Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysHabs View Post
    I think Roy would be a good fit. He has been helping the Ramparts develop into a good team in the Q, that may or may not translate to success in the NHL. Obviously the best options in my mind were Boucher and Muller but Gauthier has always been reactive than proactive. Steve Shutt, Robinson, JJ Daignauelt.
    They need someone that is a hot-head I think, someone that will yell at the Refs, yell at the players and not just stand there like Martin did. Someone that will have an attacking style rather than get a lead and go into a defensive shell and hope Price closes the door.

When the Habs were coached by Bowman, he would tear the Refs a new one if there was a bad call, who do you think got the next penalty, the other team. Bowman intimidated the heck out of people, I think Roy could do that too.
    Yeah, my brother and I both agreed on Muller and Boucher when both left. Congrats to both of them on their success. Another move (or should I say non-move) that eats me up inside. I don't know how you didn't leave yourself a backup plan in case things go sour. I know Cunneyworth has lots of experience but all you heard for couple of years was praise for both Boucher and Muller. Imo, I don't think Roy is fit for the HC job. He has fire and passion but I don't think he's ready to take on the role yet.

vCash
    But honestly, maybe its best for Muller and Boucher to be elsewhere, at least with Carolina and TB they have great hockey minds and human beings alike in Rutherford and Yzerman, rather than MR. Gauthier.
    My friend is an assistant coach with Muller in Carolina and I asked him when Muller got there if he was happy that Muller was the coach (lets not get into how lame and boring he thought Maurice was), he said Muller was great. I then asked him what Muller thought about his time in MTL, Dave told me Muller hated Gauthier. That pretty much sums it up for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hawks4life View Post
    I agree with alot of these. I was just saying to my wife on how overrated Cammelleri is. I watched him out here in Calgary and he was pretty good but he was playing with Iginla. I would love to see him go while he still has some trade value... Even if its a 2nd rounder, or whatever.

I like the deal for B. Ryan. I don't know if Anaheim would do it as Kostitsyn is a floater too and a UFA at the end of the season. But I think he has the skill to thrive elsewhere.

Would love to see Kaberle and Markov go but is anyone going to take them? I mean, both of them are highly over paid. At least Kaberle has been producing. I hate even saying the name Markov.

As I stated in another post, I didn't think Martin was to blame for this. This is all on Gauthier. How you could sign Markov to the extension he got, I don't know. He slowly dismantled this team like Sutter did to the Flames. I'm not sure who goes down as Habs worst GM, Gauthier or Houle, but it's a tight race. Even this latest dimissal of Martin was a stupid thing to do. Whether you think he was the right man for the job or not, rarely does a team pick up their heals after a major move like that. It was out of desperation to keep his job and it will come back to bite him because its going to be a lot worse before the end of the season. This team has no direction now. They looked horrible tonight other than about 5 to 7 minutes in the middle of the 2nd period.
    I believe you are absolutely spot on in your last paragraph. This is not Jacques Martins' fault, this team seems to have been contructed to fail.

Similarly to what JayHabs and I have been discussing, I think you can agree with us that this team needs a complete overhaul. Gauthier has done an absolutely terrible job with his contruction of this team. I did like the Erik Cole signing however. At least he has some size.

The rest, including the Cammalleri signing, the Gomez trade and even Gionta, while all were good players in there own respect, they seemed to just keep adding to a smallish line-up already, and now, unfortunately, they are paying the price.

I watched the first period of last nights' game in Chicago. Again, you werer/are spot on in your observation.................... another long season I can only assume...................

vCash
    But honestly, maybe its best for Muller and Boucher to be elsewhere, at least with Carolina and TB they have great hockey minds and human beings alike in Rutherford and Yzerman, rather than MR. Gauthier.
    My friend is an assistant coach with Muller in Carolina and I asked him when Muller got there if he was happy that Muller was the coach (lets not get into how lame and boring he thought Maurice was), he said Muller was great. I then asked him what Muller thought about his time in MTL, Dave told me Muller hated Gauthier. That pretty much sums it up for me.
    Gauthier to me seems more like a puppet, rather than a hockey person, or rather a business guy first, hockey second. Not many of his moves have made much sense if you are looking at it from a hockey perspective.

I'm glad for Muller. Great guy, great player, and I can pretty much assume that he will transition into a good Head Coach as well.

vCash
    Have to remember that it was Gainey (I think he was already losing it) who traded for Gomez ("if we didnt have Gomez we wouldnt of got Gionta or Cammy"). If that doesnt go down as one of the worse trades ever, especially since McDonaugh is playing really solid hockey for the Rangers, I dont know what will (maybe the Kaberle pickup -- long-term, if they cant dump him at the deadline).

Cole has been great, almost everytime he gets the puck its pretty exciting. If Pacioretty can pick his game up to pre-suspension thats a solid line, although a real top-line centre would make that line so much better (nothing against DD, he tries).

vCash
    Have to remember that it was Gainey (I think he was already losing it) who traded for Gomez ("if we didnt have Gomez we wouldnt of got Gionta or Cammy"). If that doesnt go down as one of the worse trades ever, especially since McDonaugh is playing really solid hockey for the Rangers, I dont know what will (maybe the Kaberle pickup -- long-term, if they cant dump him at the deadline).

Cole has been great, almost everytime he gets the puck its pretty exciting. If Pacioretty can pick his game up to pre-suspension thats a solid line, although a real top-line centre would make that line so much better (nothing against DD, he tries).
    Oh Yeah, you're right about Gainey. Completely forgot during my rant about Gauthier. Just seems like one of his dumb moves though, yes? LOL

Now to me, I'm not personally too bad with the Kaberle trade. Heavy contract, yes. Played poorly up to the time of his departure with the Hurricanes? Yes. For some reason however, I think he will fair not too bad in Montreal. He will never be confused with a Norris trophy candidate, or a top 5 stay at home D-man, but I think he can really help the PP.

Overall, I don't think it was the worst deal that could have happened, although, one could argue, that with only this season remaining on Spacek's deal, and taking on the rest of Kaberle's may have been foolish. Time will tell. For the present, I'm ok with it, but I'm sure if one was to look on here in a year or two, that opinion may change.

Cole is a good hockey player. I totally agree, that If the Habs could ever pull the trigger and get a bona-fide top line center, I think he could be a 35 goal guy easily................

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hawks4life View Post
    Yeah, my brother and I both agreed on Muller and Boucher when both left. Congrats to both of them on their success. Another move (or should I say non-move) that eats me up inside. I don't know how you didn't leave yourself a backup plan in case things go sour. I know Cunneyworth has lots of experience but all you heard for couple of years was praise for both Boucher and Muller. Imo, I don't think Roy is fit for the HC job. He has fire and passion but I don't think he's ready to take on the role yet.
    I can see where you're coming from here.

I live in the Maritimes, here on the East Coast, and watched Roy against the Moncton Wildcats and Acadie/ Bathurst Titans with the Remparts. Definitely passionate, almost to the point of lunacy at times, but was/is successful.

That doesn't neccesarily transition to success at an NHL level, and I can see that. For whatever reason though, with the Habs especially, the right coach, isn't always the one who gets the job. The name you "know", or the allumnists, always seem to be the guys to appease the media appetite, and be the so-called "answer".

Roy would definitely bring that "in your face" type of coaching, and you know, I think maybe it's time for some of that.............

vCash
    I've been reading up on some draft eligible players for 2012-2014, although at this point there is no superstar (ie. Crosby, Ovechkin, etc.) there are some top 1,2 Dmen and definite top 6 forwards to be had.

At this point, especially after last year and so far this year, I would be very patient if the Habs didnt make the playoffs say for the next few years and did a re-build. They never had a true re-build, just underachieving veterans that were signed ie. Gionta, Cammy.

Maybe 3 straight top 5 draft picks paired with possibly numerous 1st rounders through trades (ideally Cammy, Markov, Kaberle, Desharnais, Gionta and even Cole ((although I like him)).

Moving forward, keeping a core of Pleks (maybe tradeable for a true #1 Center), Patches (1st/2nd line), Price, Eller (I think Eller could be a #2), PK, Gorges, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu,(thats a pretty decent 5 for defence, size, toughness, skill) Leblanc (2nd line), Kristo (3rd line), White (4th line), Moen (3rd/4th line) would be a start. Mix in some decent young UFAs and some high-end draft picks and you at least would be a fun young team to watch. Not one that floats through games at times, are old and collect fat paycheques.

But as mentioned previously the Habs really need a true #1 center, a big point getting 1st line winger, 1 or 2 more pluggers, and 1 stud Dman (Suter, Weber).

I guess we can talk all day about this, but until Molson gets some balls and fires Gauthier, it will be year after year of mediocrity and middle of the pack draft picks.

vCash
    Great to see that we locked up Gorges for the next 6 years. He should be our next captain.

vCash
    Hey Taffi, I'm from the maritimes too. Live in Calgary for the past 10 years, but originally from Saint John. Where are you from?

vCash
    I would not mind seeing a few more hard nose and hard hitting defensive players...and we could tell Subban to stop giving the other team the puck right in front of our net.

vCash
    GM - Pierre Lacroix

Head Coach- Patrick Roy

Trade Gomez to a team struggling to make the salary cap floor (Florida/Phoenix...) if not send him to the minors to rid his contract off the books.

Trade Markov and his knee when he finally looks healthy for a 3rd or 4th round pick, again another contract off the books.

Bring up Gallagher and Bealieu in 2013.

Sign a stud through free agency with the free'd up cash.

Then you'll see alot of winning.
    WTA's Next Rising Superstar - #7 in the World

Montreal's Sweetheart Eugenie Bouchard

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Sox Fan View Post
    GM - Pierre Lacroix

Head Coach- Patrick Roy

Trade Gomez to a team struggling to make the salary cap floor (Florida/Phoenix...) if not send him to the minors to rid his contract off the books.

Trade Markov and his knee when he finally looks healthy for a 3rd or 4th round pick, again another contract off the books.

Bring up Gallagher and Bealieu in 2013.

Sign a stud through free agency with the free'd up cash.

Then you'll see alot of winning.
    Patrick roy doesn't work right yet as a head coach, unless you are talking about just plain old caving into the pressure to sign a francophone coach to appease the mouvement Quebecois or whatever the exact name of the protesting faction is.

Gomez is untradeable right now. He has no value, even if you are trying to just dump salary, nobody takes him. You can't bury him in the minors, (you're thinking along the lines of Wade Redden in NY?)as I'm pretty sure his money still counts against the cap.

Markov I doubt will ever be healthly enough to even make a difference. He will return at some point, play 32 games, then be out again for another 13 months with whatever knee injury he hasn't had yet.

We've posted back and forth in the Red Sox forum, so I know you're well aware of media presence, pressure in Boston, well, the same applies here in Montreal. As much as I would like to dismantle the team and have a full blown re-build, you can't do that in Montreal. Similar to Boston, you have to "re-tool" not re-build.

I would love to see them dump all these over-priced salaries, Cammalleri, Gomez, Markov, Gill etc.. but the harsh reality is they haven't done too well in the FA department, so I would suggest maybe trying to aquire that big, top tier forward to build around via trade.....

vCash
    Well thats one lazy no good high priced bum gone off the team, only need to ship out Markov, Kaberle, Gill, Kostitsyn, Moen, Darche and Gomez.

I can live with a few season of terrible Habs teams if it means a true rebuild. The NHL has changed and PG aint the one to see that (or do anything about it). We need a young GM that will take a chance once in awhile.

Go Habs

vCash
    Well thats one lazy no good high priced bum gone off the team, only need to ship out Markov, Kaberle, Gill, Kostitsyn, Moen, Darche and Gomez.

I can live with a few season of terrible Habs teams if it means a true rebuild. The NHL has changed and PG aint the one to see that (or do anything about it). We need a young GM that will take a chance once in awhile.

Go Habs
    I could live with a couple of seasons of "terrible", if it were for the right reasons.

With the direction they are currently taking, there is no light at the end of the tunnel, as they just keep going in circles.

A couple of seasons when you know they are in full re-build, is easier to sell when the team is playing poorly, rather the trying to pass off the constant parade of over-priced, stop-gaps they have been trying to plug in........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast