Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goalie Issues

vCash

Goalie Issues

Link
    At some point, the Lightning must make a decision about Dustin Tokarski. It has to know if the organization's top goaltending prospect is ready for the NHL.

If Dwayne Roloson doesn't find his game and soon the timing for Tokarski's trial by fire might be accelerated. General manager Steve Yzerman could call him up from AHL Norfolk for a look.

The callup wouldn't need to be long, a few games perhaps, but enough to give Yzerman a sense of where Tokarski is with his development. It also would give Mathieu Garon a break if he must continue carrying the burden as the de facto No. 1.

This clearly would be a secondary plan.

If Yzerman decides he must make a move in net, certainly he would rather trade for an established goalie, as he did last season when he acquired Roloson from the Islanders.

But getting a goalie is difficult, especially this early in the season, when most teams still are in the playoff hunt and not yet looking to shed players they might not be able to sign for next season.

Getting Roloson on Jan. 1 was a bit of a fluke; New York already was out of contention.

Tokarski, 22, faced an important season this year after missing almost all of training camp with a persistent abdominal injury sustained last season that took two MRI exams to determine it did not require surgery.

It would be interesting if they brought up Dustin Tokarski, Roloson just doesn't seem to have it...

vCash
    Roloson's done. He's looked miserble this season. His play isn't there. Tampa needs a goalie that can actually carry a team. That defense is crap. It's simply garbage. Injuries haven't helped that backend either. This team is probably going to make the playoffs, but can't take out an elite team without a goaltender.

The rumors of Vinny for Luongo is laughable. That's not going to happen.

The best bet, IMO, is to go after one of Enroth, Schenider, or Harding.

vCash
    I'd like Harding for sure, but we have a potential fix within the system I'd want to check that out first. Without a doubt though Tokarski won't be promoted unless they think he's absolutely ready. And yeah, Vinny for Luongo is crap lol...

vCash
    Dustin isn't ready.

Another year and he will be, but he is undersized and still developing.

I was pretty hot on him over the summer if you guys rememeber but after seeing him against the Crunch and Binghamton this year I dont know that he is actually ready for it yet.

That said ... we may have no other option at this point.

Rollie is litterally letting everything that comes at him either rebound 1/2 way down the ice or he just lets it go by.

Love Rollie but its time to hang em up.

Garon is a career backup ...

Makes me wish we had held on to Nitty. He may not be the best goalie in the NHL but its not worse than what we are working with.

vCash
    OT: Mike Smith has been pretty good for the Yotes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    OT: Mike Smith has been pretty good for the Yotes.
    Not really OT lol. He'd be nice to have right now...

vCash
    Smitty put up some good numbers for us after mid season last year.

In retrospect...

I have confidence Stevie Y will pull a goalie out of his hat again this year ... hopefully its in time to make a difference

vCash
    Ok I sniff minor interest in Harding so I am approaching into unknown territory to potentially get chewed up haha, but I would like to discuss what you guys think of possibility (by the way my english isnt the greatest bear with me)

Ive said the past year and a half TB would be a good partner for Minn. for either of our Goalies. Harding young and shows good. Backstrom while older and a higher cap hit once Garon and Roli off books it almost = his contract and then Tokarski could sit and learn (imo Tokarski is 1-2 year away from being ready, must learn angles and lateral movement better to make up for his size) and in 2 years I believe Backy contract is over and Vinny and St Louis are still under contract in two years so its not like he is a patch. And Backy is a better goalie then Harding at least at the moment.

What would you guys realistically be willing to give up? As we are still looking for more prospects of course a prize for us in a trade with TB would be Connely, Panik or Namestnikov. I understand you probably dont want to give up any of them, just like we wouldnt want to give up Brodin, Coyle or Granlund. So any idea? I will pitch mine and feel free to critique

Harding+Jason Zucker+SJ 3rd Rounder Connoly+5th or above+Garon. I would substitute Panik for Connely, but then would want a 4th-5th rounder in return. Zucker is a good prospect but no Panik/Connoly but Harding provides an immediate/potential long term fix at least until Tokarski is ready and can mentor him. Stevie will not rush Tokarski imo, he was part of Detroit and the decision not to rush Howard, I think he will do similar here just not as long as it took Howard.

As far as active roster players there are none I think we would really be interested in, maybe Purcell but we are starting to solidify our top 6 so I dont really know where he would fit. And we wouldnt want any D men. So what ya guys think?

vCash
    Well pidg,

that is one of the more interesting posts in a while.

I wouldnt mind Harding, he does have up side. At the very least he would be a step in the right direction, but lacks playoff experiance, so it would be a gamble.

The last person we need to give thoug is Connely, he and Stammer are going to be the future core we build from (or so I hope).

There are other options than young stars on both teams that are trade bait though.

How about

Harding + Clutterbuck for Garon + Malone + 4th round pick in 2013?

It gives both teams something that they need. You could always sub the 4th round pick for Panic, or Ashton, or Purcell, but for Purcell Min would have to add a prospect or draft pick.

vCash
    Well there are just a few problems. Just like Purcell, there is no where to really fit Malone into our top 6. And also Clutterbuck serves a bigger purpose for this team than you would imagine. He usually is top 5 in the league if not leading in hits and has the ability to score 20+. He is also a fan favorite, he will not be going anywhere.

I can see where Connely is untouchable, like I said we wouldnt want to give up one of our best. Richard Panik would definitely be a target though, maybe him garon and a pick for Harding and one of our shut down D prospects like Cuma?

vCash
    Link
    How much would you give up for Ben Bishop, and when would you do it? Or is it better to wait for the goaltender to hit the free-agent market before trying to snag him?

Those are the questions NHL general managers who need net help are asking, and it is safe to assume the Lightning's Steve Yzerman is among them.

Bishop, 25, who plays for AHL Peoria in the Blues organization, became the hottest young goalie on the market last week after St. Louis signed Brian Elliott to a two-year contract extension that solidified its tandem with Jaroslav Halak through 2013-14.

Bishop, 6 feet 7, 215 pounds, is 17-12-0 for the Rivermen with six shutouts, a 2.38 goals-against average and .926 save percentage. He is considered NHL ready and told AHL.com, "I expect to be in the NHL somewhere next year."

"He actually plays the puck really well for a big goaltender," said Lightning right wing Teddy Purcell, who played with Bishop at the University of Maine. "He takes up a lot of the net, and he's athletic.

vCash
    Honestly, I'd give up a lot if I'm Tampa. What is there to go back, though?

vCash
    I could see a package with Panik or Ashton perhaps as the centerpiece. Connolly needs to be off limits though...

vCash
    We had a good week but ... only because our offense outproduced some miserable goal preformances again.

I am with you guys ... if I was Stevie Y at this point I would be giving up anything short of Stamkos and Connolly.

I mean we have a ton of trade value outside of our top six.

Malone for example could thrive in the right system. Panic, Ashton, (though I would hate to give up Ashton honestly ... he could be the future St Louis to Connolly and Stamkos). Since we seem unwilling to use him Radko Gudas would make a great fit in Boston or Philly. He is a pitbull like Lucic ... yet Boucher refuses to use him when this team really needs some toughness.

I know the pundits say we are shallow in the talent pool ... but we are not ... there are just a lot of players that don't fit Bouchers system in our ranks ... why not trade them for some people who do.

vCash
    Think about this: During Tampa Bay's streak, Garon and Roloson have combined for a 2.38 GAA and .918 save percentage. Compare that to their combined 3.32 GAA for the season, the worst in the league entering Wednesday, and .890 save percentage, second-worst.

Nothing happens in a vacuum, though, and the team is playing much better in the defensive zone. Defensemen Pavel Kubina and Eric Brewer are a combined plus-14 during the streak.

Brewer, though, said it is time to credit the goalies, who for most of the season have taken the brunt of media and fan criticism: "It's been easy pickins' to take pot shots at our goalies, but they haven't had a lot of help."

"Early in the year we had a lot of breakdowns," defenseman Bruno Gervais said. "It's tough when you get 25 shots but nine of them are Grade A chances. We're giving less opportunities, but they're stepping up big time when it happens. They're keeping us in every game and giving us a chance to believe."

For Garon, most important is that a team fighting for its playoff life builds on its success. "We're playing with a lot of confidence right now," he said.

The goalies, too.

"Very often when asked about their games, goalies give credit to everybody in front of them," Boucher said. "Let's give them credit. They've played well."
    Link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast