Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Police Smashed Window, Tasered Passenger in Traffic Stop

I'll go ahead and put this right here.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...window-n219916

An Indiana man whose car window was smashed and who was Tasered by police after a traffic stop said Tuesday that "it felt like my civil rights were just thrown out the window, along with my body."

Lisa Mahone and her boyfriend Jamal Jones were driving on Sept. 24 in Hammond, Indiana, with Mahone's two kids in the back seat when Mahone was stopped and ticketed for driving without wearing a seat belt. The stop was caught on cellphone camera by Mahone's 14-year-old son.

"Thank goodness Joseph took the video, because the video stands for itself that these officers engaged in excessive force," attorney Dana Kurtz said in a news conference with the couple Tuesday.

In the video, officers ask Jones, who was in the passenger seat, to show his ID. However, he did not have his license on him. Officers then appear to draw guns and order him out of the car, prompting Mahone to call 911. The video shows police shattering the passenger window and using a stun-gun on Jones. Lawyers say the two children suffered minor cuts from flying glass. The lawsuit alleges excessive force, false arrest and battery.

In a statement earlier Tuesday, Hammond police said, "Police officers who make legal traffic stops are allowed to ask passengers inside of a stopped vehicle for identification and to request that they exit a stopped vehicle for the officer's safety without a requirement of reasonable suspicion. When the passenger displayed movements inside of the stopped vehicle that included placing his hand in places where the officer could not see, officers' concerns for their safety were heightened."

Mahone said since being pulled over, "I'm really in a state of shock."
    there is a video on the site of what happened.

vCash
    Certainly seems like the cops went wayyyy overboard
    10 Rec, 96 YD, 1TD
    injured.....again

vCash
    When the passenger displayed movements inside of the stopped vehicle that included placing his hand in places where the officer could not see
    I guess it might be smart to never do this...
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Ok.
    I'm In.

vCash
    He kept refusing to get out of the vehicle. I don't see the problem at all. He was resisting so they had to take measures. the Cops see suspicious movements and they don't know if he has a gun or some other weapon. They wanted him out of the car so they could talk to him. He could have avoided the whole thing by following directions

vCash
    I thought it would be interesting to see what type of comments this would get.

I saw some comments today on TV from CNN/HLN as well as on social media. the thing that kept getting mentioned was how this was happening to someone BLACK, and how this was racist. IMO this was not racist. they were stopped for not wearing a seat belt. the officers asked him multiple times to step out of the vehicle, which they were allowed to do. while the man may have not been a threat, the officers didn't know that. the officers asked him to step out and he was not cooperating. there was no reason for him to not cooperate. I can agree that it might have been unnecessary for the officer to smash the window when he did. I think it would have been better to have issued a warning first to let the man know they would use force if he did not cooperate. but I don't think the situation happened just because they were black.

vCash
    he should've followed instructions instead of being combative, obnoxious, arguing, resisting, and refusing to follow instructions. what did he think was going to happen?

Police: "ok sir. i guess we just have to let you go even though you can't identify yourself and refused to come out the car when asked. have a good day!"

one word: DUMB!
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    I thought it would be interesting to see what type of comments this would get.

I saw some comments today on TV from CNN/HLN as well as on social media. the thing that kept getting mentioned was how this was happening to someone BLACK, and how this was racist. IMO this was not racist. they were stopped for not wearing a seat belt. the officers asked him multiple times to step out of the vehicle, which they were allowed to do. while the man may have not been a threat, the officers didn't know that. the officers asked him to step out and he was not cooperating. there was no reason for him to not cooperate. I can agree that it might have been unnecessary for the officer to smash the window when he did. I think it would have been better to have issued a warning first to let the man know they would use force if he did not cooperate. but I don't think the situation happened just because they were black.

I don't know if this situation was an example of racism, but blacks have a multitude of reasons to fear the police, and statistics all back up those fears.

136-206, 66% CMP, 1,517 Yds, 7.36 Avg, 9 TD, 4 INTs, 60.9 QBR, 94.3 RTG

This man is making me question my sexuality

vCash
    Here we go again...
    I'm In.

vCash
    The officers did what they had to do. I can't fault them for that. When the fak are people gonna learn to cooperate? That's when bad things happen. However, I don't agree that they should be allowed to hassle passengers in a vehicle during a routine traffic stop unless one of them is in violation of the traffic laws, or there is clearly a reason like visible weapons, drugs, etc.

vCash
    Maybe the next time the guy should get out of the car?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenceman View Post
    I don't know if this situation was an example of racism, but blacks have a multitude of reasons to fear the police, and statistics all back up those fears.
    I can understand that. I can also understand how some of the time a black person can feel they are pulled over without a good reason. but in this case the reason was legitimate.
    I'm sure there have been police that have done wrong to black people and a reason for black people to fear the police. but one could also say there have been reasons white people should fear black people based on past experiences, but that doesn't mean all black people should be feared.

if the man had gotten out of the vehicle (even if he felt he didn't need to), then this situation would not have escalated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    The officers did what they had to do. I can't fault them for that. When the fak are people gonna learn to cooperate? That's when bad things happen. However, I don't agree that they should be allowed to hassle passengers in a vehicle during a routine traffic stop unless one of them is in violation of the traffic laws, or there is clearly a reason like visible weapons, drugs, etc.
    why did he have to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    I can understand that. I can also understand how some of the time a black person can feel they are pulled over without a good reason. but in this case the reason was legitimate.
    I'm sure there have been police that have done wrong to black people and a reason for black people to fear the police. but one could also say there have been reasons white people should fear black people based on past experiences, but that doesn't mean all black people should be feared.

if the man had gotten out of the vehicle (even if he felt he didn't need to), then this situation would not have escalated.
    So

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    So
    what so?
    the officers didn't know if he had anything on him. they asked him to get out of the vehicle. if he had gotten out of the vehicle when asked to to show that he was not a threat then the officers would have had no reason to continue the situation any further, and the couple could have been on their way with only the traffic ticket that was justified.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast