Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Dealing from Strength???

So we may have lost an All Star but we aren't in an out of control panic. Perhaps SA has the luxury of finding spare parts and upgrading via astute trades with another $14M to spend before he hits the $100M mark so he can deal from a position of strength. Don't trade the blue chippers and build from within...that's the long term winning formula.

If you look at it this way the Mets actually have a player slotted in for the entire pitching staff...all 11 spots are defined with a quality arm...the Misches and Igarashis are history...all we need is depth and solid performances, just average years, not even career years. Every spot in the starting lineup is defined as well...although we have big questionmarks as to which Torres will show up and can Murphy and Duda hold their own defensively. We do have enough talent to compete but with a very thin margin for error----just like last year when everyone except Reyes, Gee and Dickey was either hurt for long stretches and/or had a subpar year. Sign or trade for a few good backups/platoon guys [like Crisp or Endy Chavez, Nady or Cantu, IRod or Shoppach or Varitek] and a retread starter or two [Kazmir, Webb, CYoung, Marquis]and we're good to go.

Few teams lose so many young players to 60 day injuries in the same year...Davis, Wright, Niese and Murphy all were big losses and they are back this year. How many teams don't have gaping holes at this time of year or major disappointments [see Burnett, McLouth, Werth, Dunn, Crawford] that they are praying for a turnaround or are desperate to replace? Bay is our albatross but the new fences give us reason to hope he returns to All Star form this year. BTW I would not trade Wright---in fact signing him to a long term extension now would send the right message to the fans that the rebuilding will be brief and we should be able to compete in the meantime...no early 1980s or early 2000s like 100 loss seasons will be seen. And if the kids start coming through hope will return to Flushing....there's enough depair in the economy---this is supposed to be our escape! I hear Niese rumors----no bleeping way do you move a young lefty unless someone bowls you over and coming off a down year as his injuries effected his last month before he shut it down he is not at top value...he stays put! If someone made a big play for Murphy or Duda and offered great value in return and improved us defensively at the same time I could see that....Murphy is a defensive question mark that hit .320---could be very valuable for an AL team and he could be easily replaced by Havens anyway in less than a year if Havens ever stays healthy so let's see what magic SA can spin between now and March.
    Last edited by rdg515; 12-08-2011 at 03:57 AM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    There is nothing about what you say that says we are working from a position of strength. Its all about "ifs".

Am I misinterpreting something here?
    It's Bumper Car Season

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    There is nothing about what you say that says we are working from a position of strength. Its all about "ifs".

Am I misinterpreting something here?
    First of all thanks for the brunette and the sexiest walk I have ever seen...I'd pay to see what the front view looked like! Keep 'em coming.

The position of strength I refer to is we do not have any gaping holes with noone to fill them....some teams that have traded/lost their All Star RFer, SS and closer in the same four month period are usually scrambling to fill gaping holes....we have Francisco/Rauch, Tejada and Duda stepping in and SA can sign an old war horse like Renteria or Cabrera for depth in the middle infield with a small investment. Duda hit 12 50 in 300 ABs so projects to 25 100 across a full season....not a bad replacement for a $17M man. So SA has $14M left for shopping, some young chips he can use in trades for upgrades [Murphy, Pelfrey, Parnell] and a batch of prospects not named Harvey, Wheeler, Familia, Mejia and Nimmo [I would like to see WFlores, Havens and Puello evolve into future Mets but guys like Nieuwenhuis, Lagares, Valedspin, Lutz, Allen, Holt, van Dekker, etc. could be useful chips in a trade]. If a team only has three starting pitchers they are over a barrel when trying to fill the holes--we don't have that problem--and depth in the farm will prove to be a strength. Figure Davis, Wright, Duda, Thole and Tejada are set for a few years and either Murphy or Havens plays 2B....that's six lienup spots set with homegrown talent. When Bay and Torres are gone we will have Flores, Puello, CVaughn, Nimmo and Cecelianni all fighting for starting spots. That's depth that is one to three years away...same for the four aces on the farm. Only place we're thin is at catcher unless Forsythe or Gronauer emerge....I hope a top catcher is a priority in the amateur draft. The point is that if this current roster plays anywhere near their average seasons the Mets are contenders and SA becomes a buyer with money and chips in his pocket...let's see a little magic and be pleasantly surprised.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969