn't show bias I don't know what does.

The guy has mashed at every level and significantly improved defense every year to the point that now he's average to slightly below average as a catcher. Even taking into account poor defense, his bat he's All-star material. HOW THE **** is he 93rd?????? and Montero is top 5? They hit and field almost the same.
    He easily justifies a higher ranking but the bold part is simply not true. The majority of his time in 2009 and 2010 was as a DH, not a catcher, and his defense did not improve much. He's made great strides recently and I'm not doubting his continued development but it's an exaggeration to say he's significantly improved every year.

vCash
    He's gone from can't fathom him being a full time backstop to he's got a tick below average defense. I'd say that's some significant improvement.

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    Okay to be fair Montero is a better hitter than Lavarnway. Maybe not when Lavarnway will be at Fenway and Montero at Safeco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBoSoxfan21 View Post
    He's gone from can't fathom him being a full time backstop to he's got a tick below average defense. I'd say that's some significant improvement.
    Please re-read what I wrote. You claimed that he improved EVERY YEAR. I said that he had not improved every year in part because he spent the majority of the time his first season and a half as a DH. This was a long running critique that I've had of the Sox handling of him and the chief cause of concern I had against all those who hailed him as a can't-miss catcher -- he wasn't catching!

The Sox finally committed to improving his defense in 2011. He's made great strides. I think he's got the potential to continue to improve. His greatest weakness is the relatively short time for which he's been catching, but time and teaching CAN overcome that.

Page 7 of 136 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast