Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 101 of 136 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2029
    vCash
    My Bigger question is the O's have Promoted Bundy to AA

I wish we would do the same with Barnes who has a lower FIP (Barely) and has pitched more innings in A+

Wish we could promote him to AA and have him start there next year
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

vCash
    Barnes is close to an inning limit.

Also Cherrington said Bogaerts might be in AA soon in Gammons interview on NESN.

vCash
    *Untouchables: Barnes, Bogaerts, Bradley Jr., Lavarnway

Everyone else is available in my mind, with pitching in return. I put "*untouchables" because those guys become available in a King Felix deal. Although unlikely, I'd personally do Barnes, Bogaerts, Brentz and Cecchini as a starting package for King Felix.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBoy77 View Post
    I have a true question as to wonder why more teams don't do this?

The Orioles have just called up their top prospect, Machado.

Why don't we call up a guy like Bogaerts or JBJ just to give them some at bats at the Major League level to go into next season with. Even if just off the bench for the last month of the season, I don't think it can really hurt.
    Simple answer, because it starts their service time clock, which would cause them to become arbitration eligible sooner, and thus become much more expensive sooner. Literally, it could cost them millions of dollars in the long run if they called the player up like this.

I think that from the team's perspective, they don't want to call up a prospect until they feel fairly certain that the kid is truly ready to be called up, and the team can maximize its return on the player's talents.

Furthermore calling up Bogaerts would be just plain silly. He's still at single A, for godsakes. At least with JBJr, he's at AA and has been there a little while and is doing well. And there's a fair chance that he'd be able to prosper at the MLB level if called up. But why would they want to? From a business perspective, they probably won't want JBJr's service time to start until the end or near the end of Ellsbury's time with the team, so that the Sox can get every last ounce of control out of the player.

Seriously people, do you ever think of these things when you think about calling up prospects from below AAA?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Simple answer, because it starts their service time clock, which would cause them to become arbitration eligible sooner, and thus become much more expensive sooner. Literally, it could cost them millions of dollars in the long run if they called the player up like this.

I think that from the team's perspective, they don't want to call up a prospect until they feel fairly certain that the kid is truly ready to be called up, and the team can maximize its return on the player's talents.

Furthermore calling up Bogaerts would be just plain silly. He's still at single A, for godsakes. At least with JBJr, he's at AA and has been there a little while and is doing well. And there's a fair chance that he'd be able to prosper at the MLB level if called up. But why would they want to? From a business perspective, they probably won't want JBJr's service time to start until the end or near the end of Ellsbury's time with the team, so that the Sox can get every last ounce of control out of the player.

Seriously people, do you ever think of these things when you think about calling up prospects from below AAA?
    I'm just tossing the idea around not really suggesting it. That makes sense with the service clock. Thanks for the answer but no need for the little remark at the end.

vCash
    JBJ is in the biggest slump of his young career. *home alone face*

vCash
    I'm just tossing the idea around not really suggesting it. That makes sense with the service clock. Thanks for the answer but no need for the little remark at the end.
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. i think that there's a great need for the final comment. There'd be fewer silly ideas thrown around if people just took a few moments to think their ideas thru before posting them.

vCash
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. i think that there's a great need for the final comment. There'd be fewer silly ideas thrown around if people just took a few moments to think their ideas thru before posting them.
    Because I had an honest question about something? Yea you're right let's have more 5 page threads about trading Bobby V.

It's people like you man that make me a little over this forum. I had a question about something. You could've been mature, answered it and moved on. I DID think it through. And I wasn't sure. I'm a much bigger basketball and football guy even though I played high school baseball. I was just wondering to gain a little more knowledge. Thats all. Not trying to ruffle your feathers.

vCash
    Wow, either catching talent in the IL is really sparse, or Lavarnway has done an excellent job of improving his catching skills!!!

BTW, I'm impressed by those 6 separate awards that JBJr won.
    Note that the awards were from his A+ days.

I have a true question as to wonder why more teams don't do this?

The Orioles have just called up their top prospect, Machado.

Why don't we call up a guy like Bogaerts or JBJ just to give them some at bats at the Major League level to go into next season with. Even if just off the bench for the last month of the season, I don't think it can really hurt.
    For most of their recent history the Sox have been involved in a playoff hunt and they felt that too many bodies in the clubhouse were a distraction in that effort. That's tended to keep their number of September promotions down and reduce the number of "cup o' coffee" types.

Yeah, to a point. Service time after Sep 1 does not count so bringing a kid up for two or three weeks at this point in the season does not hurt that much. You're only talking about 0.1-0.15 yrs service time.

vCash
    So is there a reason as to why Cecchini absent since last Friday?

vCash
    Because I had an honest question about something? Yea you're right let's have more 5 page threads about trading Bobby V.

It's people like you man that make me a little over this forum. I had a question about something. You could've been mature, answered it and moved on. I DID think it through. And I wasn't sure. I'm a much bigger basketball and football guy even though I played high school baseball. I was just wondering to gain a little more knowledge. Thats all. Not trying to ruffle your feathers.
    I didn't see an honest question. I saw a suggestion posed as a rhetorical question. And for the record, I happen to believe that my reply was completely mature. If you wanted to gain a little knowledge, you should have posed a "gaining knowledge" question, not a "here's an idea" rhetorical question.

As for ruffling feathers, you may not be "trying", but you're certainly managing to do it regardless with your assertions of my supposed immaturity.

vCash
    I didn't see an honest question. I saw a suggestion posed as a rhetorical question. And for the record, I happen to believe that my reply was completely mature. If you wanted to gain a little knowledge, you should have posed a "gaining knowledge" question, not a "here's an idea" rhetorical question.

As for ruffling feathers, you may not be "trying", but you're certainly managing to do it regardless with your assertions of my supposed immaturity.
    so saying "i have a true question as to why more teams don't do this?" is stating it wrong? lol. alright bro.

vCash
    Oh, and BTW, about calling prospects up from below AAA, here's another reason: Most of them probably aren't on the 40 man roster, so calling them up would require putting them on the 40 man roster... which, if the 40MR is already full, would require removing someone already on it. And since players #26-40 on the 40MR roster are sort of like the team's taxi squad, anyone you put on the 40 MR had better be someone you can see calling up to the big club in case of injury, etc.

I don't see Bogearts as a good player to move to the 40 MR because I just don't think that he's close enough to being ready that the Sox would want him taking up a 40MR roster spot. However, JBJr is close enough it's not entirely impossible that the Sox might call him up in September, and I could see him being worthy of an injury related call-up, thus making his presence on the 40 MR justifiable and not a waste of the roster spot. Frankly, I think that it's a bit early to be calling up JBJr (as a Sept callup), but not ridiculously so.

vCash
    so saying "i have a true question as to why more teams don't do this?" is stating it wrong? lol. alright bro.
    It came off as "I want the Sox to call-up Bogearts or JBJr, so why aren't they?", rather than "is there a reason the Sox don't do call-ups like this?"

vCash
    It came off as "I want the Sox to call-up Bogearts or JBJr, so why aren't they?", rather than "is there a reason the Sox don't do call-ups like this?"
    Well then I apologize. Truly. I really meant it in a wondering why teams don't do this rather than me wanting to. Thanks for the clarification. Go sox.