Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Goaltending, Mcphee you should be on the hotseat

The Capitals have been plagued by inconsistency in the net, not their defense nor the offense. Their were suggestions that Boudreau was keeping the reigns on Oveckhin's improvisation scoring tactics so it will be interesting to see if his play changes. Boudreau was the fasted coach in NHL history to 200 wins, I really dont think he was a bad hire nor do I believe the team is merely "not responding to him' that the "tank is empty" as Mcphee has suggested. If I may be so bold George, given our predicaments in net over the last 3 seasons and your recent history of changing out has been goaltenders for other has been goaltenders, is it not time to really make the investment in a younger proven stallwart in net? The shots we have allowed on goal are amongst the lowest in the league, our defense is playing fine, its our goaltenders plan and simple and this is most evident in the playoffs. It is ironic how when we had a terrific goal tender in Olie we had a horrible defense and now we have a very good d but not a goalie, thats the way the cookie crumbles I guess. I want to see Ovechkin return to form and I want Neuverith in net to gain the experience because both he and Voukun seem to be playing rather poorly and why not let the young guy get in a groove or see if he can maintain some consistent level of play, test him, during the season, and then if he is not working make that trade for a proven younger goaltender well before playoff time.

vCash
    Ok, you obviously aren't watching the games to make statements like that. First off our defense has been atrocious in almost every game since our 7-0 start. (Other than Nashville and a couple of other games) There was a reason why Dennis and Roman got benched for the last 12 minutes of the Rangers game. There is a reason why Backstrom has 25 points and is -6 on the season. They are not playing good team defense at all. It doesn't help when both of our goaltenders are cold and give up at least one bad goal a game. I'm not going to disagree with you about our goaltending though. Neither of the goaltenders are playing very well as of late.

But it seems like your argument is about two slumping goaltenders. Goaltenders have slumps just like players do. Let me tell you something, Vokoun is one of the best goaltenders in the league. He's given up at least one bad goal a night recently. Then with our forwards playing half *** defense and with a few of our defensemen playing like absolute trash it makes it look like it's the goaltenders fault. Look Neuvy is the future but I'm telling you right now, we are not going to win the Cup with Neuvy in net this year. We need a goaltender who can stand on his head and Vokoun did that in Nashville and Florida for a very long time. He was the single reason they won a lot of their games. I bet they will break this bad goaltending streak tonight.

McPhee is on the hot seat but I give him credit for solving our goaltending problem for this years run. If they don't win the Cup this year I GUARANTEE you that it is NOT because of the goaltender. It will be because of the NUCLEUS of this team. Semin, Backstrom, Ovechkin, and Green. If these players don't preform in the playoffs then we will lose. Easy as that. Every single year other than 2008 one or more of these players were non-existent.
    Last edited by chocolayo; 11-29-2011 at 12:14 PM.

vCash
    McPhee signed Vokoun for $1.5mil...absolutely unbelievable for a goalie of his caliber.

My question...Why the hell does Neuvirth have half of the starts that Vokoun has already? Vokoun is on pace for basically 50ish games. I'm curious to hear if this was BB's choice or McPhee's. Vokoun just needs to show some consistency, but the team needs to first by putting him in the net more than he has been.