Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 10 of 136 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 2029
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mt. Unpleasant, Michigan
    Posts
    5,171
    vCash
    1500
    It's funny that you say he hates the Yankees even though that was his favorite team growing up. But maybe he is harsher on them because he doesn't want to be accused of liking them. I don't really think he is biased against any team. I really enjoy his writing and evaluations.
    Bring back MacDime

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,803
    vCash
    1500
    It's stupid though. He said our farm was really thin on top which was awful because we've spent alot of money on the draft. I'm sure that trading Rizzo, Kelly and Fuentes, plus Westmoreland having surgery had nothing to do with it. The fact that he focuses on what is close to ML ready instead of the overall outlook of the farm is a bit perplexing.

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Meow
    Posts
    30,908
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    It's stupid though. He said our farm was really thin on top which was awful because we've spent alot of money on the draft. I'm sure that trading Rizzo, Kelly and Fuentes, plus Westmoreland having surgery had nothing to do with it. The fact that he focuses on what is close to ML ready instead of the overall outlook of the farm is a bit perplexing.
    He doesn't only focus on what is ML ready.

    One of the reasons why he liked the Yankees is because of our bottom affiliates:

    I might be jumping the gun here, but I see a lot of star potential on their bottom few affiliates, including new acquisition Jose Campos from Seattle, to go with the two power arms from their Scranton club (Manny Banuelos and Dellin Betances),
    He also has the Padres #1 thanks in large part to their 2011 draft class.

    Without Anthony Rizzo, they no longer have a top-25 prospect in their system, but in terms of total future value of players likely to play significant roles in the big leagues, they're ahead of everyone else. Some of these players, especially from the 2011 draft, will develop into stars.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Meow
    Posts
    30,908
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Caroline View Post
    It's funny that you say he hates the Yankees even though that was his favorite team growing up. But maybe he is harsher on them because he doesn't want to be accused of liking them. I don't really think he is biased against any team. I really enjoy his writing and evaluations.
    I enjoy his writing too and that is one of the reasons I had ESPN insider (not anymore). He's usually very critical of what the Yankees do. This year is the first year where he seems to be giving us props. He was one of the first 'baseball guys' to jump on the Mason Williams' (one of our top prospects) bandwagon midway through last season.
    Last edited by nyyfan4life; 02-08-2012 at 08:14 PM.

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mt. Unpleasant, Michigan
    Posts
    5,171
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    I enjoy his writing too and that is one of the reasons I had ESPN insider (not anymore). He's usually very critical of what the Yankees do. This year is the first year where he seems to be giving us props. He was one of the first 'baseball guys' to jump on the Mason Williams' (one of top prospects) bandwagon midway through last season.
    He's literally the only reason I have insider. Most of the other garbage on espn insider is just that.
    Bring back MacDime

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    35,203
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Caroline View Post
    He just put out Org. rankings today he hasn't released complete team by team lists. I doubt he will still have Iglesias as our #1.
    Oh my bad, I thought that was a list. I like Keith Law, the problems I have with him are that he sticks with early judgments on a lot of players with minimal scouting, and sometimes he tries way too hard to make snarks/be critical. I remember him being ridiculous about Pedroia, saying he would be a career backup IF at best as late as mid-2007.

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    A place called Paradise
    Posts
    13,736
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    He doesn't only focus on what is ML ready.

    One of the reasons why he liked the Yankees is because of our bottom affiliates:



    He also has the Padres #1 thanks in large part to their 2011 draft class.
    So basically this tells me Law is horribly inconsistent
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

  8. #143
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,803
    vCash
    1500
    He hasn't been as hyped as fellow Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, and he can't match Cespedes' flair for YouTube promotion, but some teams believe Soler is the better prospect. He's a 19-year-old athlete with five-tool potential.

    Six-foot-3 and 205 pounds, Soler has explosive bat speed and power potential. He also has plus speed and arm strength and profiles as a classic right fielder, though he runs well enough to play center. Because of his youth, he'll need some time to develop, but he should be worth the wait.

    The 2010 draft had a clear top three prospects in Harper, Taillon and Machado. I'm not sure Soler would have gone ahead of any of them. The Pirates insist they would have taken Taillon over Harper had they picked first rather than second, and five-tool players are harder to find at shortstop (Machado) then in the outfield.

    The less-than-stellar performance record of high-profile Cuban defectors might have worked against Soler, too. All that said, he would have been more attractive then steady middle infielder Christian Colon (No. 4, Royals) or lefthander Drew Pomeranz (No. 5, Indians).

    As for the 2012 Top 100 Prospects list, Soler is somewhat similar to Royals outfielder Bubba Starling, the fifth overall pick in the 2011 draft. Starling has the advantages of being more athletic and a better bet to stay in center field. I'd see both of them sitting in the 11-20 range on our next Top 100.

    Soler is four years younger and more talented than Leonys Martin, another Cuban outfielder who signed a $15.6 million major league contract with the Rangers in April. Once Soler is cleared to sign with a major league team, he's expected to top Martin's deal.

    The new CBA provides for a $2.9 million international cap for each team for the 2012-13 signing period, which doesn't start until July 2. As long as Soler signs before then, he won't be subject to the cap. And even if he were, he's talented enough and the penalties for busting the cap are so light (a 100-percent tax on the overage and a prohibition on signing any international player for more than $250,000 in the next signing period) that I bet several clubs would be willing to exceed the $2.9 million.
    Baseball America regarding Soler, I can't stress how bad I want us to sign him.

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bergen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,383
    vCash
    1500
    Sure, but I bet every team wants to sign him.

    Bobby V is all in!

  10. #145
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,803
    vCash
    1500
    How many teams can afford to give up tht type of cheddar? Not many.

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,803
    vCash
    1500
    Bogaerts (#62) and Swihart (#100) made ESPN/Keith Law's Top 100.

    Middlebrooks and Lavarnway listed in the "10 just missed guys"
    Last edited by AI; 02-09-2012 at 01:22 PM.

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    A place called Paradise
    Posts
    13,736
    vCash
    1500
    yea okk law....
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

  13. #148
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Meow
    Posts
    30,908
    vCash
    1500
    Barnes and Lavarnway should have both been top 100, IMO. Barnes because he's the only prospect (other than Bogaerts) that I really like in your system and Lavarnway because his numbers speak for themselves. He may not be athletic or have a set position but he mashed last year.
    Last edited by nyyfan4life; 02-09-2012 at 02:18 PM.

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    A place called Paradise
    Posts
    13,736
    vCash
    1500
    I don't get how you can rank a guy like Mason Williams so high (above Bogaerts) and than not even mention brandon jacobs

    Law just keeps showing how inconsistent he is.
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Meow
    Posts
    30,908
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    I don't get how you can rank a guy like Mason Williams so high (above Bogaerts) and than not even mention brandon jacobs

    Law just keeps showing how inconsistent he is.
    I think Bogaerts is on the same tier as Gary Sanchez. I have both of them higher than Mason Williams. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if Mason Williams ends up being better than both.

Page 10 of 136 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •