Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 136 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Bryce Brentz, a Single A outfielder, was added to the roster for the game against the Blue Jays, which ended in a 3-3 tie, and singled to center in his one at-bat.

Valentine, who threw batting practice to Brentz two weeks ago, is impressed with the 23-year-old, saying he is different from the other prospects.

Brentz hit .306 with 30 home runs and 94 RBIs in 115 games for Greenville and Salem last season.

“It means a lot,’’ Brentz said when apprised of Valentine’s comments. “It’s my first game to come up here with the big boys. For him to make a statement like that, it makes you feel good as a young player.’’
    Boston Globe

vCash
    The feeling is that Will Middlebrooks is going to make it to the big leagues.

The question is, when?

The way Middlebrooks looks defensively at third base - with one of the best arms in the organization - his ETA to Boston could be late this season.

Middlebrooks, 23, has gotten a nice taste of big league camp, starting Thursday against the Cardinals, although he struck out in his first two at-bats.

Like many young players, Middlebrooks has struggled at each promotion before catching up to the speed of the game and excelling.

To say the Texarkana, Texas, native is completely there yet isn’t realistic. No chance. Not when he was overmatched by Cardinals lefthander Jamie Garcia in his first at-bat. But in an age where it has become difficult to find legitimate power-hitting, good-fielding third basemen, the Sox seem to have one.

At first sight, he has an Evan Longoria look about him. Whether he reaches that level remains to be seen.

Scouts are somewhat divided, some believing Middlebrooks will be an All-Star, others feeling he will be an average hitter with a good glove.

------

If the Red Sox send Jose Iglesias back to Pawtucket now, they may have some explaining to do.

Iglesias has emerged as the best shortstop in camp, with another sparkling defensive play and a three-run triple in the eighth inning against the Cardinals Thursday.

Josh Beckett, who pitched three strong innings in the 9-3 loss, was the beneficiary when Iglesias robbed David Freese in the second inning. Iglesias made a diving, backhanded stop on his knees, then got up and made a perfect throw to first base.

“Yeah, he’s pretty sick,’’ said Beckett. “I can see why they gave him all that money.’’

Manager Bobby Valentine is getting used to seeing terrific defense from Iglesias, and Thursday, Iglesias tied the game at 3-3 in the eighth with the triple.

“His other at-bats were decent, too,’’ said Valentine. “His rhythm is very good. He’s getting close. He’s also playing under control and starting to dispel some of the things that were said about him in the past.’’
    Boston Globe
    Last edited by RedSoxtober; 03-09-2012 at 02:39 PM.

vCash
    Man the young guys have been so impressive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Boston Globe
    Let me guess, Cafardo?

vCash
    FORT MYERS, Fla. -- According to a major league source, the Red Sox do plan to pursue Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler, a 20-year-old who is awaiting approval by Major League Baseball to become an international amateur free agent. Though still considered very raw, Soler has tremendous power, with the potential to hit 30-plus homers a season in the majors if he proves capable of fulfilling his potential.

That said, the Sox -- like most of the baseball industry -- expect that the Cubs are likely to win the bidding for Soler. In some ways, Soler is emerging as the subject of the last unrestricted bidding war surrounding an international amateur free agent.

Starting this July, teams will be subject to a $2.9 million cap in their total international signing bonuses for the 2012-13 signing period that will include penalties for every dollar spent over that amount, and restrictions on the signing of players in the next amateur signing period. As long as Soler signs before this July 2, he will be unaffected by the cap, and thus he is perhaps the last significant unrestricted international amateur free agent, a fact that will give him a bonus several times larger than the forthcoming $2.9 million cap.
    Alex Speier

Not sure where to put this, but since he's a prospect...

Bobby V is all in!

vCash
    #100 Garin Cecchini
    #55 Will Middlebrooks
    #29 Xander Bogaerts
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ects-for-2012/

Swihart and Barnes just missed the list at #101 and #106. I don't understand how Austin Hedges is on the list (#85), and Swihart isn't.

Bobby V is all in!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSox>Yankees View Post
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ects-for-2012/

Swihart and Barnes just missed the list at #101 and #106. I don't understand how Austin Hedges is on the list (#85), and Swihart isn't.
    Possibly because Hedges at least got into some action last year and Swihart didn't?

vCash
    Or because Hedges is considered a plus-plus defensive C and Swihart is still pretty much raw?

vCash
    Sox related Q&A from FG's Top 100 chat

Comment From mike
    rendon have a shot at top prospect in 2013 after the harpers/trouts/moores are gone? if not rendon - who? profar?

Marc Hulet:*If he stays healthy (and no reason to expect he won't) he definitely has a shot - as does Profar, whom I am really high on. Maybe Taijuan Walker, Xander Bogaerts, Nolan Arenado (if he's not up yet), Francisco Lindor... lots of exciting players that could really explode in 2012.
    Comment From Kyle
    Who were the "just missed" guys? Did Swihart or Barnes get any consideration?

Marc Hulet:*Swihart was 101 and Barnes was 106... both oh-so close.
    Comment From Chowds
    In my opinion Lavarnway>>Saltalamacchia, but nobody seems to like the kid all that much. Why? Is his D really that bad? You never see a catcher post too low a negative fielding number, Arencibia's -11 was the worst in the league. Are teams too focused on catching D or are our current fielding metrics for catching not advanced enough to fairly determine this? Lavarnway probably has a better bat than Arencibia, as long as he's not the worst fielding catcher in the bigs he should be better than Jarred (30%K) Saltalamacchia.

Marc Hulet:*This is a tough question because I'm really not a Salty fan and I really like Lavarnway's bat. But most managers will want to stick with the known entity. And, yeah, Lavarnway's 'D' gets pretty "meh" reviews...
    Comment From Michael
    If Bogaerts has a similar year at High-A as he did in the Sally last year, is he a potential top 10 guy next year? (even assuming he continues to outgrow SS)

Marc Hulet:*I'd say definitely Top 20... hard to predict not knowing the other prospects vying for the top of the list...

vCash
    Michael Bowden, stepping up in competition, allowed a single by Andruw Jones before striking out the side. He has thrown 5.2 scoreless innings this spring, allowing one hit and striking out eight.

“I think it’s more of a comfort thing. I feel very comfortable with the players, my teammates and the staff,” he said. “It’s a lot easier to go out there and play and pitch your game when you have that sense of comfort.”

Bowden is clearly feeling a sense of encouragement from Valentine and Bob McClure that he didn't get in the past. Perhaps this season is the year he emerges after a long stint in the organization and a lot of false starts.

"I thought Michael worked the runner as well as I've ever seen him do it on film. He's been practicing his stretch and varying his speeds," Valentine said. "With a very veteran runner on base, Andruw Jones, he really broke his tempo. I think he was trying to steal and he never could. I thought that was good. I thought his stuff down in the zone was good."
    Boston Globe

vCash
    Who needs Punto when we have Ciriaco the hero?

vCash
    Top prospect Ranaudo aiming for assignment to Double-A
    By Brian MacPherson

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Anthony Ranaudo could feel the effects of fatigue.

Making his first start of the spring against an opposing team on Wednesday, Ranaudo -- the consensus top pitching prospect in the organization -- cruised through his first inning of work but hit a batter, walked a batter and allowed a line-drive single to right before escaping the jam in his second.

"For my first outing, I felt like it went pretty well," he said afterward. "I thought I did a good job in the first inning of locating to both sides, down in the zone. The second inning, I could see I was a little fatigued, I was leaving some fastballs up in the zone. But, overall, I felt pretty good, especially about my secondary stuff. It's definitely something I can build off."

Fatigue is normal this early in the spring. Fatigue also is something with which Ranaudo has had to deal before.

Ranaudo cruised through 10 starts at Single-A Greenville in April and May last season, compiling a 3.33 ERA and striking out 50 hitters in 46 innings. He hit some obstacles upon his promotion to Single-A Salem in June, compiling a 4.33 ERA in 16 starts for Salem -- including a 6.30 ERA in six starts in July.

The stock of Ranaudo -- a supplemental first-round draft pick in 2010 -- seems to have taken some hits in the world of prospect evaluation in large part due to those late-season struggles. The Red Sox remain optimistic, as they did throughout last year.

"I know he didn't necessarily dominate from a statistical standpoint, but we thought he had some really good outings down there and he held that level, for a first-year guy, really well," Red Sox assistant general manager Mike Hazen said.

The question now becomes where to place Ranaudo in order to maximize his development -- back at Salem, where he'd probably thrive against less skilled competition, or at Double-A Portland, where he'd encounter more trial by fire.

The same question must be answered for each pitching prospect in the organization. Some answers are easy. Alex Wilson, for example, undoubtedly is going to pitch at Triple-A Pawtucket if his longshot bid for a spot on the major-league roster falls short.

But most minor-league players come to spring training a little bit unsure whether they're going to go back to the level at which they pitched the previous season or be promoted to a more advanced level.

"Hopefully I break with Portland," Ranaudo said. "Obviously, nothing is set in stone, but if I do get that chance, it would be a great experience and I'd definitely be looking forward to the challenge and seeing how my stuff plays out up there."

Simply failing to dominate the advanced Single-A Carolina League would not disqualify Ranaudo from being promoted to Double-A -- nor does it disqualify him from being a top prospect.

Hazen pointed out that Wilson endured even more severe late-season struggles following a promotion to Double-A Portland in 2010 -- a 6.66 ERA in 16 starts starting in mid-June. Wilson followed that up with a 3.11 ERA in 25 starts in 2011 and is considered a candidate to help the Red Sox either as a starter or reliever this season.

The situations were a little different. Wilson did go back to Portland, the same level at which he had his struggles, to get himself straightened out the following year. Ranaudo did not struggle nearly as badly as Wilson did, but he's going to face a steeper challenge if he makes the jump to the next level.

But, still, both were pitching a full season of pro baseball for the first time -- and that's more of an adjustment than one might think.

"First-year pitchers, you've got to be careful evaluating them in August," Hazen said. "These guys have never pitched on a five-day cycle before. ... There's going to be a little downtick. Those guys that don't downtick in August are probably freaks."

As much as Ranaudo tried to prepare for the adjustment to a five-day routine, it still was an adjustment.

"Anytime you make 27 starts and you pitch 120-plus innings in a season, you're definitely going to learn a lot of things, learn a lot about yourself and your stuff. ...
    "There are some things that are going to make your arm feel great sometimes, and there are going to be some things that make your arm feel a little slow. Just making those adjustments, the in-game adjustments, the between-starts adjustments, was the biggest thing for me last year."

A similar dilemma will surface when the Red Sox try to decide what to do with last June's draft picks, the pitchers entering their first full season of baseball.

First-round draft pick Matt Barnes is 21 and pitched three seasons in college for UConn, so he's more likely to jump straight to Single-A Greenville like Ranaudo did. Supplemental first-round pick Henry Owens is 19 and was drafted out of high school, so he's more likely to stay in Fort Myers for extended spring training and head to short-season Single-A Lowell in June.

But nothing ever is set in stone. It all depends on the player.

"There's no formula," Red Sox director of player development Ben Crockett said before spring training began. "There's no set formula that if he does X, Y and Z, he definitely goes here and if he doesn't, he doesn't. It has a lot to do with, to some extent, us getting to know these players. We have quite a history with them on the scouting side. In player development, we got to know them a little bit at the end of last year and in instructional league. That's a key part of it. It's putting together as much information as we can and trying to make an educated decision.

"We're learning, figuring out where we can push some guys, where we should be less aggressive with others. Some of it is personality. Some of it is talent. Some of it is past competition. Some of it is physical development. There are a lot of different factors that go in and make an equation that we try to put together to make those decisions."

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/s...-double-a.html

vCash
    If anyone gets a chance watch some videos on Sox prospect Garin Cecchini. I've been preaching about this kid for a while now and his reviews are through the roof. If he can stay healthy that is. He was slotted to be a easy first round pick a few years back but due to injury we were able to grab him in a later round. The kid does nothing but hit hit and hit and I am soooo excited to see where he ends up because at the end of this year i have a feeling he'll be one of if not THE top guys in the sox system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsallabouttheU View Post
    If anyone gets a chance watch some videos on Sox prospect Garin Cecchini. I've been preaching about this kid for a while now and his reviews are through the roof. If he can stay healthy that is. He was slotted to be a easy first round pick a few years back but due to injury we were able to grab him in a later round. The kid does nothing but hit hit and hit and I am soooo excited to see where he ends up because at the end of this year i have a feeling he'll be one of if not THE top guys in the sox system.
    I like Cecchini a lot too. He has to get healthy first. 3B is getting crowded in the minors.

vCash
    SS Raymel Flores and RHP Dioscar Romero are officially signed by the #redsox after clearing their MLB investigations.
    Jonathan Singer

Bobby V is all in!