Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Lightbulb ***Willis Reed VS Kareem Abdul-Jabbar***

Reed and Abdul Jabbar

The two really only met in the 1970 season, the 1970 playoff series, and the 1971 season. After that, Reed was hurt 1972 and was not the same in his final season.

In the two seasons that Reed was healthy, his Knicks beat the Bucks 12 out of 16 games. In 1971, when the Bucks were 66-16, the Knicks defeated Milwaukee four out of five times.

Reed frustrated Kareem on several occasions, including three times when he outscored him.

Nov. 3, 1970 : Knicks 112-108 : Reed 35 points | Jabbar 17 points
    Nov. 27, 1971 : Knicks 103-94 : Reed 34 points | Jabbar 33 points
    Jan. 26, 1971 : Knicks 107-98 : Reed 35 points | Jabbar 29 points

The Knicks won the 1970 title. The Bucks won the 1971 title. In 1973, the Knicks regained the belt. It would have been a wonderful battle throughout the 1970s if Reed had remained healthy. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar would wait a few years to face a formidable challenge. This time, it came not from a native New Yorker, but from another UCLA Center. Bill Walton would win his share of battles with Kareem as Willis did but similar to Reed, Walton's body gave out far too soon.

Marv Albert :
    "It seems to me, trying to remember all these years later, that Willis used to kill Kareem. Reed would outplay him. I used to think Kareem was afraid of him. He watched him in New York, growing up. There was always that possibility that Reed would deck him."

Pete Vecsey : "Willis Reed was one of the fiercest competitors you'll ever find. He wiped the deck with opponents. He once beat up four Lakers, he broke John Block's jaw... another time, he was in the middle of a huge brawl in Atlanta. He was a great team player and one of the all-time enforcers. His teammates loved him."

Marv Albert :
    "I remember what Vecsey was talking about. It was opening night at Madison Square Garden against the Lakers. John Block just happened to be in the way. Willis just lost it. He was being restrained, and I think he once got beat up as a child when restrained. So, a fight broke out, and Reed broke free from whomever was holding him back, and he just went up and down the Lakers bench. He got Rudy Larusso as well."

vCash
    Reed was underrated. A fierce competitor and defender. Gets lost in the discussion among great centers of that particular era.

vCash
    Brutes always have twig boy problems y

"It’s absolutely ludicrous” (to judge players based on whether they’ve won a title.)

vCash
    Reed was very underrated but let's not forget he was an experienced pro in Jabbar's early days (when he was Alcindor) backed by a much more talented and better coached team while Alcindor was expected to play savior for a team whose only other assets were Jon McGlocklin and Bob Dandridge.

A year later, when Alcindor (now Jabbar) had help in the form of one Oscar Robertson, he was able to lead his team to a championship.

Reed was great and he was one of my heros back when i was still a devoted Knicks fan. (Haven't followed them in years). But let's be real: Reed was no Jabbar.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 11-27-2011 at 02:07 AM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Reed was very underrated but let's not forget he was an experienced pro in Jabbar's early days (when he was Alcindor) backed by a much more talented and better coached team while Alcindor was expected to play savior for a team whose only other assets were Jon McGlocklin and Bob Dandridge.

A year later, when Alcindor (now Jabbar) had help in the form of one Oscar Robertson, he was able to lead his team to a championship.

Reed was great and he was one of my heros back when i was still a devoted Knicks fan. (Haven't followed them in years). But let's be real: Reed was no Jabbar.
    That about sums it up. I've never been big on Reed overall- I do think he is underrated in discussions for that time, but I see him as David Robinson to Hakeem.... comparable for a time, stifled him when they played, but overall not in the same tier at the end of their careers

vCash
    Reed had a much better team around him then Alcindor did initially w/ Bobby Dandridge.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Reed had a much better team around him then Alcindor did initially w/ Bobby Dandridge.
    In 1970 yes, 1971-1974 no.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    Those quotes came from Whos better whos best didnt it

"It’s absolutely ludicrous” (to judge players based on whether they’ve won a title.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Those quotes came from Whos better whos best didnt it
    The guy who was trying to rank Shaq #1 all time back in 2003?
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    In 1970 yes, 1971-1974 no.
    Like I said - initially. The Knicks remained better, and Jabbar's team did not. Cowens had his time of harassing Jabbar as well. Jabbar lasted forever and got better. Reed and Cowens didn't last nearly as long or play at such a high level night in and night out.

Jabbar 16 years > 10 WS (6 above Reed's best)

Reed 4 years > 10 WS
    Last edited by bagwell368; 10-01-2012 at 12:57 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....