Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

How to fix the Habs

Everyone has their opinions on how we can fix the NHL team that we love. Well my team is and always has been the Habs (and through the next few tough years). How would I try and fix my Habs:

Once a good competent management team is in place:

1. Trade Cammy and B. Gallagher to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan. Cammy is a floater, Ive watched every game this year, last year, he floats, watch him. And giving up Gallagher, although talented, is another smaller player that we dont need and I think a former high draft pick would be needed to sway Murray to give up Ryan, unless our GM could trick Murray into thinking Cammy would be a great fit alongside Getzlaf and Perry and we fleece him for Etem, Holland or Rakell.

2. Trade Kostitsyn and 2nd Rounder to Vancouver for Kevin Bieksa (is this enough? too much?).

3. Either send Gomez to Hamilton and eat that salary for the next 2 years or trade him for absolutely anything.

The next 2 moves are based on improved play until the trade deadline and any play at all.

4. Trade Kaberle and Markov (maybe throw in Desharnais if needed, I know he has been decent, but moving forward is he really a top 6) at the deadline for prospects or picks, no matter what.

5. If I can get Clarkson from NJ I go for it.

6. Release Mathieu Darche.

Moving forward (with a lottery pick in 2012 draft) the Habs would have cap space to sign some UFAs and re-sign Price, Gorges, and Subban long-term.

I would go out and sign Gaustad to anchor our 4th line and take important face-offs and Brandon Prust and Cody McLeod. I break the bank and go after Ryan Suter and sign Johnny Boychuk.

Make no mistake these moves are done because their current teams havent re-signed them and we can outbid everyone else. Obviously, not everything can fall into place, but this is what I would do.

So now heading into 2012-2013 the Habs I've assembled look like this:

Gionta - Pleks - B. Ryan (size, speed and a shooter)
    Cole - Eller - Pacioretty (this line is big and fast)
    Prust - Leblanc - Danny Kristo (speed, toughness, possibly some scoring from LL and DK)
    McLeod - Gaustad - Ryan White (defense first, toughness)

Suter - Subban
    Gorges - Bieksa
    Boychuk - Emelin (would love to see another kid here, Beaulieu or Tinnordi, maybe Nash)

Price
    Ramo

Well thats what I would like to do, you add lots of toughness, size, speed, defensive forwards, puck moving D-men. You are younger and salary cap friendly depending on how much you have to pay PK, Price, Suter, Boychuk, Gaustad, Prust and McLeod. At least we would beat the crap out of the Leafs, Bruins and Flyers for once (physically that is).

What do you think and thanks for reading (Bored at work and miserable about the state of my Habs).

vCash
    I would love that team but I don't think the Habs would be able to turn over the roster that drastically.
    Perfection.

vCash
    I would love that team as well. Although I'd rather trade Leblanc than Gallagher. I haven't a clue what people's fascination is with this guy. Looks like a future decent 3rd liner to me. He definitely needs to get stronger. But they won't trade him right away because he's french.

Another thing is, Trevor Timmins needs to go so he stops drafting dwarfs like himself.

I just can't ever see the team making these moves based on how tough that team is. It would be way too logical to try and become tougher to match up with the Bruins and Flyers.

And you are right about Cammalleri. All that facker does is float and he's a chicken shat. Last night, there were numerous times he took bad routes to the puck on purpose so he wouldn't get to the puck in the corner first because Chara was there. Pissed me off.

vCash
    I mean some of those moves arent too bad, maybe through in Diaz and Weber for decorating purposes. Just the thought of having a big tough team, instead of guys like Cammy (your right one nut). At least Gionta goes in the corners.

Really other than prying away Bieksa (maybe instead of the 2nd rounder, thats where Weber comes into play, although cant see him playing in the west), getting Ryan is legit. Clarkson would be cool.

Through Roy behind the bench and you got a pretty tough, talented team right from head coach down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysHabs View Post
    Everyone has their opinions on how we can fix the NHL team that we love. Well my team is and always has been the Habs (and through the next few tough years). How would I try and fix my Habs:

Once a good competent management team is in place:

1. Trade Cammy and B. Gallagher to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan. Cammy is a floater, Ive watched every game this year, last year, he floats, watch him. And giving up Gallagher, although talented, is another smaller player that we dont need and I think a former high draft pick would be needed to sway Murray to give up Ryan, unless our GM could trick Murray into thinking Cammy would be a great fit alongside Getzlaf and Perry and we fleece him for Etem, Holland or Rakell.

2. Trade Kostitsyn and 2nd Rounder to Vancouver for Kevin Bieksa (is this enough? too much?).

3. Either send Gomez to Hamilton and eat that salary for the next 2 years or trade him for absolutely anything.

The next 2 moves are based on improved play until the trade deadline and any play at all.

4. Trade Kaberle and Markov (maybe throw in Desharnais if needed, I know he has been decent, but moving forward is he really a top 6) at the deadline for prospects or picks, no matter what.

5. If I can get Clarkson from NJ I go for it.

6. Release Mathieu Darche.

Moving forward (with a lottery pick in 2012 draft) the Habs would have cap space to sign some UFAs and re-sign Price, Gorges, and Subban long-term.

I would go out and sign Gaustad to anchor our 4th line and take important face-offs and Brandon Prust and Cody McLeod. I break the bank and go after Ryan Suter and sign Johnny Boychuk.

Make no mistake these moves are done because their current teams havent re-signed them and we can outbid everyone else. Obviously, not everything can fall into place, but this is what I would do.

So now heading into 2012-2013 the Habs I've assembled look like this:

Gionta - Pleks - B. Ryan (size, speed and a shooter)
    Cole - Eller - Pacioretty (this line is big and fast)
    Prust - Leblanc - Danny Kristo (speed, toughness, possibly some scoring from LL and DK)
    McLeod - Gaustad - Ryan White (defense first, toughness)

Suter - Subban
    Gorges - Bieksa
    Boychuk - Emelin (would love to see another kid here, Beaulieu or Tinnordi, maybe Nash)

Price
    Ramo

Well thats what I would like to do, you add lots of toughness, size, speed, defensive forwards, puck moving D-men. You are younger and salary cap friendly depending on how much you have to pay PK, Price, Suter, Boychuk, Gaustad, Prust and McLeod. At least we would beat the crap out of the Leafs, Bruins and Flyers for once (physically that is).

What do you think and thanks for reading (Bored at work and miserable about the state of my Habs).
    Seems like alot of turn over, as the previous poster stated.

1. Cammalleri is a tough sell right now. I doubt very much you move him, and get that kind of quality in return. Cap hit is almost a wash I think, but the 6 years(age) or so in the difference between them might be hard to overlook on Anaheims' part.

2. Bieksa has a big salary, and is prone to injury. Missed almost 100+ games over the past 5 or so years.

3. Would be nice to just tuck Gomez away somewhere and forget all about his dismal play, but unfortunately that is not the case. An absolute albatross contract, terrible trade at the time, and the Habs are now paying the price. You have to use him when he is healthy and get some sort of return on your investment. No way he is moved. No one would take that contract hit. Probably the most un-movable guy in the league.

4. Kaberle, even with that contract, and poor play to start the year, may have some appeal to a play-off contender. Markov, no way. With almost $6M in cap hit, and his track record of injury, you would be selling for pennies on the dollar, and I just can't see anyone taking a risk on him, until he played lets say, almost a full season, injury free.

5. Clarkson doesn't have alot of real skill, or natural talent, not a natural offensively gifted guy.

6. This one makes little difference

Overall, I like the idea of just blowing up the team, and starting over. Some very poor decisions have left them a touch hamstrung when looking to deal.

The Habs have done a terrible job in the draft for the most part over the past 30 years. I've been a fan for 40 years years now, and have been watching since the mid 70's.

The team is small, and not extremely skilled at the moment. They need a top 10-15 guy in the league, and try and build around him. They don't have that difference maker, that they have been sorely missing for years. They can change the coaches all they want, but until they get a top forward, league-wise, and re-mold the team, they will be just going in circles...................

vCash
    Like I said, I would love to have a tough team. But our history shows that we go the other route. Small, skilled and speedy. I don't see Gauthier trying to make this team tougher. As stupid as that sounds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Like I said, I would love to have a tough team. But our history shows that we go the other route. Small, skilled and speedy. I don't see Gauthier trying to make this team tougher. As stupid as that sounds.
    I agree.

Like I said earlier, they have drafted terrible over the past 30 years. They seem to be enamoured with these small forwards, and the bigger guys they do draft, don't pan out, or have little skill-set.

Poor management, poor management decisions, and allowing the media to dictate seemingly how the team is run/constructed have been this franchises' downfall over the past decade plus.

vCash
    I cant argue with you Taffi, you are right on when you say they need a top point getter. They havent had a difference maker (not counting goalies) since probably Lafluer (maybe Richer), a natural sniper, who could just swoop in from the wing and score. (different game back then, but still had to put the puck in the net).

Is Molson really influenced by the media and the Quebec community as well?

They do need help, but by sending Gomez to the minors ala Wade Redden, shipping off Cammy, Kaberle and Kostitsyn for toughness (maybe Bieksa is injury prone, but his character is what the Habs need) is just a start at the overhaul. I would think a deal with Cammy, Gallagher and Weber would land Ryan (some people would say thats too much, but those are the same fans that love Cammy for the 13 goals he scored in
    the '10 playoffs. Getting rid of that salary would allow some FAs to be signed, and really all you need is some pluggers from FA if you have those top 2 lines I stated earlier (they arent the all-star game players but not bad either).

This is better until you get that big time player, and at least you might as well beat 'em in the corners.

vCash
    I cant argue with you Taffi, you are right on when you say they need a top point getter. They havent had a difference maker (not counting goalies) since probably Lafluer (maybe Richer), a natural sniper, who could just swoop in from the wing and score. (different game back then, but still had to put the puck in the net).

Is Molson really influenced by the media and the Quebec community as well?

They do need help, but by sending Gomez to the minors ala Wade Redden, shipping off Cammy, Kaberle and Kostitsyn for toughness (maybe Bieksa is injury prone, but his character is what the Habs need) is just a start at the overhaul. I would think a deal with Cammy, Gallagher and Weber would land Ryan (some people would say thats too much, but those are the same fans that love Cammy for the 13 goals he scored in
    the '10 playoffs. Getting rid of that salary would allow some FAs to be signed, and really all you need is some pluggers from FA if you have those top 2 lines I stated earlier (they arent the all-star game players but not bad either).

This is better until you get that big time player, and at least you might as well beat 'em in the corners.
    LaFleur was a great player, and a nice guy. I met him way back in the early to mid 80's, I can't quite recall. He was definitely a difference maker.

Please, I don't want you to read into me picking apart your trade scenarios, as that was absolutely not my intent, rather just rambling on my part.

I like the direction you've taken. This team as it stands now,has very little toughness, and I think they have to get bigger, grittier, and more bullish in order to compete in their division, conference or to go deep into the play-offs.

If I'm a rival GM, I don't make the trade for Ryan, unless I feel I've won the trade. Cammalleri to me is a harder sell to pass off as the "winning" piece of a deal, but that's just me.

Bieksa to me seems to be a little bit of a "could of, would of, or should of" type player, who would tease and torment you with great, tough play, but missing time fairly consistently because of the nagging injuries that come with his type of play.

I did the rough math with the deals, and I think you may shed about $24M with the subtractions, and with the additions adding around $26M, coupled with UFA contracts to Subban and Price, I think you are close to the Cap or a touch under it.

Gomez, well, that is just a terrible contract/trade/ call it what you want predicament. I still believe you have to try and get something of value, be it in game play, or a combination of trade/ eat some salary, or something.

I agree, that some form of salary shedding, or moving certain players out is needed. It's a tough call though, when you talk in terms of aquiring new talent. Some players just don't transition well to Montreal, albeit the pressure, the constant scrutiny by the media, or the language issue that can come into play, which takes me back to my earlier comment about the media dictating how things are run.

Hopefully though, thing can turn around, and a nice run into the play-offs is in the cards this year.............................

vCash
    taffi, by no means am I offended or take your comments as offensive. Thanks for responding to my comments though. I am curious to know what other die-hard Hab fans would like to see done, however, my scenarios (albeit, maybe a little far-fetched) arent overly drastic and may slip under the radar. None of the players are stars and may be had for the proper price (obviously the UFAs will come down to where they want to play). The one thing I would hope for though is Murray remembers how well Cammy did in the West with LA and then Cgy. Maybe thats all he needs is star power on his line for him to sneak in to the play and avoiding contact and hustle.

Thanks

vCash
    taffi, by no means am I offended or take your comments as offensive. Thanks for responding to my comments though. I am curious to know what other die-hard Hab fans would like to see done, however, my scenarios (albeit, maybe a little far-fetched) arent overly drastic and may slip under the radar. None of the players are stars and may be had for the proper price (obviously the UFAs will come down to where they want to play). The one thing I would hope for though is Murray remembers how well Cammy did in the West with LA and then Cgy. Maybe thats all he needs is star power on his line for him to sneak in to the play and avoiding contact and hustle.

Thanks
    I think you're right on the money about Cammalleri. He seems like a better fit for a Western Conference team. Generally to me at least, dating back to the Oiler days of the early 80's, the west has always seemed to be a little more free-wheeling, and I think that is what M.C. needs, not the clutching, grabbing defensive side of the East.

I hear Patrick Roy's name being thrown around now as a poosible new head coach? Hear anymore about that?

vCash
    I think Roy would be a good fit. He has been helping the Ramparts develop into a good team in the Q, that may or may not translate to success in the NHL. Obviously the best options in my mind were Boucher and Muller but Gauthier has always been reactive than proactive. Steve Shutt, Robinson, JJ Daignauelt.

They need someone that is a hot-head I think, someone that will yell at the Refs, yell at the players and not just stand there like Martin did. Someone that will have an attacking style rather than get a lead and go into a defensive shell and hope Price closes the door.

When the Habs were coached by Bowman, he would tear the Refs a new one if there was a bad call, who do you think got the next penalty, the other team. Bowman intimidated the heck out of people, I think Roy could do that too.

vCash
    I think Roy would be a good fit. He has been helping the Ramparts develop into a good team in the Q, that may or may not translate to success in the NHL. Obviously the best options in my mind were Boucher and Muller but Gauthier has always been reactive than proactive. Steve Shutt, Robinson, JJ Daignauelt.

They need someone that is a hot-head I think, someone that will yell at the Refs, yell at the players and not just stand there like Martin did. Someone that will have an attacking style rather than get a lead and go into a defensive shell and hope Price closes the door.

When the Habs were coached by Bowman, he would tear the Refs a new one if there was a bad call, who do you think got the next penalty, the other team. Bowman intimidated the heck out of people, I think Roy could do that too.
    I agree. Roy may add that spark so to speak, and his in your face, no bull**** attitude, may go a long way at least, in trying to energize a few of the slackers.

I haven't read the article yet mentioning him (Roy), so I'm not sure if he is really being considered, or if it just media innuendo and speculation.

vCash
    I agree with alot of these. I was just saying to my wife on how overrated Cammelleri is. I watched him out here in Calgary and he was pretty good but he was playing with Iginla. I would love to see him go while he still has some trade value... Even if its a 2nd rounder, or whatever.

I like the deal for B. Ryan. I don't know if Anaheim would do it as Kostitsyn is a floater too and a UFA at the end of the season. But I think he has the skill to thrive elsewhere.

Would love to see Kaberle and Markov go but is anyone going to take them? I mean, both of them are highly over paid. At least Kaberle has been producing. I hate even saying the name Markov.

As I stated in another post, I didn't think Martin was to blame for this. This is all on Gauthier. How you could sign Markov to the extension he got, I don't know. He slowly dismantled this team like Sutter did to the Flames. I'm not sure who goes down as Habs worst GM, Gauthier or Houle, but it's a tight race. Even this latest dimissal of Martin was a stupid thing to do. Whether you think he was the right man for the job or not, rarely does a team pick up their heals after a major move like that. It was out of desperation to keep his job and it will come back to bite him because its going to be a lot worse before the end of the season. This team has no direction now. They looked horrible tonight other than about 5 to 7 minutes in the middle of the 2nd period.

vCash
    ^Sorry about that... I got the post mixed up. I thought you said Kostitsyn and Gallagher for Ryan. But nonetheless, I think Kostitsyn will be a hard sell to anyone as he is a UFA. I would hate to give up Gallagher... Maybe Nash?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast