Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    I would wait on Tangradi fpr at least 1 more season but the other 4, I wouldn't have a problem with, we have shown we have depth on the team and in the AHL.

No way I trade Crosby, he is not done. All of this speculation is from people who have no knowledge of the situation and have not heard any internal discussions. The day I believe he will retire, is the day I hear him say he is going to retire
    I agree totally. He is one hell of a tough young man. Good old Maritme boy, just down the way from me.

People call this kid soft. No way.... he is hurt, no doubt. If there was anyway for him to be on the ice, he would be there.

They will have to drag him off the ice kicking and screaming..............

vCash
    Rumors are finally coming out with Penguins being interested in Rutu (carolina), Hemsky(edmonton), Larose (carolina), and Ryan (anaheim). Which had me really sit back and think. Would you guys go after Ryan or Iginla or another big player if you knew sid was out the rest of the season?

vCash
    It all depends on the price they want and the players' contract. I'm short on time so I'm not going to look up contracts but if the main want was for defensemen, I probably would. The cost it would take for guys like Ryan (especially) or Iginla would be pretty massive, Calgary would want prospects I think and Anaheim is in need of defense, which we have (I mentioned it in the prospects thread). I have no idea what it would take for Ryan but if the cost was something like Morrow/Despres and someone like Martin and maybe even a mid-range pick, I would take it. Martin's contract would offset Ryan's, and they would get a very solid prospect in Despres/Morrow. I don't know, what do you guys think?

vCash
    well if they know more about crosby than we do, this is very likely, and he is done for the sesson (really hope not) what are the exact rules about a player on ir for the season don't they save part of there salary would love ryan or hemsky depending on price

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t2a2e9j12 View Post
    well if they know more about crosby than we do, this is very likely, and he is done for the sesson (really hope not) what are the exact rules about a player on ir for the season don't they save part of there salary would love ryan or hemsky depending on price
    Officially the injured player's salary still counts against the cap (minimum cap reasons) but in practice it doesn't because the team receives an injury allowance which hoists the Max cap number. A player does not have to be on IR the whole season for a team to receive an allowance as it is prorated. Same applies for suspensions oddly enough.

Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

It's Back!: Battling Bucs

vCash
    well lets hope crosby comes back and we dont have to worry bout it

vCash

Trade Ideas

These are my ideas for trades that the Pens can make, and to start off, these would only work if the Pens put Crosby on long term IR and do not reactivate him until the playoffs start, because the salary cap isn't in effect.

First:

Predators trade: D Ryan Suter and F Martin Erat

Pens trade: 1st and 2nd round picks in 2012, D Ben Lovejoy, F Dustin Jeffery and F Joe Vitale

Suter would help alot on the Pens' defense, and Erat would be a solid option to play along Crosby and Kunitz when Sid comes back in the playoffs. That also gives them another power play defenseman in Suter

Second:

Devils trade F Patrik Elias and D Andy Greene

Pens trade D Ben Lovejoy, F Dustin Jeffery and a 1st or 2nd round pick in 2012

Elias would play center until Crosby comes back, giving the pens another 1-2-3 punch, and he would then play on a line with Sid when he comes back, and Greene would help on defense. (Devils don't have anyone else good on defense, so Greene is the best choice)

Also, I do not hate Lovejoy and Jeffery, I just think that they can help with trade bait.

vCash
    First, welcome.

Second, that is way too much to give up in both trades. The Pens system isn't bad by any means but for the players you mentioned above, they are not worth nearly enough to warrant a 1st or 2nd.

Suter is a good defenseman but once Martin, Letang, and Engelland return, the defense will be fine, hell, it is now.

Elias is another good player but he is aging and once again, not worth the amount we would be giving up

vCash
    i don't think that would be giving up too much, the pens do not really need any more prospects right now, and they would be getting a late 1st round pick anyway. Also, I don't think you realize how good Suter is, I really think that he is better than Tanger. He may not be as slick, but damn, he has a cannon. Also, Elias is a veteran player with a Cup, and he can play center or wing. What do you think would be an apropriate trade off for them? I think maybe a 2nd round pick included in the Elias deal, but definately a 1st and possibly a 2nd in the Suter deal. Also, subbing in Weber in the Suter deal would work too. Just imagine these lines

Sullivan-Crosby-Erat
    Neal-Malkin-Kunitz
    Cooke-Staal-Dupuis
    Asham-Adams-Kennedy

Letang-Suter/Weber
    Michalek-Martin
    Orpik-Niskanen

That is definately a Stanely Cup team. (i'm too lazy to do the lines for the Elias trade, but you could imagine them too)

Also, do you remember how much the Thrashers got for Kovy? They got Oduya, 2 1st round picks, Bergfors, and a prospect. Elias is producing at a higher rate than Kovy, and he is probably worth more. A 1st round pick plus Jeffery isn't too much for him.

Finally (this is like my 4th edit), Jeffery, Lovejoy and Vitale would not even be in the lineup with a healthy team, even without the trades. So a great defenseman and a solid finese forward for some draft picks and 2 constant scratches on my team that would play for the other? That is a solid deal
    Last edited by penguins2946; 12-28-2011 at 11:45 PM.

vCash
    I don't mean to be ganging up on you lol, I guess we just have different opinions.

Teams can always use prospects, there should never be a time when a GM says "we are okay for now" and both Joe Morrow and Simon Despres were late round picks, Despres is already in the NHL. They may not have the impact earlier picks have but they are certainly still valuable.

Trust me, I know Suter is good, I completely agree but Letang isn't too far behind and he has 2 years on him. As I said earlier, our defense is already set, we don't need to be flipping picks and players for a position we already are stacked at. Don't forget we still have Bortuzzo, Strait, Morrow (in a year or two) and others.

I like Elias and he is definitely versatile but trading an upper round pick for an aging player isn't the smart thing to do. Now if that player were Parise and we could get a couple of months out of him, that's a different story.

The lines look nice but all of these trades you listed were without Crosby and his salary, we couldn't afford to take on those salaries on top of what we have with him in the lineup.

I do remember the Kovy trade but the only thing that would make Elias remotely more valuable than Kovalchuk right now is because of his contract. If Kovalchuk didn't have that monster contract, he would definitely be worth more than Elias. Jeffrey has a promising future and add in a 1st for a 25 year old, that's too much.

With a healthy defense, no, Lovejoy may not start but considering Bylsma carries a 7th defenseman, he is still important. Without the trades, one of Vitale or Jeffrey would be starting... Vitale is now

vCash
    Those lines would be playoff lines, because the salary cap is not in effect. For either of the deals to work, Shero would have to put Crosby on long term IR and to not reactivate him until playoffs. That wouldn't be bad, because we don't need him right now. Also, I don't think we need any more prospects because we have Morrow, Despres, Bennet, Tangredi, Thiessen and Samuelsson, and that isn't even mentioning that Malkin, Crosby and Staal will be playing for like 10 years or more. The whole Pens' roster is young, so i don't see an issue of trading our picks to a rebuilding team (Nashville and New Jersey I count as rebuilding, I'd also call them sellers)

Actually, reading over your previous post, Parise would be a better trade, because he is a UFA at the end of the season, while Elias still has 2 or 3 more years.

I also just realized about Hal Gill, would it be a good idea to bring him back?
    Last edited by penguins2946; 12-30-2011 at 11:45 PM.

vCash
    I doubt they would trade gill, but I will say that getting a stay at home defenseman may be a good idea. I think if we are gonna break the bank on a player I won't lie I would love it to be Eric Staal or Ryan from the Ducks. I really wanna see the Staal brothers play on the same line kinda like how the Canucks play with the Sedin Twins on the same line. Or I would like to see Ryan play on the same line with Neal. Could you imagine the amount of goals that would be scored? I think we have the means to pull off a good trade and I feel Tangradi would be the center piece of the penguins trade offer. I also feel if we are gonna go after a big cap number that Martin would be the first to be thrown in the package. I think the Penguins like in recent years have the tools to pull off a big trade this year but I don't see us making any extreme moves unless they know Sid isn't coming back for the rest of the season. I do see us making a move for a player who could be a free agent at the end of this year and that is a high risk high reward type. That is why I think so many Hemsky to Penguin rumors have been spread around because he could be the player we get for nothing more than a draft pick without breaking the bank for. Again tho if Sid doesn't come back and they know he may not don't be surprised to see us use his cap space to land a big name player to help in our playoff push this year.

vCash
    If you were wondering what my trades would look like it would be something on the lines of (but not exactly since one can argue for either team getting an unfair advantage)

If sid doesnt come back:

Carolina:Tangradi, Martin,Cooke,Picks: 3rd, 6th

Pens:Eric Staal,Larose(reminds me of Tyler Kennedy) , Jared Staal

Or

Pens: Bobby ryan, Cogliano(adds some speed to our team)

Ana: Martin, Cooke, 2nd and Tangradi

Or even

Penguins: Vermette, Brassard (to add speed and an extra Centers/wingers)

CBJ: Martin, Tangradi, 4th

If Sid comes back:

Penguins: Volchenkov, 5th

Devils:Martin

Or

Pens: Hemsky

Edmonton: Conditional Pick

vCash
    There would need to be more than a conditional pick for Hemsky. Also, i did have the idea of trading for Brassard, but he would be obsolete when Sid would come back, because he is a center. I don't think that the Pens would ever acquire Staal, because he has a monster salary (like 8.2 million). I wouldn't mind the Ryan trade, but if we were to trade Martin, we would need to get a defenseman back, like Lydman. The Martin -Volechankov trade would be bad, because believe it or not, Martin is better than Volechancov (not to mention we already have Michalek). If i were GM, I'd try to get Hemsky or another winger to be a rental, and possibly a big name Offensive Defenseman, like Weber or Suter, or a strong Defensive Defenseman, like Gill or maybe Greene from LA Kings.
    Last edited by penguins2946; 12-31-2011 at 12:14 PM.

vCash
    Brassard don't forget even though his primary position is Center also plays winger as well. Staal even with his 8.2 million salary only has a 7.7 cap hit and take Martins 5 million off and it would be somewhat manageable to keep Staal, but again I would take him over Iginla because of his age. We wouldn't need to get a d man back I feel like our d will do great if/when Letang gets back. Hemsky will only be had for a conditional pick no matter where he ends up based on how many games he plays because of his injury problems. It doesn't matter how talented a player is when he gets the injury bug his stock drops fast. Look at Gaborik no one even wanted to take a chance on trading for him, when he played for Minn., no way we get Weber or Suter they would be wayyy to much of a cap hit to have them to stay on the Penguins. Plus Weber is not going anywhere, he is their franchise player. Volchenkov was more of a move to add more toughness to our back end and at least get rid of some salary. Hence the pick was added from
    NJ's side. I think the Pens would look into a big named player they could get without breaking the bank and for D Jay Bouwmeester would be that player he would have a decent cap hit and we wouldnt over pay. Other that him or a little known d men I cant see us trading for D once Letang gets back from Injury.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast