Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 291
  1. #226
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,453
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldChamps1908 View Post
    I'm worried some of those younger RB's will want to transfer..Though aren't Hall, Hyde & Smith Seniors?
    Hyde and Hall will be seniors. They are done after this year.

    Only reason I'm not worried is everyone fits different roles and will get on the field in different ways. After this year we will have


    Smith
    Dunn
    Ball
    Elliott

    Its my personal opinion that this coming season Bri'onte Dunn will surpass Rod Smith on the depth chart. Dunn is stronger and faster and doesn't have the fumbling issues of rod smith. Meyer openly said that Dunn had issues picking up the playbook. If that's the case I think he will pass up Smith pretty easily.

    I think there will always be playing time for Elliott because of his play making ability, a better version of Jordan hall really. I think we will see a lot of Dunn and Elliot on the field at the same time in their careers running the triple option and making it a pain In the *** to defend Miller/Barrett, Dunn and Elliot.

    Another thing to keep in mind is Ball is redshirted so he will be a freshman as far as eligibility is concerned this year.

    So considering the fact that we will lose Hyde and Hall after this year, Smith the year after, I think we will have plenty of playing time for Dunn, Elliot and Ball. They just have to be patient

  2. #227
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,880
    vCash
    1500
    Have you seen the size of Smith!?? I doubt Dunn is stronger...but overall I believe Dunn is the better RB package.

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,556
    vCash
    1500
    Isn't 6'3" a little tall for the RB position? When he was recruited in 2010, he was recruited as a RB/WR player. He is 6'3", 228 lbs and ran a 4.6 40 out of high school. He is a little short (and lacks the blocking ability) to be a TE...though, looking at Aaron Hernandez, roughly the same size and speed, isn't quite fast enough to be a WR, and is (IMO) a little to tall to play RB...what if we were to hybridize him and make him into a RB/WR/TE type of player? On passing downs, he can line up at TE and create mismatches in that spot, in 3-4-5 WR sets, he could line up at one of the WR spots from time to time, and could still get a few carries at RB.

    I agree that Dunn will more than likely pass him up, but to say that he will do so in spite of his difficulties in picking up the playbook is a little premature. This is the same kid that got "busted" for possession of weed in my hometown and only got away with it because the police department in my hometown is a little corrupt. He got away scott free because they didn't press charges, so Ohio State had no reason to have him take a drug test (he was NEVER tested...I know this for a fact, his dad claimed he was, but he was NOT tested).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQaMLmRx_44 (amusing to watch...but makes him look like the complete dic* that he is).

    That said...he is a better prospect than Rod Smith.

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,453
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    Isn't 6'3" a little tall for the RB position? When he was recruited in 2010, he was recruited as a RB/WR player. He is 6'3", 228 lbs and ran a 4.6 40 out of high school. He is a little short (and lacks the blocking ability) to be a TE...though, looking at Aaron Hernandez, roughly the same size and speed, isn't quite fast enough to be a WR, and is (IMO) a little to tall to play RB...what if we were to hybridize him and make him into a RB/WR/TE type of player? On passing downs, he can line up at TE and create mismatches in that spot, in 3-4-5 WR sets, he could line up at one of the WR spots from time to time, and could still get a few carries at RB.

    I agree that Dunn will more than likely pass him up, but to say that he will do so in spite of his difficulties in picking up the playbook is a little premature. This is the same kid that got "busted" for possession of weed in my hometown and only got away with it because the police department in my hometown is a little corrupt. He got away scott free because they didn't press charges, so Ohio State had no reason to have him take a drug test (he was NEVER tested...I know this for a fact, his dad claimed he was, but he was NOT tested).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQaMLmRx_44 (amusing to watch...but makes him look like the complete dic* that he is).

    That said...he is a better prospect than Rod Smith.
    His weed violation had nothing to do with his depth chart position. It happened over a month before the season and he started out the year getting more carries than Smith.

    The only reason Smith got more playing time was because smith knew the offense better and was more prepared to play (as a redshirt sophomore he should be)

    As far as his personal life I don't care what he does, it's not my business but he needs to understand that his actions have consequences. I don't know the guy so I'm not gonna judge him over something I know nothing about other than what people say (not that I'm calling your statements false just that I know you personally as well as I know him or his family haha)


    But to sum it all up. IMO smith only played slightly more because of Dunn's inability to pick up a difficult system along with Smith being more college football experienced. His weed violation had little effect. And I love your idea on how to use Smoth, exactly how I would use him.

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,453
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldChamps1908 View Post
    Have you seen the size of Smith!?? I doubt Dunn is stronger...but overall I believe Dunn is the better RB package.

    I'm not saying that Dunn is going to come in and outlift him. But as far as his tackle breaking and being able to run guys over Dunn is better. This what I was referring to as "stronger" not neccessarily his actual lifting ability or body size. But stronger as far as tackle breaking ability and the ability to run through guys

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,556
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    His weed violation had nothing to do with his depth chart position. It happened over a month before the season and he started out the year getting more carries than Smith.

    The only reason Smith got more playing time was because smith knew the offense better and was more prepared to play (as a redshirt sophomore he should be)

    As far as his personal life I don't care what he does, it's not my business but he needs to understand that his actions have consequences. I don't know the guy so I'm not gonna judge him over something I know nothing about other than what people say (not that I'm calling your statements false just that I know you personally as well as I know him or his family haha)


    But to sum it all up. IMO smith only played slightly more because of Dunn's inability to pick up a difficult system along with Smith being more college football experienced. His weed violation had little effect. And I love your idea on how to use Smoth, exactly how I would use him.
    My point was that if he can't pick up the offense, he isn't moving up the depth chart. My statement about the weed incident was simply to illustrate just how "intelligent" the young man is. He was a "free agent" as a high schooler in my area...which was a freaking joke.

    I hope, for his sake, that he puts all of that nonsense behind him and reaches his potential, which is immense!

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,453
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    My point was that if he can't pick up the offense, he isn't moving up the depth chart. My statement about the weed incident was simply to illustrate just how "intelligent" the young man is. He was a "free agent" as a high schooler in my area...which was a freaking joke.

    I hope, for his sake, that he puts all of that nonsense behind him and reaches his potential, which is immense!
    Okay, I got your point now.

    But I don't think that makes him unintelligent just incredibly immature.

    What this young man really could use is a mentor and humbling

  8. #233
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,556
    vCash
    1500
    The Buckeyes have another speedy Percy Harvin type of player coming in this weekend. James Clark, out of New Smyrna Beach High School in Florida will be visiting this weekend along with Dontre Wilson.

    Clark is 5'11" tall, 170 lbs, and is listed on scout.com website as "one of the fastest players in the state of Florida." Sounds intriguing to say the least. He has also visited Clemson, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Purdue. He has other offers from Florida, Auburn, Notre Dame, Tennessee, West Virginia, Miami (FL), North Carolina, and a few others (no chancers). Visiting Northwestern and being offered by Notre Dame means that he is a pretty smart kid...which would be nice to have along with his ability.

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,556
    vCash
    1500
    The Buckeyes don't appear to be closing very strong.

    Donovan Munger opened his recruitment back up, and then recommitting to the Buckeyes yesterday.

    Looking on Scout.com and see that Ezekiel Elliott has also reopened his recruitment, considering the Buckeyes and Missouri.

    Vonn Bell to Tennessee or Alabama looks likely at this point.

    Reading that Dontre Wilson is down to Ohio State and Oregon...only reopened his recruitment due to Chip Kelly leaving, so I would think that unless THE Ohio State University impresses today that he is going to stick with his original decision as the Ducks kept a lot of their coaching staff in place and have been after him hard since being hired.

    The Robinson twins were rumored to be scheduling a visit with the Buckeyes, but Ohio State is no longer even on their list of schools (Oregon and USC are the 2 leading candidates).


    Meanwhile, that school up north is reportedly close to getting

    Time for Urban Meyer to pull some magic to finish off this class! Already strong, but doesn't look as good if you can't close strong. There are a couple more scholarships available for this class, need to fill them with 4/5 star kids since we lost 3 due to tattoogate.

  10. #235
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    portland
    Posts
    1,518
    vCash
    1500
    darren carrington jr., a four star wide reciever,is another oregon duck commit who plans to visit columbus soon
    ....pleasing the casual fan,while telling the hardcore fan to go to hell since 2006

  11. #236
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,453
    vCash
    1500
    Elliott is just visiting his in home school one last time, his parents went there and requested it, not an issue. He's said repeatedly he's 100% ohio state still

    I've also heard that the Wilson visit is going great

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,556
    vCash
    1500
    Derrick Green announced that he is going to that school up north. I am actually alright with that...he did NOTHING to impress me in the US Army All American game...which showed me that when he is up against upper echelon talent (which Ohio State's defense ALWAYS is), he becomes just another guy.

    Does anyone know the total number of scholarships that the Buckeyes have available for this recruiting class? I know that they lose 3 each year for this year and next due to the NCAA sanctions, but I can't find a definitive number that are available. In looking at the roster, I see 21 seniors (with Jordan Hall coming back next year), which would mean that there were 20 leaving for sure. I know that we have/will lose a couple players to transfer, eligibility issues, medical hardships, etc... Right now I see the class already at 22. How many more are they able to sign? Found a message board that there are 2 spots left, but it isn't anything official.

    That said, they have offers out and are thought to be have at least moderate interest (or had official visits) in: Vonn Bell, Dontre Wilson, James Clark, Cornelius Elder, Darren Carrington, Corey Smith, Dan Skipper, Jordan Cunningham, and Devin Lauderdale (unless they have pulled offers). That's 9 offers out there...hoping to come out on Signing Day with Bell and Wilson, but would be okay with 2 out of the group that includes Bell, Wilson, Clark, Elder

  13. #238
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,556
    vCash
    1500
    Dontre Wilson tweet yesterday afternoon/evening..."Tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear". The tweet has since been deleted, but if it was from him...doesn't look too good.

    James Clark looks like he had a very nice time at THE Ohio State University, however!

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,453
    vCash
    1500
    I dont buy much into the Wilson tweet. That coulda just been something as small the real in depth part of the process hadn't started and he was annoyed or it could mean something. Hard to make to much from a small tweet like that.

    But I'm not sure how many we can take it but I'm guessing we have 3 spots left. We had Verlon Reed, Southward, O'Connor and Crowell all transfer or have injury issues. We also could have more transfers. Pretty sure this class will end up at 25

  15. #240
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,556
    vCash
    1500
    RUH ROH!!! Not only did Ezekiel Elliot take an official visit to Missouri, but LB Trey Johnson also softened on his commitment to Ohio State by taking an official visit to Tennessee. There are rumors that Urban Meyer allegedly threatened to pull OSUs offer to Johnson if he took another visit...something to watch.

    Now...this may all mean that the number of scholarships are becoming scarce (in Columbus and elsewhere) and some of the commitments are starting to see that higher rated/similar prospects may wind up taking their playing time, which could be the cause of the waffling by some of the recruits. Elliot plays RB/the Percy Harvin role...so do Dontre Wilson and Cornelius Elder...this along with the already crowded RB depth chart could be a cause for concern for Elliot. The Johnson visit is a bit of a head scratcher...the Buckeyes aren't reported to be in on any other OLBs other than 3* Christopher Worley out of Glenville, who I hardly think would take his playing time away.

    Signing Day needs to get here ASAP...all of the will he/won't he is getting crazy. Keep Elliot, Johnson, and add Vonn Bell and Wilson...I will be happy!

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •