Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looks like Les Miles might be done at LSU

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...des-art-top-23

Will be interesting to see who LSU goes after if it does happen.

Not only interested to see what LSU does but also interested in see where Miles ends up

I think this entire situation is just flat out dumb.

A month ago LSU was in the national title picture with a Heisman frontrunner. Now they are talking about firing a man who has gone 110-31 (78%), 1 National Championship, 2 SEC Championships and has never won less than 8 games in a season.

Unrealistic expectations. Who are they gonna get that is gonna come in and be guaranteed to put them over the top? I'm not seeing anybody out there that I feel can move into this job and be guaranteed to have equal if not more success than Les Miles.

The name that everybody is saying is Jimbo Fisher. The people at LSU want them to go out and get Jimbo Fisher to replace Les Miles. A couple thoughts on that

(1) Les Miles has a $15 million buyout if removed from his contract.

(2) Jimbo Fisher would owe Florida State $5 million if he leaves before December 2016.

(3) Jimbo Fisher is currently making more money per year at Florida State ($5 million a year with annual raises) than Les Miles is at LSU ($4.3 million a year currently)

So you are looking at LSU being on the hook for $20 million right off the bat in buy out fees between the two contracts. Then they also are gonna have to pay Jimbo Fisher considerably more money than what they are currently paying Les Miles.... Because there is no way you can tell me that Jimbo Fisher is gonna leave Florida State to go to LSU for less money than what he is currently making or even the same money. And that is just taking money into consideration for him leaving because look at the situation.

(4) There is no division in college football like the SEC West. The SEC in general might be a little down but the SEC West is a monster year in and year out.... At Florida State you have Boston College, Wake Forrest, Syracuse, NC State, Louisville and Clemson in your division. At LSU you have Alabama, Florida, Ole Miss, Miss State, Texas A&M, Auburn and Arkansas every year.

(5) Look at how many programs that have had successful coaches and made a change to only end up worse off in the long-run.

Michigan when they dropped Lloyd Carr. A guy that was pretty much guaranteed to get you +9 wins and had 1 NC and 5 Big 10 Championships. They let him go and 5 of the next 7 seasons they ended up 7 wins or less. Just now getting back to relevance with Jim Harbaugh who was a homerun hire.

Texas when they dropped Mack Brown. That program is struggling with Charlie Strong.

Tennessee when they dropped Phil Fulmer. They have been struggling for years and are just now getting relevant again under Butch Jones.

Ohio State got lucky with a homerun hire of Urban Meyer or else they likely wouldn't be what they were under Tressel.

The point is that if LSU is gonna get rid of Les Miles they better have a homerun hire up their sleeve or else they will see that program fall lower than it is right now.... and looking around I don't see a realistic homerun hire. Maybe Chip Kelly?

Marcus Mariota

Quote Originally Posted by ROY 2 MVP Braun View Post
    Not only interested to see what LSU does but also interested in see where Miles ends up
    This. There would be no shortage of programs that would love to have Les Miles. And probably several that don't anticipate on having openings that would create an opening to hire the man.

Marcus Mariota

I'm shocked
    Be $wavy

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    The point is that if LSU is gonna get rid of Les Miles they better have a homerun hire up their sleeve or else they will see that program fall lower than it is right now.... and looking around I don't see a realistic homerun hire. Maybe Chip Kelly?
    My top 2 choices would be, in order, Kliff Kingsbury and Larry Fedora. LSU badly needs to update their offense, and either one of those guys would be perfect for the job. Plus, they both have SEC connections, which would help with recruiting.

Tom Herman's another possibility if his lack of HC experience isn't a concern.

Joe Schad reporting on ESPN that it could happen as soon as today. Might as well do it now and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by geauxtigers1989 View Post
    My top 2 choices would be, in order, Kliff Kingsbury and Larry Fedora. LSU badly needs to update their offense, and either one of those guys would be perfect for the job. Plus, they both have SEC connections, which would help with recruiting.

Tom Herman's another possibility if his lack of HC experience isn't a concern.
    I could maybe see Larry Fedora. The guy has taken Southern Miss and then a bigger program in North Carolina about as high as you could go at those schools. What would concern me is that it took him 3-4 years at both stops to turn in an improvement over the previous coaches. So is it his recruiting or his system? And I also think that people need to be cautious looking at North Carolina this year. So far they have only played 1 ranked team and haven't had to play Clemson, Florida State, Louisville etc. Let's see how they do against Clemson.

Why would you want Kliff Kingsbury? I would make the argument that Texas Tech is no better and maybe worse under Kingsbury than they were under Mike Leach or Tommy Tuberville. They have won 8, 4 and 7 (probably) games so far in 3 years under Kingsbury. Right now his record as a head coach is sitting at 18-18.... He is 9-1 non-conference and 9-17 in conference. Here are the 18 wins for Kingsbury these 3 years at Texas Tech.

Texas State
    Stephen F. Austin
    UTEP
    Central Arkansas
    Sam Houston State
    UTEP
    Kansas
    Kansas
    Kansas
    Iowa State
    Iowa State
    Iowa State
    SMU
    Arkansas
    Kansas State
    Arizona State
    West Virginia
    TCU

Marcus Mariota

Why would you want Kliff Kingsbury? I would make the argument that Texas Tech is no better and maybe worse under Kingsbury than they were under Mike Leach or Tommy Tuberville. They have won 8, 4 and 7 (probably) games so far in 3 years under Kingsbury. Right now his record as a head coach is sitting at 18-18.... He is 9-1 non-conference and 9-17 in conference.
    I think Kingsbury's system would be the perfect cure for LSU's offense. His record isn't a concern to me; Miles' record at OK St. wasn't overly impressive either. Kingsbury would get better recruits at LSU than at TT. Louisiana is every bit the football hotbed Texas is, and there's no instate competition to deal with.

(5) Look at how many programs that have had successful coaches and made a change to only end up worse off in the long-run.

Michigan when they dropped Lloyd Carr. A guy that was pretty much guaranteed to get you +9 wins and had 1 NC and 5 Big 10 Championships. They let him go and 5 of the next 7 seasons they ended up 7 wins or less. Just now getting back to relevance with Jim Harbaugh who was a homerun hire.

Texas when they dropped Mack Brown. That program is struggling with Charlie Strong.

Tennessee when they dropped Phil Fulmer. They have been struggling for years and are just now getting relevant again under Butch Jones.

Ohio State got lucky with a homerun hire of Urban Meyer or else they likely wouldn't be what they were under Tressel.

This is why I am wary about Georgia canning Richt, and why LSU should let Miles go out on his own terms. Though I will admit, what if Richt and Miles ended up coaching the others team next year? It would at least make for great headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by geauxtigers1989 View Post
    I think Kingsbury's system would be the perfect cure for LSU's offense. His record isn't a concern to me; Miles' record at OK St. wasn't overly impressive either. Kingsbury would get better recruits at LSU than at TT. Louisiana is every bit the football hotbed Texas is, and there's no instate competition to deal with.
    Texas Tech has been about on level with TCU, Kansas State, West Virginia etc. in terms of recruiting and yet unable to beat those teams.

Marcus Mariota

Nebraska is the big one to me. They were dominant for decades. Frank Solich was a solid replacement for Tom Osborne but they had unrealistic expectations, fire him after basically one average season. Then after a few years of mediocrity they find a solid coach in Bo Pellini, who's never won less than 9 games, and they fire the guy.

I think these proud schools hope to catch lightning in a bottle with like an Urban Meyer from Utah to Florida situation. Problem is that doesn't happen real often.

Texas Tech has been about on level with TCU, Kansas State, West Virginia etc. in terms of recruiting and yet unable to beat those teams.
    You're right, that is a little concerning. But still, I'm dying to see LSU operate with a modern offense and I think Kingsbury's system would do wonders.

Other coaches I like would be Herman and Fuente. Your thoughts?

So apparently Les said the A&M game will be his last at LSU.

I think this entire situation is just flat out dumb.

A month ago LSU was in the national title picture with a Heisman frontrunner. Now they are talking about firing a man who has gone 110-31 (78%), 1 National Championship, 2 SEC Championships and has never won less than 8 games in a season.

Unrealistic expectations. Who are they gonna get that is gonna come in and be guaranteed to put them over the top? I'm not seeing anybody out there that I feel can move into this job and be guaranteed to have equal if not more success than Les Miles.

The name that everybody is saying is Jimbo Fisher. The people at LSU want them to go out and get Jimbo Fisher to replace Les Miles. A couple thoughts on that

(1) Les Miles has a $15 million buyout if removed from his contract.

(2) Jimbo Fisher would owe Florida State $5 million if he leaves before December 2016.

(3) Jimbo Fisher is currently making more money per year at Florida State ($5 million a year with annual raises) than Les Miles is at LSU ($4.3 million a year currently)

So you are looking at LSU being on the hook for $20 million right off the bat in buy out fees between the two contracts. Then they also are gonna have to pay Jimbo Fisher considerably more money than what they are currently paying Les Miles.... Because there is no way you can tell me that Jimbo Fisher is gonna leave Florida State to go to LSU for less money than what he is currently making or even the same money. And that is just taking money into consideration for him leaving because look at the situation.

(4) There is no division in college football like the SEC West. The SEC in general might be a little down but the SEC West is a monster year in and year out.... At Florida State you have Boston College, Wake Forrest, Syracuse, NC State, Louisville and Clemson in your division. At LSU you have Alabama, Florida, Ole Miss, Miss State, Texas A&M, Auburn and Arkansas every year.

Completely agreed. This is insane.

To add one more -- Jimbo Fisher has one of the best jobs in the country at Florida State. Money talks obviously but how arrogant do you need to be to call LSU a step up? FSU will go all out to keep him, I assume, as well. The only way they get Fisher is if Jimbo has a personal preference with his prior LSU ties, but honestly I don't think they are very strong.

They're not poaching from a lesser conference here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast