Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    You mean when he stops pitching like "I am Sam". It's all mental with Pelf because physically he has the tools to be a very good pitcher. I believe he'll end up being one of those throw in guys in a trade in July.
    How many above average MLB pitches does Pelfrey have?
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

Crossed the Rubicon, let the bridge be burned
    vCash
    Scutaro traded to Col

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox, looking to free up money to pursue either starting pitcher Roy Oswalt or outfielder Cody Ross, have traded shortstop Marco Scutaro to the Colorado Rockies.

The Red Sox received right-handed pitcher Clayton Mortensen in return. Mortensen, 26, is a former first-round sandwich pick in 2007 by St. Louis, who sent Mortensen to Oakland in the deal for outfielder Matt Holliday. The Rockies acquired Mortensen for a minor league player last January; the Red Sox become his fourth big league organization.
    So you can lock this up.
    RIP Paul Kuznetz aka uapeople

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    How many above average MLB pitches does Pelfrey have?
    (2) Fastball and sinker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    (2) Fastball and sinker.
    He doesn't even throw a sinker anymore so basically he has an above average fastball with terrible secondaries.

Crossed the Rubicon, let the bridge be burned
    vCash
    He doesn't even throw a sinker anymore so basically he has an above average fastball with terrible secondaries.
    August 01, 2011

So this is about looking ahead now, which sets up an intriguing night as the Mets return to Citi Field. Mike Pelfrey has a chance to make good on his belief that he has rediscovered his once-feared sinker and make a statement of sorts against the Marlins, his personal tormentors.

...Pelfrey is convinced this was more than simply a day when the pieces fell into place. For one thing, Warthen moved him from the third-base side of the rubber more to the middle, giving him more room for his sinker to work down-and-in to righthanded hitters.

...For another, Pelfrey said he believes now that all of his work on developing his secondary pitches was at least partly responsible for the declining effectiveness of the pitch that made him a No. 1 draft pick, his once-nasty sinker he could throw at 94 mph.

"I lost my natural sink because my arm slot changed," he said. "Learning the secondary stuff, I had to get on top more to throw the slider and the splitter, where I had always thrown my sinker from a little lower arm slot.
    So he still throws it but Aug and Sep were the two worst months of his year. Oh..and good job there Dan.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011...s-mike-pelfrey
    Last edited by NoQuarter; 01-22-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    RIP Paul Kuznetz aka uapeople

I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    He should just rework his entire delivery, I feel that batters see the ball out of his hand too easily.

vCash
    Hmmmmmmm

Eric Young Jr: .309/.371/.414 with 13 SB. If he was doing that on the Mets, everyone would love him. Equal home/road splits.

If this deal was ever possible, it was a no-brainer just for the speed factor. Turner is easily replaceable.

vCash
    We should bump the Fernando Martinez Released thread too.

3-run HR tonight
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    We should bump the Fernando Martinez Released thread too.

3-run HR tonight
    But Martinez has been injured again and he hasn't done well in the big leagues yet.

Eric Young has had a very good year. He would have easily been a starter on this pathetic excuse for an outfield. Probably bat lead-off too.

vCash
    Last December rumors started to fly that the Mets were interested in Eric Young Jr., and that offering Justin Turner just might get it done. The rumors resurfaced in August, while Young was putting together a breakout season, but was then cut short by injury that ended his season. I'm not suggesting that a Turner for Young trade is at all viable now, but I wonder if Young is a player that the Mets should target now. I wonder . . .

Was Young's breakout season last year the real deal? It was a small sample, only 196 PAs, but he hit .316 with a .377 OBP. Equally impressive was that his home and away splits were fairly balanced, and as a switch hitter his OPS batting righty was more than 200 points higher than batting lefty (.974 vs. .770) although his lefty hitting was more than respectable. He's an above average fielder, and his speed works to his advantage in CF and as a leadoff hitter.

However, in his prior 3 seasons, also with limited playing time, he was mediocre at the plate, with a career slash line of .266/.339/.339. Making things worse, his awat splits prior to last year were abysmal, making his career slash line on the road .217/.299/.270. He is an efficient base stealer, though, stealing 27 of 31 attempts in 2011 and 14 of 16 in 2012.

My inclination is that he'd be a really good trade target for Alderson. Wondering what others think mow.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    No thanks.

vCash
    Turner won't help COL win any more games and EY JR won't help the NYM win any more games either.... fair trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanthree15 View Post
    How is this a bad move? Turner isn't our starting second basemen and he isn't our 2B of the future. Young can play 2B and outfield while also bringing speed to the game. I'll take the speedy guy who can play 2B, LF,RF, and CF over the guy who is strictly a utility infielder.

He may not be able to hit, but he walks a ton.
    That's the issue. Justin Turner is presently the Mets backup SS -- unless the Mets really think they can carry Brandon Hick's bat on the roster -- but EY Jr has no experience at SS at all. If they dealt JT for EYJ, they'd have to keep Hicks on the 25 man roster. Also, the Mets have more than enough 4th outfielder types.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 12-29-2012 at 03:43 AM.

vCash
    Hicks is replacing Cedeno so he will be on the team.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456