Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ortiz accepts Arbitration; 2 year deal still possible

Gordon Edes
    Ortiz has officiallly accepted arbitration

Brian MacPherson
    As has been reported, David Ortiz will accept salary arbitration. If a multiyear deal is reached, it probably won't happen for a while.

I'll take him back. I hope it's only for one year though.

"I AM THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    I'll take him back. What are the details of the contract?
    Have to wait until they go to arbitration, unless they settle before hand, which the Red Sox always did under Theo. On a 1 year deal probably $14-$17M

If it's a 1 year deal worth $14-17M, I'd rather do 2 years $22M which is in the neighborhood of what he is looking for ($2 years, $25M).

DALLAS -- Speaking to WEEI.com by phone Wednesday night, David Ortiz confirmed that he will be accepting the Red Sox offer of arbitration.

It a procedure that the designated hitter said wasn't what he had planned on executing when his free agency period started.

"Not really," said Ortiz when asked if the end result of his free agent period was expected. "I wasn't expecting that, but things happen.

"It was a [hard decision], but sometimes things happen."

Ortiz, who did admit that he began to believe he would be accepting arbitration over the last few days, said he was not aware that the Red Sox had increased their two-year offer, which one source told WEEI.com was worth $9 million per season. The same source suggested the DH was looking for a two-year deal paying him $12.5 million per year.

While Ortiz' representatives will continue to negotiate with the Red Sox, seeking a multi-year deal, the designated hitter relayed that he viewed at least one positive out of the recent resolution.

"The good thing," he said, "is that it looks like I'll be playing in front of the Boston fans for another year."

By accepting arbitration, Ortiz has guaranteed himself a raise for the 2012 season from the $12.5 million he made in '11. The Red Sox have not gone through with an arbitration hearing since '02.
    http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/th...pt-arbitration

Write 2012 off. The blob just ate most of our discretionary budget, just like he hits the banquet tables.

How much less do we get out of Youk now? What if Ortiz has another dog year like 2009? I guess we get to see how good our minor league pitchers are now.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

told you all since 2010 he was a toolbag.....

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Write 2012 off. The blob just ate most of our discretionary budget, just like he hits the banquet tables.

How much less do we get out of Youk now? What if Ortiz has another dog year like 2009? I guess we get to see how good our minor league pitchers are now.
    x2........................

Crawford, Lackey and Jenks deals have screwed us.

Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    Crawford, Lackey and Jenks deals have screwed us.
    Dice wasn't too brilliant either, and if Buchholz can't stay healthy that could be seen as a mistake as well - but it will take a few years..

And now ladies and gentlemen I give you the blob that ate Brookline Ave...

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Dice wasn't too brilliant either, and if Buchholz can't stay healthy that could be seen as a mistake as well - but it will take a few years..

And now ladies and gentlemen I give you the blob that ate Brookline Ave...
    check in on another thread.....the talk is to try and obtain his little protege...

Quote Originally Posted by taffi101 View Post
    check in on another thread.....the talk is to try and obtain his little protege...
    Yeah I saw it. As a FA I might be tempted - but to cost us resources to get a guy that is over priced? No thanks.

$14-17m for a dh. Ouch.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    $14-17m for a dh. Ouch.

Yeah...maybe you guys will get lucky and A-Rod won't become a full time DH...$27.5m/year for a DH would be an ouch too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yeah...maybe you guys will get lucky and A-Rod won't become a full time DH...$27.5m/year for a DH would be an ouch too.
    It's insanity to leave Arod at 3B for good, you'll get more value at DH. He'll never make it til the end of 2017. Look at this games played, and his hitting sags since he moved from SS - at first it was barley nothing. It's gaining momentum now.

It's insanity to leave Arod at 3B for good, you'll get more value at DH. He'll never make it til the end of 2017. Look at this games played, and his hitting sags since he moved from SS - at first it was barley nothing. It's gaining momentum now.
    I know....it was sarcasm towards the yankee troll.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast