Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tek: Best catcher in Red Sox history

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseb...1218tek_check/

TEK CHECK

By Michael Silverman
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 - Updated 9 hours ago

He may ultimately be remembered best for the punch he delivered to Alex Rodriguez’ face in July 2004, but Jason Varitek [stats]’s 15-season run with the Red Sox [team stats] presumably ended last week with the signing of Kelly Shoppach.

Named captain after the ’04 season, Varitek is arguably the best catcher the Sox ever had. Here are some of his career highlights:

All-time Red Sox leader in games caught: 1,488

Fourth-longest tenured Red Sox without every playing for another team

Only player in history to catch four no-hitters
    First Red Sox catcher to win a Silver Slugger award (2005)

Just the 18th full-time captain in Sox history

Tallied 757 RBI, 10th-most in Sox history

Amassed 513 extra-base hits, 10th-most in Red Sox history

Just sixth catcher in MLB history with 300 doubles and 150 home runs

Notched 11 seasons with 10 or more home runs, most ever by a Red Sox catcher

Played in 14 postseason series — the most in franchise history

Ranks second in Red Sox postseason history in runs scored (37), hits (54), doubles (12) and home runs (11, tied with Manny Ramirez)

-Compiled by Michael Silverman/SOURCE: Red Sox

Darryl
    Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=507682257

In terms of service I would say probably yes, but Carlton Fisk was better imo.
    "You don't choose to be a Liverpool fan. You get chosen."
    Kenny Dalglish

Yea, 40.5 WAR in 11 seasons VS 24.8 in 15 it's not even close. Tek was a good catcher, thats where it ends.
    Signature removed because **** is a dodging filter

fisk is still better
    FIGHT OWENS FIGHT
    POWER. BOMB. EVERYBODY.

Fisk is the best but come on, Tek gets an honorable mention for, (my favorite youtube video) >>>

"He may ultimately be remembered best for the punch he delivered to Alex Rodriguez’ face in July 2004"

A-Rod & Varitek Fight

Honorable mention for not actually playing baseball. Playing baseball should even be talked about.
    Signature removed because **** is a dodging filter

He is SUCH a great game caller and prepares for his work better than maybe any catcher in baseball. I couldn't disrespect that if I tried.

We remember...

He's been amazing. But nobody touches Carbo. All pudge.

Fisk is better.

Originally from Pawtucket, now live near Albany
    Fisk, easily
    We need some Laser Show

After going 0-5 to start the season, gcoll says this..
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Is anyone here good at tying knots? My noose isn't holding. Could use some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by gotcabrera10 View Post
    He is SUCH a great game caller and prepares for his work better than maybe any catcher in baseball. I couldn't disrespect that if I tried.
    Yeah.. whatever. Fisk is a top 7 all time catcher (most of his big years were here), Tek isn't even in the top 25.

Also as far as violence against MFY are concerned: Fisk battles with Munson were more frequent then Tek's.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

told you all since 2010 he was a toolbag.....

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Yeah.. whatever. Fisk is a top 7 all time catcher (most of his big years were here), Tek isn't even in the top 25.
    Also as far as violence against MFY are concerned: Fisk battles with Munson were more frequent then Tek's.
    Tek had some offensive minded years for a catcher, Im gonna have to look that up.

Looks like you're right
    Last edited by Pavelb1; 12-18-2011 at 09:19 PM.

A) Fisk was miles better

B) Tek's "punch" to A-Rod's face was actually a feminine hand-in-face that had less power behind it then a 3 yr old girl swatting at a fly. He then attempted and failed to lift A-Rod into the air and power him down.

I don't get how that moment endeared him to so many fans... I lost a lot of respect for him after that so-called fight.

C) I've never seen any solid stats or proof that Tek had some kind of genius game calling. Some pitchers preferred him over backups, but many pitchers have their 'favorite'. Big f'n deal.

Now.... I was a big fan of Veritek as a player for all these years, don't get me wrong. But arguments like this are just silly.
    Last edited by JPBoston; 12-18-2011 at 11:38 PM.
    DodgersGM ‏@DodgersGM
    Josh Beckett grounds out to right field. #Dodgers #Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by JPBoston View Post
    A) Fisk was miles better

B) Tek's "punch" to A-Rod's face was actually a feminine hand-in-face that had less power behind it then a 3 yr old girl swatting at a fly. He then attempted and failed to lift A-Rod into the air and power him down.

I don't get how that moment endeared him to so many fans... I lost a lot of respect for him after that so-called fight.

C) I've never seen any solid stats or proof that Tek had some kind of genius game calling. Some pitchers preferred him over backups, but many pitchers have their 'favorite'. Big f'n deal.

Now.... I was a big fan of Veritek as a player for all these years, don't get me wrong. But arguments like this are just silly.
    So..you would have MORE respect if he knocked him out then piledrove him halfway into the mound?

That makes no sense.

Tough one here, and you can have a good argument for either Fisk or Tek. While many may feel that Fisk was the better player, I feel Tek was more important to the team.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast