Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    vCash
    Report: Leslie Frazier's assistant, Cam Turner, leaving Vikings

Minnesota Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said this week he hoped to return his entire staff intact.

At least one member apparently won't be back.

Cameron Turner, who served as assistant to the head coach the past two years, is leaving to take an offensive assistant position at Florida International University, coachingsearch.com reported on Thursday.

The move makes some sense. Turner's father, Ron Turner, recently became FIU's head coach. Ron Turner is the brother of ex-San Diego Chargers coach Norv Turner, who is Cameron's uncle.

Turner worked closely with Frazier, handling a variety of administrative tasks, and had an adjoining office.

Special teams coordinator Mike Priefer and Mike Singletary, who serves as co-linebackers coach and special assistant to Frazier, are expected to interview with the Chicago Bears. But no other staffers are known to have bolted.
    http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/R..._Vikings011013

“I can’t wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and we’re standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and we’re all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him he’s world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.”
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    @TomPelissero: Cam Turner, a bright young assistant who had adjoining office to Leslie Frazier, reportedly leaving #Vikings for FIU.

“I can’t wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and we’re standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and we’re all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him he’s world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.”
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by augipitcher3 View Post
    I'm not huge on firing anyone after one season, but with the personnel packages I've seen this year I think someone has to be accountable for the mistakes that are so obvious to anyone watching the Vikings. We have tons of weapons being under utilized. Harvin was the first example and it took the media to publicly humiliate Musgrave to finally start targeting Harvin and get him more snaps. Now it is Rudolph. The guy is a freak. Get him on the damn field. You are an NFL coordinator you should be able to see these things. I'm all for Musgrave taking a hike after the season!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...135291393.html
    100% agree with you.
    Hey coach. Do you have ANY idea what you are doing?
    Thats what I thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by logan44 View Post
    100% agree with you.
    You do realize that Augies post was written after last season right?

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    you do realize that augies post was written after last season right?
    hahaha.

vCash
    You do realize that Augies post was written after last season right?
    Woops. LOL! No I didn't. Sounded current to me cuz of Rudolph's numbers droping off at the end of the season.
    Last edited by logan44; 01-12-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Hey coach. Do you have ANY idea what you are doing?
    Thats what I thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by logan44 View Post
    Woops. LOL! No I didn't. Sounded current to me cuz of Rudolph's numbers droping off at the end of the season.
    Yup this thread was made in Dec 2011

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Yup this thread was made in Dec 2011
    Wow thats weird but if anyone needs to be replaced its Musgrave but at this point I dont dislike him as much as I did before. Im just overall happy with this team and what they did this season...It was fun and inspirational to anyone who has ever been called out in the beginning to not even have a chance...and we did.

vCash
    Paton out of Browns G.M. mix, but reason isn’t clear
    In the days after the Browns fired G.M. Tom Heckert, word emerged that the Browns requested permission to interview Vikings assistant G.M. George Paton.

But an interview never happened.

There are two different versions in league circles as to what happened. One source says that Paton passed. Another source says that the Vikings declined permission.

The latter suggests that the Browns’ General Manager position won’t entail, at least on paper, final say over the roster. If it did, the Vikings couldn’t have blocked either the interview or the hire.

There’s a chance, we suppose, that both the Vikings declined and Paton wasn’t interested.

Still, there’s now a valid question in Cleveland, especially since new coach Rob Chudzinski doesn’t have personnel experience: Who will have final say when it comes to picking players?
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...on-isnt-clear/

Figured I'd just as well put this here.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Mike Singletary wants another head coaching shot
    When the Bears were looking for a head coach to replace Lovie Smith, their list of candidates skewed heavily toward the offensive side of the ball.

Former 49ers head coach and Bears icon Mike Singletary was the exception. There were suggestions that Singletary, now the Vikings’ assistant head coach/linebackers coach, was just getting a look because he fulfilled the Rooney Rule requirements or because ownership requested a cursory meeting with a former Bears great. Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times points out that the Bears had already checked the Rooney Rule box when they spoke to Singletary while passing along quotes from Bears General Manager Phil Emery and chairman George McCaskey vouching for the seriousness of their interest.

Singletary felt it was a serious look as well and said that he hopes to get another head coaching job again in the near future. Singletary went 18-22 in parts of three seasons with the Niners and was asked if he thought the short history of minority candidates getting second chances would work against him getting another job.

“I just believe there are a lot of guys out there that are worthy,” Singletary said. “But there are also some white coaches out there who are worthy who don’t get interviews. So it goes both ways.”

If anything’s hurting Singletary right now other than his own record in San Francisco it could be the fact that the 49ers have had so much success in the last two years. Seeing Jim Harbaugh succeed with many of the same players that Singletary coached doesn’t look great for Singletary in hindsight, although there have been some key additions (Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick, for starters) that make it hard to read that much into it.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...coaching-shot/

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Souhan: Paths converged often for Frazier, Jim Harbaugh
    After the San Francisco 49ers won the NFC Championship Game last Sunday, Vikings coach Leslie Frazier texted his congratulations to 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh.

Harbaugh texted right back.

"He said, 'You congratulate me, but I want to congratulate you,'" Frazier said last week from Alabama, where he's scouting at the Senior Bowl. "Jim said, 'I want you to know how much me and my staff and our players respect you and the way your team plays, and the way your staff coaches.'

"That meant a lot to me. That was a big win for us to beat them this season.''

Harbaugh and Frazier have much in common. They were briefly teammates on the Bears of the mid-1980s, when Frazier was a star cornerback trying to recover from a knee injury, and Harbaugh a rookie quarterback. Now they are both NFC head coaches who made the playoffs while insisting that you can win big in the NFL by running the ball and playing physical defense.

Both have coached two full NFL seasons. Both have turned around franchises that won six games apiece in 2010. Their most intriguing similarity, though, is their choice of career paths.

Both chose to become head coaches at small colleges where they would receive little national attention, forgoing NFL perks for budget meetings.

In 1987, Frazier, his NFL career having ended because of a serious knee injury suffered in Super Bowl XX, became the first head coach at a start-up program at Trinity College near Chicago.

In 2004, Harbaugh, after helping with his father's program at Western Kentucky and working as a quarterbacks coach with the Oakland Raiders, became the head coach at the University of San Diego, then a Division I-AA program. Not San Diego State, which produced Marshall Faulk, but USD, which didn't award football scholarships.

Both found themselves dealing with budgets and logistics as well as recruiting and hiring staffs. Frazier thinks he made the wise, if more difficult, career choice.

"There are so many benefits, for me personally, that came from starting a program from scratch like that,'' Frazier said. "That afforded me the opportunity to do a lot of things that I would not have been able to do, or would not have been forced to do, had I taken another route.

"My first year, we were everybody's homecoming game. It wasn't long before we started winning championships and coach of the year awards, and we felt a great sense of accomplishment.''

Doing it all

With the Bears, Frazier played for famed defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan. When Ryan became the head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, he tried to hire Frazier, who had several NFL job offers.

NFL assistant coaches, particularly position coaches, work hard but deal with a limited number of players and bear a limited amount of responsibility. Frazier chose to be involved in, as Jerry Jones once put it, everything from "socks to jocks.''

"Starting a program meant selecting staff, taking care of the fields, picking the jerseys, dealing with budgets, learning how to interact with different people, and not just football people,'' Frazier said. "When Ken Meyer, the university president, brought me to a board meeting, I realized just how strong the opposition to football was on that campus. That helped me realize how much he had riding on me being successful.

"That was a bold move on his part, hiring me. For a small Christian college to bring in an African-American with no experience, to say 'This is the guy who's going to make us successful,' that was a challenge to me. And I had to get along with all kinds of different people. I couldn't just concentrate on football. I couldn't just sit in my office and watch film.

"I had to be multi-faceted, and that has helped me as a head coach in the NFL. I had to reach out to a lot of people in the Vikings organization, not just players, to help us change our culture. Being at Trinity showed me how to change a culture. Or, in that case, to create a culture.''

Early signs

Next Sunday, Harbaugh will coach the 49ers in the Super Bowl. The 49ers finished 6-10 in 2010 under Mike Singletary, now Frazier's assistant head coach. Under Harbaugh, they are 24-7-1 in two seasons.

Frazier and Harbaugh met in 1987, when Harbaugh was the Bears' first-round draft pick and Frazier was trying to rehabilitate his knee. Frazier can't say he saw a future head coach, but he recognized the maniacal competitiveness that would make Harbaugh a winner whether he was coaching the University of San Diego, or a downtrodden Stanford program, or a previously inept 49ers operation.

"I just knew he was a different kind of quarterback,'' Frazier said. "We still talk about Jim all the time. He worked out like he was a linebacker. He was so intense, every day.''

Last year, Frazier and his staff ran one of the teams at the Senior Bowl, an "honor'' reserved for coaches of struggling teams. This year, Frazier is attending the Senior Bowl as an observer.

Next year, Frazier hopes -- or maybe "plans'' is the better word -- to trade places with Harbaugh.

"You don't want to coach the Senior Bowl very often,'' Frazier said. "That means you didn't have a very good year. The goal is to be where Jim is, playing for the championship. So, next year, we don't think we should be at the Senior Bowl at all.''
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...1.html?refer=y

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Mike Singletary - DT - Vikings

The Rams interviewed Vikings assistant Mike Singletary for their defensive coordinator vacancy this week.
    Singletary landed the title of "special assistant to the head coach" and linebackers coach with ex-Bears teammate Leslie Frazier after flaming out as the 49ers' head coach. He's overseen Chad Greenway, Erin Henderson, and Jasper Brinkley's development over the past two seasons. The Rams are in the market
    rotoworld

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    I hope we keep Singletary. He's a good coach, maybe not head coach material but a damn good positional coach and one to keep players in check, old school. He won't put up with crap and I think we need someone in the lockeroom like that. He no doubt could be a good defensive coordinator, though I DO NOT want to get rid of Alan Williams by any means. Williams is on the verge of becoming a head coach in his own right I think. He reminds me of another Mike Tomlin coming from Tony Dungy’s coaching tree. Just getting his shot but will one day be a head coach somewhere, hopefully here if Frazier don't work out. I think our defensive turn around this past season has a lot to do with what Williams was able to bring from a teaching defensive play to the secondary. I give him a lot of credit for taking our defensive backs to the top of their game, esp. in Harrison Smith's ability to shine as a rookie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    Souhan: Paths converged often for Frazier, Jim Harbaugh

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...1.html?refer=y
    good find cheese. FRAZIER is gonna be a great coach. mark my words.

CUTLER, RODGERS, AND STAFFORD. MEET THE BARR EXAM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSmith22 View Post
    I hope we keep Singletary. He's a good coach, maybe not head coach material but a damn good positional coach and one to keep players in check, old school. He won't put up with crap and I think we need someone in the lockeroom like that. He no doubt could be a good defensive coordinator, though I DO NOT want to get rid of Alan Williams by any means. Williams is on the verge of becoming a head coach in his own right I think. He reminds me of another Mike Tomlin coming from Tony Dungy’s coaching tree. Just getting his shot but will one day be a head coach somewhere, hopefully here if Frazier don't work out. I think our defensive turn around this past season has a lot to do with what Williams was able to bring from a teaching defensive play to the secondary. I give him a lot of credit for taking our defensive backs to the top of their game, esp. in Harrison Smith's ability to shine as a rookie.
    hell yeah. Williams was a blessing coming from the colts. our d will only get better and better

CUTLER, RODGERS, AND STAFFORD. MEET THE BARR EXAM

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast