Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who here...

vCash

Who here...

Plays or has played tennis before? Regularly though not just once or twice

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    Me. Recently I've been playing only sparingly, although I'm looking to become more active again.

vCash
    i ve just started playing the last two summers. On average maybe 3 times a week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    i ve just started playing the last two summers. On average maybe 3 times a week.
    What's your style? Do you like hitting through your opponent or do you prefer pusher tennis a la Murray or Ferrer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers4sho View Post
    What's your style? Do you like hitting through your opponent or do you prefer pusher tennis a la Murray or Ferrer?
    I am pusher. My friends call me Murray because i play like him. I am focusing on hitting flatter and playing the angles more.

I am still not that great but i can keep rallies now. I ve rallied with a 10 year old kid, who one of the best in Toronto, and i was able to hold my own.

The thing since i didnt learn tennis at a young age and i am learning from a coach, my form is not great.

vCash
    when i started i tried to play with top spin but unless you can hit it properly its useless. If you dont do it properly it just sits up. So i switched to flatter shots.

vCash
    I am pusher. My friends call me Murray because i play like him. I am focusing on hitting flatter and playing the angles more.

I am still not that great but i can keep rallies now. I ve rallied with a 10 year old kid, who one of the best in Toronto, and i was able to hold my own.

The thing since i didnt learn tennis at a young age and i am learning from a coach, my form is not great.
    That's cool. I've started playing freshman of high school year, which is like 4 years ago. Didn't really get serious into it until recently though.

Right now I'm working on my footwork because I find that everything becomes easier if you move well.

when i started i tried to play with top spin but unless you can hit it properly its useless. If you dont do it properly it just sits up. So i switched to flatter shots.
    I've been trying to hit with spin lately, and yes I agree with you haha. Although I'm getting better at it, most of the time I end up hitting it too high and too weak. Really inconsistent. Although whenever I hit it just right it plays really well to my strengths.

vCash
    That's cool. I've started playing freshman of high school year, which is like 4 years ago. Didn't really get serious into it until recently though.

Right now I'm working on my footwork because I find that everything becomes easier if you move well.

I've been trying to hit with spin lately, and yes I agree with you haha. Although I'm getting better at it, most of the time I end up hitting it too high and too weak. Really inconsistent. Although whenever I hit it just right it plays really well to my strengths.
    what kind playing style do you have? what courts do you play on? I play on a slow hard court.

vCash
    I only have access to slow/medium speed hards. I play pusher style tennis too. I enjoy it because it makes most of my opponents frustrated by "very dull" tennis. At times I enjoy coming to the net and hitting volleys as well, when the other guy doesn't expect it.

I'm working on my serve though. I'm reaaallly terrible at serving.

vCash
    I played in HS for 4 years..I was terrible at first but now im actually kind good
    I usually just switch hands instead of using a backhand...sounds crazy but it works for me haha

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    Did you guys know that Nadal is actually right handed but Uncle Toni taught him to play with his left so that it won't be a weakness?

Still he uses a two handed backhand, which is surprising to me.

vCash
    Did you guys know that Nadal is actually right handed but Uncle Toni taught him to play with his left so that it won't be a weakness?

Still he uses a two handed backhand, which is surprising to me.
    I dont think ambidextrous players have an advantage playing with a one handed backhand. I think the two hander suits nadals game more.

vCash
    2 forehands = the way to go

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    Interesting article with good tips.

Smalls Steps > Large Strides
    For many years, it’s been known that taking small, quick steps are far preferable to taking large, long strides. But why is this case?

“A majority of the shots we hit in tennis are within a metre or two on either side of us, so that’s why the small steps are so effective. Players are changing direction several times within a point, so the little steps help with maintaining balance,” says Ellenbecker.

“Obviously when you are one end of the court and have to sprint to the other side, covering the longest distance of the court, you have to take several large steps to even begin to move to the ball. But once you get closer to the ball, that’s when you see players taking these small transition steps that fine tune the position. These are so important to a player’s success in a rally.”

More Than One Drill
    Players use a variety of drills to train their footwork. And quite a few ATP World Tour tournaments make practice facilities or courts accessible for fans to watch, so check out these areas when attending your next event to see what the pros are doing. “This allows for a greater depth of learning as there are many different ways to improve footwork,” Ellenbecker says.

“A number of players use footballs to train their footwork. They kick balls back and forth, dribble the ball between their legs, and work on ball control. All these little fine movements and balances are intended for their footwork and it’s something anyone can do at home with a backyard.”

There are also ladder drills that let players work in a number of directions. “You can go forward, side-to-side and backwards. The ladder gives them framework to keep moving with quick, short steps.”

Players use foam pads and platforms to hone in on balance. “They land on these platforms back and forth to work on developing a balanced position with their feet. There is also the alley hop, when a player stands with their left foot on one side, and jumps across to the other end, landing on their right foot. By going up the alley and jumping back and forth, this helps with lateral direction and recovery.”

Making It Tennis Specific
    To make these drills tennis specific, players want to keep the following things in mind:
    1. While doing the drill, hold your racquet. As childish as that sounds, you never play tennis without your racquet. You won’t be running on the court empty handed, so why do it during a drill? It’s important to emulate the same balance point in a training exercise.
    2. Select a drill that involves directional changes. Within several points during a match, you will change direction multiple times, so adding an exercise that focuses on multi-directional movement will improve your footwork.
    3. Cover short distances, because a high percentage of shots you will be covering will be within two metres of your body. Training 100-metre sprints for example, is the wrong type of drill to implement in your footwork exercise plan.

Seeing Results
    As simple as it sounds, improved footwork in match play just happens naturally. “Whether it’s a recreational or professional player, if proper exercises are added to a training program, a player will see a carryover from training to their matches. He or she will move more effectively to their shots and will have greater recovery to the middle of the court.”

This is barring any shortcuts or compensating when a drill is too hard. “Sometimes the basic drills, such as jumping back and forth over a line or standing on one leg are just as important,” states Ellenbecker. “They are very complementary as they work on balance which is imperative to good footwork. Just because your feet are moving quickly doesn’t mean you can be out of balance with the rest of your body.”

Fitness First, Footwork Second
    In working on enhancing footwork, a player must be fit before increasing their training for it to be safe and integrated successfully. “A player needs to have a good base level of fitness. You don’t just decide to start footwork training, working on these high-intensity, explosive type drills. Always begin with basic aerobic and strength training before moving into advanced exercises.”
    Link

vCash
    I play against my brother and lose everytime.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast