Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 106 of 136 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 2029
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston-Born View Post
    Brian Johnson just hit in the face by a liner. Carted off field and taken to hospital.
    Terrible news. Lets hope he is okay

vCash
    Bogaerts 2-3 HR
    Bradley 1-3 BB

Brentz .375/.434/.583 August

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Bogaerts 2-3 HR
    Bradley 1-3 BB

Brentz .375/.434/.583 August
    X Bo adjusting very nicely to AA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    X Bo adjusting very nicely to AA
    Seems like it. Portland has a much friendlier park for hitting than Salem as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar_RA View Post
    Seems like it. Portland has a much friendlier park for hitting than Salem as well.
    XB seems to be tearing it up in his short time with the Seadogs. I don't know if it's the park, or the small sample size, or that he's just hot at this instant. Still, it does make me wonder if there's a chance we might see him in late 2013, if he keeps on tearing up minor league pitching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    XB seems to be tearing it up in his short time with the Seadogs. I don't know if it's the park, or the small sample size, or that he's just hot at this instant. Still, it does make me wonder if there's a chance we might see him in late 2013, if he keeps on tearing up minor league pitching.
    Im with ya man, god that would be great.

vCash
    I think the recent call-up of Machado has shown that it's definitely possible. Don't know if I want that (starts the clock), it depends on many factors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SirHizz View Post
    I think the recent call-up of Machado has shown that it's definitely possible. Don't know if I want that (starts the clock), it depends on many factors.
    Oh, I'm with ya on the service time clock, though recently someone pointed out that September call-ups don't count against service time. (Don't know if it's true, but thought I'd mention it.)

I like how the Sox handled Ellbury in his major league call-ups. He got a cup-o-coffee call-up some time in June or July for something like 3-4 days, that was mostly just to get his feet wet. I don't think that he played his first game up, because they wanted him to just sit on the bench and get over the butterflies. Then he played 2-3 games and got sent back to AAA. Then later in August, he got called up permanently, and looked good to go right from the start.

I'd love to see a similar model for XB, but I worry about exactly what position he'll be playing. That is, unless they intend to keep him at SS, they'd better start thinking about some positional cross-training, so that he doesn't have to learn 3B or the OF at the major league level.

vCash
    XBo doubled and scored a run in first AB.

vCash
    Oh, I'm with ya on the service time clock, though recently someone pointed out that September call-ups don't count against service time. (Don't know if it's true, but thought I'd mention it.)

I like how the Sox handled Ellbury in his major league call-ups. He got a cup-o-coffee call-up some time in June or July for something like 3-4 days, that was mostly just to get his feet wet. I don't think that he played his first game up, because they wanted him to just sit on the bench and get over the butterflies. Then he played 2-3 games and got sent back to AAA. Then later in August, he got called up permanently, and looked good to go right from the start.

I'd love to see a similar model for XB, but I worry about exactly what position he'll be playing. That is, unless they intend to keep him at SS, they'd better start thinking about some positional cross-training, so that he doesn't have to learn 3B or the OF at the major league level.
    I wonder how he'd do in LF? I think eventually hell split time between SS OF and DH

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBoy77 View Post
    I wonder how he'd do in LF? I think eventually hell split time between SS OF and DH
    Who knows? But if they foresee XB playing a lot of OF, then the Sox should start training him to be an OF-er. Maybe have him play OF during winter league ball or something.

vCash
    Who knows? But if they foresee XB playing a lot of OF, then the Sox should start training him to be an OF-er. Maybe have him play OF during winter league ball or something.
    I think they'll wait a little longer just because his offensive development is way more important and they wont want to risk disrupting it. I would say by the end of May next year theyll know for sure if he wil be able to stay at SS, and if/when they decide he has to move hell be transitioned to LF. I think it would be great if he could play RF, but it doesnt seem like he can.

He made 0 errors last month at SS, which is nice even if it ends up being irrelevant.

vCash
    September Call-Ups do count service time, but they don't count against losing Rookie Status.

Still great to see X-Man hitting the ground running.

vCash
    I think they'll wait a little longer just because his offensive development is way more important and they wont want to risk disrupting it. I would say by the end of May next year theyll know for sure if he wil be able to stay at SS, and if/when they decide he has to move hell be transitioned to LF. I think it would be great if he could play RF, but it doesnt seem like he can.

He made 0 errors last month at SS, which is nice even if it ends up being irrelevant.
    It seems to me that such a strategy only pays off if he does stay at SS. But if there's a need to move him, you're in a world of hurt. What happens if the need to move him happens after he's already in the majors? I think that cross-training is a worthwhile thing in player development, and shouldn't be poo-poo'd. If there's a sense that cross-training hurts development, then I'd say that that represents a failure to build a mindset of positional flexibility into the players' minds, setting the players up to fail because they're not mentally flexible enough to play multiple positions without thinking that it's somehow a negative.

vCash

Why can't Bogaerts play SS again? Is he just not that good or is it because he's too big?

If it's because of his size, he's the same size as Machado, who is a good defensive SS. The only reason MM is playing 3B is because of JJ Hardy at SS in Baltimore.